Bloody Snakes!

Nic.B

Have called my vet and am watching two of my dogs who picked up/played with a small RB (about 25 cm's maybe 30cm) in my house yard about an hour or so ago.

I can not stand snakes. I spent ALL day mowing the front paddocks of my five acres yesterday, I did the back paddocks the day before.

One means more :( and I am really upset. I posted re a RRB in my house yard a little while ago.

I called everyone I could to collect the snake, no luck. He or more than likely SHE was p'd off. Perhaps because she had babies nearby in in the house yard. The stupid thing kept heading right toward the house even when I redirected at least three times.

Stay aware!

I have just moved the horses around to be sure, I can not and will not take the risk.

Fingers crossed my two dogs will be ok, my vet is on standby.

I have the culprit in a large glass jar just in case the vet needs to sight it. It was lucky I didnt kill it out of frustration!

My yards and paddocks (the entire five acres) are 100% clear of any rubbish. The lawns are always very short in the house yard. The paddocks are mowed every week (appart form the paddocks the horses are in which have short, sweet pick) I rotate the horses on a weekly basis, once I move them the paddocks are mowed.

What am I doing wrong?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you get a flock of Guinea fowl and/or geese?

They are supposed to be good for chasing the snakes away (guineas are also good for keeping ticks down) - not sure how you dogs are with poultry though - the birds would need to be free-ranging to do their job and obviously couldn't if your dogs chase birds (as sadly, our young dogs do).

There not much you can do.

lm the same as you with keeping grass down and clean paddocks.

They just come in the yards anyway.

l had a tiger snake come into a area were there were 3 people having coffie and 4 dogs.

One of the people even tryed to kill it but without sucess.

Just for the damm thing to come back 1 hr later.

l had to get rid of it as it thought it was staying around :o

l hope your dogs are ok.lt sounds like a younger snake to me?

Mine would have been 12 mths old l think but there still deadly

I know brown snakes are lethal as hatchlings. Not sure on RRB. You can't eradicate snakes, they live all over this country. You can only try and minimise their comfort in your surroundings. They will still move through anyway, even if you have no habitat at all.

I posted about a Copperhead and RBB snake last week. The RB is still here. It's taken up residence only metres from the house but no one can help me as it goes down a hole and then cant be caught! Ive tried all the snake catchers in the area and they all say the same thing. So it looks like Im stuck with it :(

I posted about a Copperhead and RBB snake last week. The RB is still here. It's taken up residence only metres from the house but no one can help me as it goes down a hole and then cant be caught! Ive tried all the snake catchers in the area and they all say the same thing. So it looks like Im stuck with it :(

Try and place water away from there.

lt might be thirsty?/

l wouldnt be happy with him taken shelter there.

Strange. I've come across dozens of RBB in my life and every single one has left as quick as it could. I've seen a few launch themselves to get away. Maybe they're just scared up here.

l thought the same.Have never had a RBB stick around.

The last snake l was reffering to in the post above l thought it was a black snake

untill my son seen it dead.He states it was a tiger snake.

l had a black one years ago come out from under my house.lt was very dark in colour,but it also was a tiger snake.

Tigers seem to sick around if theres food or water around.

l would be getting a second option on the type of snake before you just think its a RBB.

They say snake camo themselves into the backgound.So if his in a hole he might even be a tiger snake?.

And if thats the case he just might hang around.

This is a baby RRB for sure. Anyway, sorry I ALWAYS panic and think WTF if they are in the house yard :scared:

Both dogs are fine and the snake is not injured at all. I have moved the horses.

A friend has taken it away to relocate. This baby snake is very lucky my friend was here at the time, I was so freaked out and sick and tired of snakes, after hours vet costs and the risks associated, I was ready to do something drastic out of sheer frustration!

Having said that I am glad I have had time to calm down and all appears to be ok.

If not for full supervision in the house yard for the dogs I dare say things would have been different.

I have pics of the snake and if anyone has any tips I can post pics of the house yard and paddocks. I really dont know if I can do anything more to put them off coming into the house yard :(

lt might be thirsty?/

There is water everywhere here, I am in a high rain fall area. He has water points all around him, dog water, duck pond, chook water, the dam etc. The dam he can get to easily, he is living right near my water tank though (which he cannot access water from). Im not happy with him being there, but I dont really have many options. I see him every day sunning himself but am just thankful that he is non confrontational and slips off to his hidey hole. He isn't alarmed by me and will happily sun himself with me pottering around but the second someone else tiptoes in he is off like a shot. I think he has been there for some time and is used to me. If I could get him on flat ground I would throw a bucket or something over him but he likes to hang out in bush (lavender and agapanthas) so it's impossible to trap him in that way.

I am just thankful that the Copperhead shot off in the other direction. The on Saturday, I had a hawk come and eat two of my beautiful chooks. So yeah, it's been country living at it's finest lately.

lt might be thirsty?/

There is water everywhere here, I am in a high rain fall area. He has water points all around him, dog water, duck pond, chook water, the dam etc. The dam he can get to easily, he is living right near my water tank though (which he cannot access water from). Im not happy with him being there, but I dont really have many options. I see him every day sunning himself but am just thankful that he is non confrontational and slips off to his hidey hole. He isn't alarmed by me and will happily sun himself with me pottering around but the second someone else tiptoes in he is off like a shot. I think he has been there for some time and is used to me. If I could get him on flat ground I would throw a bucket or something over him but he likes to hang out in bush (lavender and agapanthas) so it's impossible to trap him in that way.

I am just thankful that the Copperhead shot off in the other direction. The on Saturday, I had a hawk come and eat two of my beautiful chooks. So yeah, it's been country living at it's finest lately.

Ok thats makes it very diffcult.

We must be having the same at the moment.

lve also had chooks go missing.And l know its a hawk.

Bit tricky stopping the hawks also.

Hope you get him outta your garden soon as he might be happy but l doubt you are.

Dont try to catch or kill him unless you can kill him properly.

Some snakes dont like that and thats how people get bitten.

Best leave him up to someone that is experinced at that.

lt might be thirsty?/

I am so sorry Clyde :( We have also had heaps of rain, not sure if that makes a difference or not?

There are so many places snakes can get water and live on this property. Why they come into the house yard I will never understand :confused:

If you know where the snake is for sure, can he be relocated? You might have to jump up and down, tell them about your fears for your daughter and your dogs, animals etc. He is in your house yard after all.

The wires people told me snakes love aggy's and dig/hide under them :o Is there any way they can be safely removed with the wires guys? Just rip it all out until they find him?? I don't know really, just my thoughts.

I am so sorry for the loss of your chooks, I know how much you love them xx

It is illegal to kill snakes unless they are a direct threat anyway.

You are living on their land, people are building everywhere, pushing them out of their natural habitat.

Sorry to be blunt, I do respect living with nature and I truly love animals (not snakes, though I do not ever want to hurt them)

What am I to do? I have lived here 14 years, nothing has changed in the local area or upon this property. I live in a bit of a unique area :)

I have been very lucky so far and that is only through management of both my dogs and the property.

This little snake was in my dogs mouth before I could blink, on really short lawns (a number 2 out of 10 on the ride on) she dropped it and my large breed picked it up in a second :(

Seriously, it scares the life out of me, I am not sure how many more close calls I can possibly have. I was not looking forward to a $3000+ vet bill today after I do everything in my power to manage my dogs and this property against snakes.

Hope your dogs will be ok Nic B !

Its a worry where we live too, however our cavs are mostly inside. Altho it only takes one time i guess being outside!

Some people have those solar snake repellers around here, but i have heard mixed reports about how effecient they are.