Top Obedience Dog Crufts 2013 In Cabaret

As well as being Britain's Top Obedience Dog for 2012, Crufts Obedience Dog winner 2012, being a member of Britain's Obedience team, which came second to the Netherlands in the Crufts International Obedience (with handler Mary Ray winning top handler of that competition), Levi (Ob Ch Colliewood Blue Jeans) strutted his Heelwork to Music stuff in the Main Arena on Best in Show night at Crufts with Freestyle 2nd and 4th place getter Richard Curtis, and his 2nd place winning Bearded Collie Whizzy.

Enjoy!

:D

And here's a link to the obedience 'demo' at presentation to the Obedience winners of the Dog and Bitch Obedience Championships. (starts about 2 minutes in)

Thanks for sharing - I loved both video's! The enthusiasm of the dogs is inspiring.

What really stood out for me in the Obedience video is that both handlers have their heads tilted down and they're 'almost' looking at their dogs while heeling. I've been struggling with this, thinking I should be holding my head up and looking forward. My girl's struggling with this because I'm obviously disconnecting from her and she then loses focus. Opinions??

Edited by gsdog2

Thanks for sharing - I loved both video's! The enthusiasm of the dogs is inspiring.

What really stood out for me in the Obedience video is that both handlers have their heads tilted down and they're 'almost' looking at their dogs while heeling. I've been struggling with this, thinking I should be holding my head up and looking forward. My girl's struggling with this because I'm obviously disconnecting from her and she then loses focus. Opinions??

Perhaps because I've been inspired by and been to training courses with Mary Ray, and other similar trainers, I give a high priority to maintaining a connection with my dog. To me it's all about teamwork. There's a happy medium between looking straight ahead, and really looking down (which isn't always helpful - makes you walk crooked, and can push the dog back.) There's an article in this month's Dogs Vic mag which explains how you can get a head position which enables you to focus forward while keeping connection with your dog, assuming the dog is in heel position. (Probably works best for medium and above - marder for small dogs.)

JMHO. Has worked for me so far.

Perhaps because I've been inspired by and been to training courses with Mary Ray, and other similar trainers, I give a high priority to maintaining a connection with my dog. To me it's all about teamwork. There's a happy medium between looking straight ahead, and really looking down (which isn't always helpful - makes you walk crooked, and can push the dog back.) There's an article in this month's Dogs Vic mag which explains how you can get a head position which enables you to focus forward while keeping connection with your dog, assuming the dog is in heel position. (Probably works best for medium and above - marder for small dogs.)

JMHO. Has worked for me so far.

Being in Qld I'm wondering if I can access that Vic. article over the net?

Trying to find that happy medium is my issue. Initially I was walking all over the place so I was advised to hold my head up and focus on something ahead (tree or pole etc). The consequence of that though is that I lose connection with my dog. I have been told she's obviously looking at me trying to get that eye contact. That's why I find this video interesting - they manage to walk a straight line while keeping their head down and 'almost' looking at their dog.

gsdog2 if you have no luck finding anything online give me a pm after easter and I'll see if I can't send you a photo copy of the article or a spare gazette. Sure I can come up with something. :) The article is by Lea Cogley who is just lovely.