Electric Fencing

Well sorry but why should I tolerate someone else's pet sh*tting all over my property?

In my situation I have no idea who the cats belong to, so I should just suck it up?

If a dog was on your property would you just show tolerance?

Edited by Aussie3

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well sorry but why should I tolerate someone else's pet sh*tting all over my property?

In my situation I have no idea who the cats belong to, so I should just suck it up?

If a dog was on your property would you just show tolerance?

Same, I have had roaming cats come onto my property frightening the crap out of my birds to the extent that birds have died from fright because cat is climbing on their cages. After the council trapped quite a few cats a few years ago I have had no more problems.

Not to mention all the native wildlife and birds that come to my yard for the fruit trees, guess I should just let the cats rip them to pieces, being tolerant and all.

ETA: I was responding to a comment, why do people think they can dictate what gets talked about in threads? Dont worry I'm gone.

Edited by Aussie3

I get so depressed by the number of people on this forum who are so unfeeling in their dealing with cats. It is irresponsible owners who create the problem, not the cat. While the situation with feral/stray cats differs, recommending a likely death sentence (at the pound) as the first and only solution to a wandering cat, especially one where the home is known, lacks compassion. No, cats shouldn't be allowed to wander, and I understand it is frustrating for some people when they do, but the only real solution will be slow cultural change. Personally I prefer tolerance.

Please practice tolerance by noting that this thread was started for the purpose of asking people's advice and experience. :)

I get so depressed by the number of people on this forum who are so unfeeling in their dealing with cats. It is irresponsible owners who create the problem, not the cat. While the situation with feral/stray cats differs, recommending a likely death sentence (at the pound) as the first and only solution to a wandering cat, especially one where the home is known, lacks compassion. No, cats shouldn't be allowed to wander, and I understand it is frustrating for some people when they do, but the only real solution will be slow cultural change. Personally I prefer tolerance.

Please practice tolerance by noting that this thread was started for the purpose of asking people's advice and experience. :)

Quite true, and yes I will. As others have suggested an electric fence, even if legal, would probably be hard to erect in a way which would be effective against a cat. I have known cats who adapted to the special collar/cat flap well, but on the other hand I know my own elderly cat wouldn't. If the main problem is your cat having the opportunity to eat sufficient, would changing her diet to something that she LOVES work? I know that crunchies at my house are not that highly prized but some nice smelly, fishy mush disappears very quickly. He's not about to take any chances on missing out on his favourite.

Quite true, and yes I will. As others have suggested an electric fence, even if legal, would probably be hard to erect in a way which would be effective against a cat. I have known cats who adapted to the special collar/cat flap well, but on the other hand I know my own elderly cat wouldn't. If the main problem is your cat having the opportunity to eat sufficient, would changing her diet to something that she LOVES work? I know that crunchies at my house are not that highly prized but some nice smelly, fishy mush disappears very quickly. He's not about to take any chances on missing out on his favourite.

Thanks for that. I have discussed this in the Cat Forum, tried all sorts of different foods and strategies, hence now considering what appears to be the final option and that is how to keep Tippy out while maintaining good relations with neighbours and not harming any one or anything. :) :)

So did you look at the rollers that somebody has already suggested? Completely pain free and will keep out all cats and your cat will be contained in your yard but can still be outdoors. Does this not solve your problem?

Edited by BlackJaq

2 more suggestions that may be helpful.

To increase appetite in cats you can use Periactin. Its quite safe & is available at the chemist. Many breeders use it.

Check at the vets if you are not sure but do not buy it there. Its only about $8 or close for 100 tablets, the vet charges more than that for dispensing a few.

Try half a tablet every morning & again in the evening if the morning does makes no difference after a few days.

The other thing is if you know where the other cat comes in sprinkle lots of cheap white pepper around the area but your cat may get affected by it too.

Unpleasant but not harmful.

The way DD's yard is set up I don't think the rollers option is going to work... Gussy cat hangs out in the front yard from memory, and the front fence isn't high enough for a cat to not clear in one decent jump - if it doesn't just saunter in via the driveway... *grin*

From what I remember of the layout of the areas that DD needs to stop Tippy from coming in, the only really effective stopper is going to be the electronic cat flap so he/she can't access the house to steal Gussy's food. Setting up a ping string or the like may deter Gussy as well... and we certainly don't want that... errr!

Seriously though, do the owners of Tippy give a rats that he/she is roaming and being a nuisance? Do they actually want him/her, or do they think he/she can fend for him/herself?

Maybe reporting Tippy (and his/her owners) to council may result in a friendly reminder by the ranger that Tippy shouldn't be making a nuisance of him/herself all over the neighbourhood... ? They don't have to seize Tippy, just inform the owners about responsible cat ownership...

T.

Perosnally I just prefer them to be either kept in their own home or gone. I got sick of cats wandering through my yard and causing my dogs to bark, not to mention the risk they pose, should my dogs catch one of them. They have disposed of cats before I got the chance to catch them and the dogs risk being injured by the roaming cats.

I have a cat of my own. Love him to pieces and he lives inside 24/7 where he belongs

I live on the bush with a creek and am forced to pick up beheaded whip birds, mailed blue tongues and chewed ducklings. I even photographed a cat with a duckling in its mouth, council are no help. Yes it's the owners fault but if we wait for change we will have precious little native wildlife.

Maybe reporting Tippy (and his/her owners) to council may result in a friendly reminder by the ranger that Tippy shouldn't be making a nuisance of him/herself all over the neighbourhood... ? They don't have to seize Tippy, just inform the owners about responsible cat ownership...

T.

If they take action on one cat they have to take action on all cats & that includes any cat that is out, even in your own front garden, because cats can get out so easy.

The law has to be that either cats are not allowed outside or that they are.

Councils usually seize animals that are complained about if they are not inside the owners house so Danny darlings cat is likely to be seized too if they bother.

The current laws are that it is not illegal to let your cat out.

Its stupid to let your cat out & that applies to all.

It's not illegal for cats to be out, but that doesn't mean that they can become a nuisance by doing whatever they please at another neighbour's property.

Personally, I'd call council and have a chat with the ranger and see if they can maybe have a chat with Tippy's owner about his/her roaming and being a general nuisance in the neighbourhood. Note that I'm not advocating seizure of Tippy.

DD's cat doesn't roam - she stays in the front yard of her own property. She's a lovely and well behaved cat, and shouldn't be having her dinner stolen by the neighbourhood guts...

T.

Edited by tdierikx

1. Yes, I am aware of the roller tops for high walls and fences.

2. As T. says - such a system would not work in my place.

3. Considering most of the neighbourhood has seen me in the past walking the block with my cat following along behind, I have no right to nor intention of reporting any wandering cat to the Council.

4. Since becoming a venerable old lady, Gussy cat rarely leaves the front yard although she did join me on the footpath this evening while I was weeding. :D

5. Yes, I am well aware of the danger to our wildlife and believe that any new kitten should be brought up inside. Unfortunately, hell will freeze over and our wildlife will probably have disappeared by the time that happens.

6. That is not to say that change should not be attempted and legislated for. Microchipping was legislated in 1999. Nearly 14 years later, does anyone know the percentage of dogs and cats who end up in pounds are microchipped.

Edited by Danny's Darling

DD's cat doesn't roam - she stays in the front yard of her own property. She's a lovely and well behaved cat, and shouldn't be having her dinner stolen by the neighbourhood guts...

T.

:o She did when she was younger.

This is the neighbour's cat and post #4 will give you some idea why I won't be talking to them or the Council about him. :(

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/246439-can-you-see-what-i-see/

1. Yes, I am aware of the roller tops for high walls and fences.

2. As T. says - such a system would not work in my place.

3. Considering most of the neighbourhood has seen me in the past walking the block with my cat following along behind, I have no right to nor intention of reporting any wandering cat to the Council.

4. Since becoming a venerable old lady, Gussy cat rarely leaves the front yard although she did join me on the footpath this evening while I was weeding. :D

5. Yes, I am well aware of the danger to our wildlife and believe that any new kitten should be brought up inside. Unfortunately, hell will freeze over and our wildlife will probably have disappeared by the time that happens.

6. That is not to say that change should not be attempted and legislated for. Microchipping was legislated in 1999. Nearly 14 years later, does anyone know the percentage of dogs and cats who end up in pounds are microchipped.

As for the bolded part - Gussy is only going for a walk with you and the dogs - she doesn't roam at any other time, and she sticks with you when on walks anyways.

T.