Chronic Eating

No real suggestions here, but he's still young. My boy Thundercleese from around 15-ish months through til he was almost 2 coud not eat enough. As in, we were feeding him more than twice what the other dogs were, and he was still skinny as all heck, it was all just going into growing him upwards! Our neighbour actually called the RSPCA on us (not for any other reason than she was a meddlesome cow, we ended up in court with that nasty piece of work), but one of the reasons she cited was because he was too skinny. They said he could stand to put more weight on, but I showed the officer the portions we were feeding him and her eyes nearly popped out of her head!

If everything else is fine (he's wormed etc and no vet issues) I'd suggest he'll grow out of being too skinny. As for eating things he's not supposed to, if you figure it out could you come here and tell my lot? If it's within reach of a dogs mouth here, it will soon end up in one if you leave it unattended! :laugh:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thyroid problem could have him ravenously hungry....just a thought. Hope you can get this sorted out it must be so stressful for you having the worry all the time.

I followed up your suggestion of checking for something physical. Found, on PetMed, that there's a condition called Polyphagia where dogs are continually ravenously hungry. It says cause can be either psychological where it's a learned behaviour... or it comes from some condition. Can be associated with increasing age, early diabetes, some condition where food is poorly absorbed etc etc. Some good reading & suggestions:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_multi_polyphagia#.UT7QFxw_-yM

If he's ribby thats not that bad for a young dog. If he gained weight from the beef it means he's simply lacking calories, chicken wont provide as many but if thats all you can give them up it for him.

I think he's just a fit, hungry young dog

He is a dalmatian and dalmatians can be the greediest dogs on the planet - worse than labs and I have lived with both. I had one that learnt how to open the fridge and I had to put a lock on it to stop self service. After 30 years of living with dallies it is habit that anything that is not appropriate to disappear down a dally throat is high or behind a closed door. He is also still a puppy.

Have him checked out for any physical problems but you may just have a greedy dal.

Be careful about the amount of beef you feed him because of the purine levels particularly in a male dogs with their narrower urethra. I feed red meat a couple of times a week and the rest chicken or fish.

I agree with the others and do activities with him to stimulate his mind and tire him out. Dallies do have active minds and will find things to do like eat if not mentally stimulated.

ETA I only give Mishka about 100g of red meat when she does get it.

Edited by Janba

A muzzle would prevent and manage consumption of items unsuitable for ingestion.

Yes, this may be the only way, to keep a muzzle on when he is unsupervised. I'd still recommend plenty of chew items, but to stock him eating the lawnfood etc, a muzzle might be the only way.

Leaving a muzzled dog unsupervised is incredibly dangerous and stupid.

I tend to agree its dangerous, especially when you have 2 dogs and one of them is Gus lol, so I dont think I would muzzle him, but crating could work... after reading everyones posts mental stimulation would be our friend here. Having actual food around is out of the question unless both dogs are seperated.

There are different types of muzzle. You would need a basket style, one that allows panting and drinking. But yes, not recommended for extended periods.

When the dog is home alone, distractions such as tots and chews may help, but ultimately separating him from potentially harmful “edibles” is the only option.

It's not just a matter of being able to pant or drink. I'm very familiar with the different types of muzzles and all of them involve some kind of strap around the head. Many dogs can remove them anyway if they get a few minutes to work at it and if the muzzle is made tight enough to prevent that, you're placing the dog at serious risk if it snags the muzzle on something.

It doesn't matter how long the muzzle is on for, unsupervised is unsupervised, an accident can happen in a matter of minutes.

You have two possible reasons for this behaviour - physiological and psychological.

I agree with those who suggest you have some bloodwork done to eliminate a thyroid issue as a possible cause. Your vet may have other suggestions for the cause, possibly from a nutritional perspective.

If that doesn't turn up anything, then I'd see a qualified veterinary behaviourist to see what they might offer in the way of a solution.

These conditions can be harmful to the dog. Ingesting non-food related objects is never good.

Good luck getting to the bottom of it. It must be quite worrying.

When the dog is home alone, distractions such as tots and chews may help, but ultimately separating him from potentially harmful edibles is the only option.

:laugh: assuming you meant toys, not the kids.

To get back on topic, he isn't on cortisone is he? That can make them really hungry.

Edited by m-j

When the dog is home alone, distractions such as tots and chews may help, but ultimately separating him from potentially harmful “edibles” is the only option.

:laugh: assuming you meant toys, not the kids.

To get back on topic, he isn't on cortisone is he? That can make them really hungry.

His on nothing but love lol.

Ill make a vet appointment to get a full round check up and blood work and take it from there I think, process of elimination is best.

• 2 weeks later...

I called a vet to get some blood work done and they said the only thing they can test is his electrolytes :S his not dehydrated! and she asked about his diet and I told her and she did say that he would be deficient in Iron and Calcium but to test the iron a sample of his liver would need to be taken.

Is this correct or is there a specific blood test I can do?? Also I cant just give him iron tablets because he can OD on that so my question is how do they know the correct amount to give him if they cant test his levels without taking a sample

OK.. has he been checked by a reputable behaviourist , especially one who is also a veterinarian?

The possibility of O C D in canine form is now suggesting itself to me .....

oh, and please be careful with the macadamias :( they are toxic apparently.

Oh .. I remember reading that iron deficiency aneamia can be a cause of pica .....are his gums a good colour?

I called a vet to get some blood work done and they said the only thing they can test is his electrolytes

??????

(and it may be something new , but I've not heard of a liver sample test for anaemia ) :o ..just blood tests .

Edited by persephone

I'm not a vet, but I would have thought they could test iron much the way they do in humans?

Did you phone another vet, just to get another opinion on the blood tests?

I just googled, and google told me blood tests are pretty standard for testing dogs iron levels...

I'm not a vet, but I would have thought they could test iron much the way they do in humans?

Did you phone another vet, just to get another opinion on the blood tests?

I just googled, and google told me blood tests are pretty standard for testing dogs iron levels...

This is what I thought but apparently it is not accurate and the only accurate way to test for iron is a liver sample, I will get another opinion, we have been to this vet before and they were excellent but I spoke to someone else so I'll call around.

I havent seen any behaviourist about it yet I guess I want to do a process of elimination starting with the physical factors, his Gums are pinky not overly red. I have also heard that about the macadamias I spoke to our local vet and apparently some dogs are fine with it... Gus and Nala seems to be fine with it.... new house has no macadamias :D !!

• 3 weeks later...

This vet appointment can not come any sooner!!! I couldn't get in for another 2 weeks, Gus had a HUGE dinner and one would think any other dog would be rolling on his tummy with fullness.... but no he was whimpering ALL night so I woke up and he has gone through the whole rubbish bin and eaten all its editable content luckily he didn't eat any of the foil or plastic but he did eat some chicken bones, he seems good as gold this morning but JESUS!! the dog is so highly strung and constantly eats!.

I have that problem with Renae, has been going on for ages. One possible cause could be Cushings, I am yet to have her properly tested for it, (in past tests her levels have been down) but because shes 11 and not 100 percent well, i dont want to put her through many more tests at this stage..

I also have her on some anxiety powder, which is helping calm her down a bit with her excessive need of wanting food..

My kitchen cupboards are all scratched up from Renae pawing at them all the time..

Just remembered i had replied earlier in this post when you first did it., and diabetes and cushings were my concerns.smile.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I'm really surprised your vet said they could only test for electrolytes. I've just had my cat Calypso at the vets because she's stopped eating but they'd did full blood work on her to test kidney, liver and thyroid problems.

I feel your pain because Zeus is a food scrounger too, however, he's still nothing like your poor Gus. Zeus will be on the constant lookout for food, but he's at a healthy weight and does not eat anything that isn't food. He helps himself to the apples from our trees, but only ever eats food.

I'd definitely try having him tested for hypothyroidism, because I think this condition causes the dog to be always hungry.

I also noticed you mentioning he can't eat beef or liver. Have you tried him on kangaroo meat as well? If not, it might be a way to go as it's good for protein but lower in fat.

Best of luck with poor Gus. I hope you get some answers very soon! :hug:

See another vet. Blood tests are routine for picking up thryoid problem etc. A vet who told me they could not do a blood test for whatever reason would not fill me with confidence. Hope you can find the problem it must be so worrying.

I am seeing another vet but I did call a few and when I said full blood work they were so lost, Kangaroo meat is very high in purines these things are ruled out/ very moderate in his diet because of purine levels

+ = Moderate purines

++= High Purines

• Lamb +, rabbit +, beef +, pork +

• Tuna +, sardines +, octopus +, peanuts +

• Kidney ++, liver ++, kangaroo ++, venison ++, buffalo ++

• Caviar ++, scallops ++, anchovies ++, shellfish ++

the dog is so highly strung

he's a dally :) lol.

Since getting Cleo a thundershirt, she whines less when she can see me/can't get to me. Calms her down noticeably within minutes. Not that Im saying Gus needs it.

Poor thing, I hope you get this sorted for him soon. Cleo is a food machine but nowhere near this extent! There is a Dalmatian group on facebook that I'm a member of, it's dallies of Aus and NZ and it's all owners and breeders. You may get more dally specific advice there? We all know about purines there :) PM me if you want details.

I woke up and he has gone through the whole rubbish bin and eaten all its editable content

:(

Methinks garbage bins should be well locked away , if he's so obsessed ...poor boy .

Lol he was locked away!!, evidently not locked away enough the bin was on the kitchen bench as well... Last night he came on my bed was the biggest ordeal he was wriggling like the biggest worm, then after about 15 minutes he settled and fell asleep.

I think the thunder shirt might be a good idea dotdashdot