How To Find A Dog-friendly Rental In Melbourne ?

LabsRock61a

Yep - inner West is great for dog parks, beaches etc too. Try Williams RE in Williamstown - they assume a place is pet friendly unless the landlord specifically asks that it not be - I know because I've rented out a place there before (dog friendly of course!).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you end up in Newport/Willy I might see you down the dog parks/beaches!

It's a great area to be a dog owner. The council will only let you have two dogs, but getting a permit for more is not too tricky. My dogs and I frequent a few of the local cafes, and they are all very welcoming to dogs, providing water and even sometimes saving the leftover bacon. One cafe even makes dog treats to give out to customers with pets.

If you do end up here, send me a PM and I'm happy to meet you at the parks. My dogs love labradors!

Umm, am I the only person who hasn't told my estate agent about my pets? I never have.

For the last 10 years since leaving home I have rented with pets and never put them on my application, to date I have not had any issues.

I have been at my current house for 14 months, I have 2 Italian Greyhounds, approx 60 snakes and a shed full of rodents lol I live in Kew in Melbourne's inner East.

I would advise not to tell the agents. If your dog is well trained and does not damage the property then in my opinion they don't need to know.

The property managers in Melbourne as you say are 12 year olds in suits, they have no clue and swear they just pluck applications out like a 'lucky dip'!!

Have you never had an inspection?

I wouldnt mind the dogs or snakes, but I would be furious about the shed full of rodents if I was a landlord (having firsthand experience with breeding rodents in the past)

Umm, am I the only person who hasn't told my estate agent about my pets? I never have.

For the last 10 years since leaving home I have rented with pets and never put them on my application, to date I have not had any issues.

I have been at my current house for 14 months, I have 2 Italian Greyhounds, approx 60 snakes and a shed full of rodents lol I live in Kew in Melbourne's inner East.

I would advise not to tell the agents. If your dog is well trained and does not damage the property then in my opinion they don't need to know.

The property managers in Melbourne as you say are 12 year olds in suits, they have no clue and swear they just pluck applications out like a 'lucky dip'!!

You have got to be kidding, it's people like you that make is so very difficult for those that are honest to find a place to rent with a pet and it's people like you who have agents tell owners, put not pets allowed as it makes their life easier.

What's the OP going to do when they omit the not so small detail of a dog and find themselves in hot water with an agent later.

Actually in Vic unless the contract says no pets it is against the law for a landlord to forbid pets.

There's still the small matter of people lying to agents or not bothering to tell them in the first place.

It's no wonder that many people with renatal properties do not want to rent to those with pets. Renters forget that it's not actually their property and it belongs the the landlord.

Actually in Vic unless the contract says no pets it is against the law for a landlord to forbid pets.

There's still the small matter of people lying to agents or not bothering to tell them in the first place.

It's no wonder that many people with renatal properties do not want to rent to those with pets. Renters forget that it's not actually their property and it belongs the the landlord.

Exactly.

I am a renter and I have never ever lied about the pets I own! I find it downright disgusting and so dishonest of others to lie about pets in someone elses investment property!

I have never had a problem renting with pets in Melbourne & I have been honest & applied for them. Hubby & I have a 100% approval on all rentals we applied for with pets & no problems.

We just applied & had a pet resume on all applications as well as the sugestion of a pet bond (i believe this is illegal to actually take but does make you look like you care & take pet ownership seriously).

My in-laws just moved from sa with their dog are renting while they look for their home to buy. Followed my advice & too have a 100% sucess rate & had no problems.

Someone once told me people look at if you have kids more so that a pet dog. Dogs are less likely to cause damage than kids I guess...

Goodluck & welcome to Melbourne!

I inspected my current property which didn't stipulate pets or no-pets but after we met the agent she went to bat for us with the owners and they agreed to 'one small dog.'

All was great until we went to get the keys and sign everything on the day we were moving in. The agent had us sign a 'this dog will be an outside dog ONLY at all times' form which was never discussed or agreed upon verbally prior. My partner and I were pretty annoyed about this because she is 80% inside and 20% outside if she's having a good day. Didn't know whether to push it or leave it, but decided to fight other battles with them (of which there are many and varied) and just let that one go.

Regardless of the signed form, if there was any damage from the dog within the property we'd have to pay for it anyway so I'm still unsure if I should have refused to sign it and told them she'd be coming inside. Again, I'm like a broken record, but the day I never have to sign another lease is a fantastic day to look forward to...

My experience was much like the OPs. If I searched for pet friendly rentals is get like one or two max.

OP some tips are to ask if pets are accepted on application, sometimes they actually surprise you and say yes.

You could offer to pay a pet bond.

Make up a resume for the dog with your references etc.

We had to live in total shit holes to rent with our dogs, doesn't help that they're large either.

We moved to Melbourne late last year, currently living in Brunswick. We did the rounds, walked up and down Sydney Rd to all the real estates and asked each office about the rentals that suited us to see if they were pet friendly. I was surprised at how many were. I guess coming from Sydney where it took us 6 months to find a pet friendly place, we found a place in one weekend here. We did do it at a better time. End of year with plenty of places available. None of the places we applied for / were told were pet friendly were advertised as so.

At inspections, try to hog the agent. I found the places that we made the effort and spoke to the agent about general stuff, why we were moving etc not just about the property, were much more inclined to chase up with the owner. In fact most of them told us to submit applications so that we didn't miss out if the owners came back with a yes.

We were lucky and on our first weekend of inspections we viewed 6 places, submitted applications for 5, 4 of those 5 places accepted us and we ended up taking our second preferred property (our first pref came back as not accepting pets).

But i believe it was the face-to-face time. If you send an email, or call them, it is easy for them to ignore you. If you are at their desks asking, or chatting away at inspections they remember you and tend to get back.

Also when going to inspections dress nice, smart casual i guess i would call it. First impressions last.

I hope you find something soon, house hunting is a b&$ch!!

Might be worth trying a little further out too, where you're looking is pretty competitive already. I'm just up the road from Northcote in Preston and I reckon you'd have a lot more luck trying here, maybe Reservoir or Bundoora (although possibly a little too far out), Coburg, Ascot Vale, Heidelberg Heights/West, northern parts of Thornbury, etc. None of them are too far from Parkville.

This time of year can be a little tricky for accommodation in the north as uni students have settled in for the year and you're looking in an area that houses students from 3 unis (Melbourne, Latrobe and RMIT), so it's going to be more of a challenge!

Edited by jaybeece

I wouldnt mind the dogs or snakes, but I would be furious about the shed full of rodents if I was a landlord (having firsthand experience with breeding rodents in the past)

Why would you be furious about the rodents??

You have got to be kidding, it's people like you that make is so very difficult for those that are honest to find a place to rent with a pet and it's people like you who have agents tell owners, put not pets allowed as it makes their life easier.

What's the OP going to do when they omit the not so small detail of a dog and find themselves in hot water with an agent later.

'People like you'?? How so? How have I ruined it for other renters with pets?

You seem to have judged me as an irresponsible pet owner?? You seem to have assumed the reaction and treatment I have received from previous agents upon them inspecting the property. It's people like you who jump to assumptions making them look a fool before actually asking questions......

I have rented for 11 years. I have had pets for those 11 years. I have not disclosed my pets whilst looking for a rental property...... That makes me a bad person how??

You fail to see the positives from this and only dwell on the negative. Have you ever thought that when the agents come and inspect my property and see an immaculately clean and tidy property that also has well maintained gardens etc WITH PETS and think to themselves, oh, pets don't necessarily mean faeces on the floor and bad smells and dirty carpets. Their views on pet ownership in rentals is positive after inspecting my house.

Upon inspections I have NEVER had issues with an agent. They are always intrigued by the reptiles, besotted with my dogs and pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness of the house. I have never been asked to leave, I have never paid rent late, I have never had any issues with and agent.

So please, remind me how I make it difficult for others???

Because they chew, which means huge potential for damage, they smell no matter how clean you think they are (which I imagine is why you have them in a shed, we did too) and they attract other pests like rats.

We own so we could do what we like, but I would never allow a shed full of breeding rats or mice in any rental property of mine. I would also insist on regular inspections if you had pets..do you have inspections?

I really can't understand the logic to this. If the tenant is not being honest about owning a dog, what difference would it make to put 'no pets' on the lease? They're going to hide the dog regardless.

I don't think Iggylover meant that she lies about the pets anyway, just that she has never specifically asked permission to have them.

Because they chew, which means huge potential for damage, they smell no matter how clean you think they are (which I imagine is why you have them in a shed, we did too) and they attract other pests like rats.

We own so we could do what we like, but I would never allow a shed full of breeding rats or mice in any rental property of mine. I would also insist on regular inspections if you had pets..do you have inspections?

My rodents are kept in very secure laboratory style cages where there is NO chance of escape.

Wild rodents are a health risk to my rodents so its also in my best interests to ensure wild rodents are controlled.

I can assure you that my 2 neighbours who keep chickens attract more pests than mine do.

Also the smell...... How is that an issue in an outside shed?? They are cleaned weekly to minimise smell.

Again, I feel I am being judged an irresponsible pet owner. Assuming I have wild rodents running around or having my rodents loose causing damage because of chewing.