Electric Fencing

Pardon me, Greymate, your Wreckit is showing. :) :)

If you listened to what she said in the first place others wouldn't have had to spell it out.

I wouldn't dream of giving somebody else's pet a shock. This isn't a very nice thread.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for those people who want to keep cats out of the yard altogether. Camphor works perfectly as a cat deterent. Place it around the areas the cats frequent and replace every couple of weeks and the neighbouring cats will give your yard a miss.

Thanks for this, I will give it a go, I'd prefer they just stayed away rather than trapping them.

Here are some links for electric netting in case nobody has posted it yet:

http://www.electricfenceaustralia.com.au/electric-fence-online-store/electric-fence-for-poultry.html

http://www.farmerswarehouse.com.au/product.php?productid=22168

They are intended for use on sheep and chickens and seem to work reasonably well for keeping foxes away from stock.

Edited by BlackJaq

If you listened to what she said in the first place others wouldn't have had to spell it out.

I wouldn't dream of giving somebody else's pet a shock. This isn't a very nice thread.

I have already spelt out why her sage advice slipped past the electrical fencing in my mind.

And, at the risk of having to spell it out yet again, this thread, nice or not, was started to get advice and experiences.

By the way, what did you have for dinner tonight?

As for those people who want to keep cats out of the yard altogether. Camphor works perfectly as a cat deterent. Place it around the areas the cats frequent and replace every couple of weeks and the neighbouring cats will give your yard a miss.

Thanks for this, I will give it a go, I'd prefer they just stayed away rather than trapping them.

I've never heard of this. I'll give it a go as well. I could place little balls of camphor (or maybe hanging strips if they are made ??) on the inside of the fence where Tippy generally comes in and where my cat doesn't go.

I've never heard of this. I'll give it a go as well. I could place little balls of camphor (or maybe hanging strips if they are made ??) on the inside of the fence where Tippy generally comes in and where my cat doesn't go.

The supermarkets sell camphor in little green plastic hangers that are meant to be hung in a wardrobe but they are great to hang on fences and trees that cats like to climb. The camphor just evaporates every couple of weeks when they are outdoors. We had cats climbing the tree in our front yard, peeing on our front door and climbing the fence at night to fight in our yard, once the dogs were in for the night. The camphor was my last resort before trapping them and it worked a treat. The cats would go through the neighbours yards and cross the street to get away from our place.

FWIW, I have a cat and I live rurally. Yowie is predominantly an indoor cat, but he does come out for a walk around my place with the dogs under supervision. He is also trained to walk on a harnass and he has an outdoor run. He is managed this way for his own safety and because I know he is a skilled and determined hunter.

As I said previously, I am aware of the laws with regards to domestic animals, but my fencing is specifically to keep my horses safer. My boundary fences are almost all netting, barring a section which I'm saving up to upgrade from ringlock to netting also. The netting has electric offsets on the horses side of the fence. Another section is three strand electric because the ground is too uneven currently to run netting tightly along it. I've already spent a small fortune on fencing to keep my animals in and to try to keep everyone elses out. To get hit by the electric fence the neighbouring hunting dogs would need to go completely over, through or under the boundary fencing. If they decide to breach the physical barrier and cop a zap that is enough to snap them out of prey drive, surely that's preferable to me having to shoot them to stop them ripping up my horses? :confused: I love dogs obviously so I would be extremely distressed if I had to do that, especially given I know it's not their fault, the buck stops with the owners. I've had issues with them previously and I've seen first hand the carnage after they have brought down wildlife. I initially went down the well worn path of contacting the Police/Stock Squad/Council, what a complete and utter waste of time!

S

Here are some links for electric netting in case nobody has posted it yet:

http://www.electricfenceaustralia.com.au/electric-fence-online-store/electric-fence-for-poultry.html

http://www.farmerswarehouse.com.au/product.php?productid=22168

They are intended for use on sheep and chickens and seem to work reasonably well for keeping foxes away from stock.

I will keep that in mind when my chook fence needs replacing. ATM I just have a couple of hot wires running around the fence low to the ground to keep foxes & dogs away. I din't know you could get a mesh :)