Electric Fencing

Well, my own cat has walked under the electric fence for the horses a few times and touched it with his tail.

He certainly noticed that something bit him but to this day has not figured out what it is.

If I put the fence up in a new place he will walk under it and get zapped again but at least he is now avoiding the places where it has bit him before. Not sure if that is any help to you? You can buy electric netting btw, might be harder for the cat to get around it. Either way, your own cat might zap herself. I would look into the cat door somebody posted that read your cat's chip, that way it doesn't need to wear a collar to get in.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my own cat has walked under the electric fence for the horses a few times and touched it with his tail.

He certainly noticed that something bit him but to this day has not figured out what it is.

If I put the fence up in a new place he will walk under it and get zapped again but at least he is now avoiding the places where it has bit him before. Not sure if that is any help to you? You can buy electric netting btw, might be harder for the cat to get around it. Either way, your own cat might zap herself. I would look into the cat door somebody posted that read your cat's chip, that way it doesn't need to wear a collar to get in.

This seems to be the most likely candidate at this stage.

Well if you aren't going to trap the cat or call council, then you just have to put up with it's unwanted behaviour

Hence this thread about electric fences.

Electric fences are not an option, unless you want the RSPCA on your door step

Hence this thread about electric fences.

Electric netting? Sounds interesting, where did you see that BJ?

S

S

I found some links thanks to Google. AWESOME! I might be able to keep the rabbits off my garden and from stripping my trees. Wonder if it would deter snakes as well......

S

S

Yes, I was interested in that too and was thinking of places to put it to deter Tippy, but inside my yard so would not be a problem for people walking by or visiting.

Anyway, you can turn these things off, can't you?

You do realise that using electric fence for animals like dogs & cats is a chargeable cruelty offence don't you DD? I know that WIW has hinted at it but I'm not sure if you realised that was what she was saying? If you realised then I apologise.

As WIW said unless you are willing to complain to Council about the neighbour's cat I suspect you're stuck with it.

No, I didn't know that Trish, and that is exactly why I started this thread: to get people's advice and experience.

Wreckit just loves living up to her name and all that was needed was a calm explanation as you have given, not snide and nasty.

And, yes, I do realise that, at the end of all my queries, I may just have to live with the situation as it is. And that is absolutely fine and I will have to make adjustments to ensure that Gussy gets enough food.

I don't understand and never will that people come to DOL to ask questions and a certain few, we all know who they are, always try to make out that the person asking the questions is stupid and ignorant.

Well I'm here to tell you that I am not stupid, but yes, I am ignorant of very many things and the way to become "unignorant" is to ask questions.

The only result posters of Wreckit''s ilk achieve is to make themselves appear nasty, impatient and ill mannered. And they worry me not a scrap.

Well said...I know the frustration :) Some people just love to ruin your day, especially if you are a sensitive person. I think somewhere in your account you can block certain people from posting to you if they continue to upset you, but now I just ignore them & don't even bother reading what they have to say.

Well said...I know the frustration :) Some people just love to ruin your day, especially if you are a sensitive person. I think somewhere in your account you can block certain people from posting to you if they continue to upset you, but now I just ignore them & don't even bother reading what they have to say.

Yes, Sheena, they don't worry me because I have been on DOL for a long time and I know the way they work, but my blood boils for those who come here seeking assistance and they are treated very poorly. There are several DOLers whose posts I generally never read because they aren't not posting to be helpful, they are posting to try to annoy the OP, others, and/or to show off what they think is their superior knowledge.

It is pretty sad really, and mostly I just feel sorry for them; in my opinion, they are not even worth the extra 30 seconds it takes to click on the Ignore function. :)

16 Certain electrical devices not to be used upon animals

(1) In this section:

electrical device means a device of a type prescribed by the regulations.

sell includes:

(a) auction or exchange,

(b) offer, expose, supply or receive for sale, and

© send, forward or deliver for sale or on sale.

(2) A person shall not:

(a) use an electrical device upon an animal,

(b) sell any electrical device, or

© have in his or her possession or custody any electrical device.

Maximum penalty: 250 penalty units in the case of a corporation and 50 penalty units or imprisonment for 6 months, or both, in the case of an individual.

(3) Nothing in subsection (2) prevents a person from:

(a) using an electrical device upon an animal belonging to a prescribed species, or

(b) selling or having in his or her possession or custody an electrical device for use upon an animal belonging to a prescribed species.

WIW did say earlier to research POCTA which is where this information comes from, though I agree she could have been a little more obvious :laugh: . I'm trying to find the definition of prescribed animal without much success at the moment but my recollection is that prescribed animal refers to livestock.

Interestingly, rurally, many people use electric fencing to keep their dogs in, and I don't mean the collars that attach to an invisible fence. Though reading that section I would think that even those would be considered a cruelty offence.

WIW did say earlier to research POCTA which is where this information comes from, though I agree she could have been a little more obvious :laugh: . I'm trying to find the definition of prescribed animal without much success at the moment but my recollection is that prescribed animal refers to livestock.

That part of her post was lost to me because of her talk about trapping. :) And she is one of those posters I don't pay a great deal of attention to because of her aggressive manner.

I had to google to find what POCTA stood for.

Thank you Trish.

My brother thought his lovely old cat was fine to have loose in his yard because she never roamed. She was 16 years old and asleep on the front doorstep when two roaming dogs ripped her apart. $600 in vet bills and the cat didn't make it. :cry: So if your cat is going to be in the yard it should be confined to a fenced/netted back yard.

As for those people who want to keep cats out of the yard altogether. Camphor works perfectly as a cat deterent. Place it around the areas the cats frequent and replace every couple of weeks and the neighbouring cats will give your yard a miss.

Does it also give a definition of an 'electrical device'?

I use electric fencing to contain my horses specifically, but if it happens to also prevent my neighbours roaming dogs from entering their paddock to chase them, so be it.

I appreciate that by certain definitions companion animals are different to livestock. However, I still struggle with the concept of banning electronic collars and electric containment fences which, when used responsibly, may deter pets from engaging in potentially life-threatening behaviours (fence jumping, chasing cars, stock etc) and allowing a Rodeo Bronc to be hit with an electric prod if it doesn't want to leave the chute at a rodeo so that people can be entertained by it's fear and discomfort.

Totally arse-up logic if you ask me.

S

You set up any electric device to shock domestic animals and you risk being charged with cruelty and getting a criminal record.

How would you feel about somebody doing that to your cat?

For the last twenty years it has been socially unacceptable to allow a cat to wander. Keeping them confined is the best way to keep them regardless of what the cat thinks it wants.