Dogs V Humans

Pollywaffle

I can't really compare the two. I love my dog so very much, but I am very devoted to my husband. That said, the love I feel is different for them both.

Cleo is like my baby, she depends on me and I treat her like a child, I love her because she's a dog and she has soft smooshy ears and she lets me act like an idiot and doesn't judge me.

My husband is my life partner, soulmate, some one I can't dream of living without. I don't smoosh his ears and act like an idiot with him. He is my best friend that I can talk to about anything. I can't talk to Cleo, I feel weird having a serious conversation with a dog. Matt is as devoted to the dog as I am, and shares my dream of breeding and showing champions.

When it comes to other humans though, it's hard. I honestly don't know what I would do in a dog v.s human situation and hope I never have to deal with it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If my husband or partner told me it me or the dogs, well it would be the dogs as a person who cares about you shouldn't try to force a choice.

I love my animals with all my heart and I love my family with all my heart but they are different. I had my special cat who dies very suddenly many years ago. I wondered if I would eve find another cat that came close. Many years on, I have in the most unexpected of places and kind of when I wasn't looking :)

There is no choice for me. they are both loved very much.

My husband does say I care about the animals more than him, I just tell him you can feed yourself and open the door, they can't!

As our Jack Russell lost a battle with a brown snake yesterday, grief is saying "dogs first" We have never shed so many tears or felt so devastated in our lives. I guess it totally depends on circumstances.

Di

Sorry for your loss tikira. :(

I do prefer the company of my dogs as they dont stab you in the back like some people do. So I changed the people I hang out with and now most of my friends have dogs and most of them feel the same

I'm sorry about Jack :(

Roo is my best friend and family. I have friends I've had for twenty years, every time I've had to choose between them or Roo I've chosen Roo without thinking. Maybe I love my brother more than Roo. Maybe. Not sure.

I will always ensure the welfare of my pets to the best of my ability, but my kids come first.

Yep.

And I honestly thought that would be obvious. Apparently not to some.

I agree, I love my dog, we had him way before we even thought of having kids, but my son/ unborn child definately come first and I could never put an animal before my kids (or hubby, for that matter)

Human family first, animals fits into that. My dog is loved and cared for but he is not treated like a partner or a child, he is treated like a dog.

I will always ensure the welfare of my pets to the best of my ability, but my kids come first.

Yep.

And I honestly thought that would be obvious. Apparently not to some.

I agree, I love my dog, we had him way before we even thought of having kids, but my son/ unborn child definately come first and I could never put an animal before my kids (or hubby, for that matter)

Human family first, animals fits into that. My dog is loved and cared for but he is not treated like a partner or a child, he is treated like a dog.

Agree with stari. And I honestly believe that since I had the girlchild and we started treating the dogs more as dogs than little furry humans, they have been far far happier.

Seems to be a common misconception that if you like your dog more than people that you are treating it like a 'furry little human', that's not always true.....the reason I like my dogs more than people is because they AREN'T 'furry little humans' and ARE treated like dogs.

They are entirely different things and I don't see the need to compare. I'm single but I hope the love that I have for my dogs is a different type of love I'd have for a partner, which would be a different type of love I'd have for my kids.

I love my dogs and will always do what I can to ensure they have happy, fulfilled lives. However, if I had to chose between saving a random child that I didn't even know (or one I didn't like) and my dogs, I would always put the humans first. I don't believe that someone's worth is dictated by how much I personally love them.

Fergus would understand, no doubt. Lucy, not so much :) .

When someone puts their animal's needs so much higher than their own needs then I don't think they're doing themselves or their animals any favours.

ETA: I see my dogs as part of the family too, just not human members

This sums up how I feel about the matter :)

Seems to be a common misconception that if you like your dog more than people that you are treating it like a 'furry little human', that's not always true.....the reason I like my dogs more than people is because they AREN'T 'furry little humans' and ARE treated like dogs.

I agree ^^

I agree ^^

Agree, in my case though it wasn't a judgement on how others see their dogs, just on the way I saw mine pre-kidlet. I guess you could say they were filling that hole, especially cos back then we were told we medically couldn't have kids. My relationship with my dogs is different now, as I said, and they're happier and so are we. Not that we love them less, just differently.

Although doof may as well be a kid, he shows more interest in the girlchild's toys than she does at times :laugh:

Same here.

I don't have children and yes my dogs are very important to me. I don't want to get into the kid vs dog in a burning building debate because I have been there before. My dogs are my world because really I don't have much else. Not that I feel "wo is me" but I don't have any family so they make ME happy. I love coming home to them, I love the fact that they are the happiest dogs in the world even when I just go to the letterbox, yes they are challenging but what would I do without them :shrug: My dogs are not a substitute for children and to be quite honest that sh*ts me. I never wanted children so how would I replace something I never wanted? My dogs make me happy...and isn't that what lifes all about?

If my husband or partner told me it me or the dogs, well it would be the dogs as a person who cares about you shouldn't try to force a choice.

This!

My dogs make me happy...and isn't that what lifes all about?

And this!

Yes my immediate family and husband come 'first', but the dogs depend on us and I don't ever want to let them down.

I don't have children and yes my dogs are very important to me. I don't want to get into the kid vs dog in a burning building debate because I have been there before. My dogs are my world because really I don't have much else. Not that I feel "wo is me" but I don't have any family so they make ME happy. I love coming home to them, I love the fact that they are the happiest dogs in the world even when I just go to the letterbox, yes they are challenging but what would I do without them :shrug: My dogs are not a substitute for children and to be quite honest that sh*ts me. I never wanted children so how would I replace something I never wanted? My dogs make me happy...and isn't that what lifes all about?

I agree :)

I don't have kids, don't want them. I honestly don't know what I'd do if it came to a burning building scenario type thing between random strangers or my pets. With family, yeah, I'd probably save them first, but either way I don't know how I'd be able to live with myself.

Nathan's pretty aware that he comes first, but by a very very very small margin. And if he put me to an ultimatum, well, he'd be out the door before he'd finished the sentence. I'm a firm believer that in most situations, anyone who makes you choose isn't worth choosing.

He also knows that I'd give him (and all the animals, and my stuff, and well, pretty much everything) up in a heartbeat if I could have my heart rat Zero back. I think it's nice that he's accepted the fact that he'll always hold second place in my heart to a dead rat :laugh: He's a good man :)

And as for preferring the company of animals, well, it's not so much that I prefer animals to people as I just don't really like people very much. Never have :)

Edited by disintegratus

They are entirely different things and I don't see the need to compare. I'm single but I hope the love that I have for my dogs is a different type of love I'd have for a partner, which would be a different type of love I'd have for my kids.<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);"><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">I love my dogs and will always do what I can to ensure they have happy, fulfilled lives. However, if I had to chose between saving a random child that I didn't even know (or one I didn't like) and my dogs, I would always put the humans first.

yes.....

That's exactly how I feel SM :)

I don't have children and don't treat my dogs like children either. My animals mean the world to me and they make me happy, to me that's what is important to me, just like other people's children or oh are important to them.