Awl Ipswich Suspended Until Further Notice

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's good but still, something of a concern if the competitor for providing pound services is also the organisation investigating the complaint.

yep

Do you also know something we don't? That the RSPCA is tendering for the Ipswich Pound service?

The rspca is coming in.

How's their kill rate? I understand that they do cooperate with rescue on occasion?

Not as good as AWL, hope this is just temporary, but as a councillor is on the board of the rspca I doubt it.

Time to scream conflict of interest if that's the case and take that one to the media

The rspca is coming in.

How's their kill rate? I understand that they do cooperate with rescue on occasion?

Not as good as AWL, hope this is just temporary, but as a councillor is on the board of the rspca I doubt it.

Time to scream conflict of interest if that's the case and take that one to the media

... or a non-screamer might run this supposition that the RSCPA is tendering for the Ipswich Pound service past the Council for public comment.

I agree mita - where has it been said that the RSPCA are taking over the Ipswich Pound????

Hasn't it been said that the RSPCA is running the pound in the 'interim'. If AWL think the situation is serious enough to haul dogs out of there, then I'd say the situation is serious.

Where? I work literally around the corner from the Pound and I haven't seen, heard or read anything about the RSPCA taking over. Not saying it's not true but WHERE is this information coming from?

Edited by gsdog2

I have been requested to respond to this matter and some of the claims regarding the AWL suspension from the Ipswich Pound.

Please note that this is the subject of an internal investigation therefore, in the interests of natural justice, my response will be brief.

The suspension and investigation relates to claims of animal welfare and matters pertaining to operational management and breach of contract.

The AWL has been suspended with ongoing payment of their contract pending the result of the investigation/inquiry.

The RSPCA will undertake interim management of both the pound and rehoming facility. It is council's intention to continue the rehoming of unclaimed/unwanted pets.

I am a board member of the RSPCA. Does this present a 'conflict of interest'? Yes, and I have declared my COI accordingly to both organisations. I have not been part of the decision process involved in either suspending the contract or appointing the interim provider.

I note the enormous scuttlebutt that has appeared on this forum and others over the past week. This does not assist either the investigation or the AWL.

I would respectfully request that all forum readers give the opportunity to the council to conduct it's investigation before making rash and unjust statements.

Andrew Antoniolli

Councillor

Ipswich City Council

Please answer this question, Cr Antonelli.

Isn't the RSPCA investigating complaints about a rival animal welfare organisation and also being a potential rival for pound services also a conflict of interest?

You should be able to answer this as it has nothing to do with the council investigation.

ETA: it is rude to call this discussion 'scuttlebutt'.

Edited by Sheridan

Councillor I think rather than scuttlebutt this has been an open discussion with people raising their concerns based on current or previous experiences with either the organisations involved or just rescue issues in general. If the investigation finds AWL lacking then we would all be talking about solutions, because the bottom line is we want animals able to be rehomed to continue to have that opportunity. If AWL have missed the mark then we can all learn from that. If they haven't then they will need support and acknowledgement of their achievements to rebuild their confidence and networks.

Thank you for taking the time to come in here and post information - I hope you will continue to keep us updated as this does have a flow on effect for other rescue groups in SEQ.

For myself (and many others on here) this remains about the animals, but it is vitally important for relevant organisations to be on the same page and work together where possible to keep addressing the never ending cycle of animal homelessness, rescue and rehoming.

Alyson Dean

(Beenleigh)

The members of the public have every right to discuss it, The Council is employed by the residents, as a resident I am appalled at how everything has been handled. I work in rescue and frequently visited the AWL, they are so willing to to work with rescue and implemented great new programs, including desexing the wild cat population, does this all cease now? Staff members who worked so hard rehoming over 1900 animals since they moved in and all the loyal supporters and foster carers are devastated, sorry but you can not shut down freedom of speech.

Edited by varicool

I note the enormous scuttlebutt that has appeared on this forum and others over the past week. This does not assist either the investigation or the AWL.

I would respectfully request that all forum readers give the opportunity to the council to conduct it's investigation before making rash and unjust statements.

Andrew Antoniolli

Councillor

Ipswich City Council

Thanks for your response, Cr Antoniolli. It seems you were true to your word in saying you believe in natural justice. A sound basis for any investigation.

I have no problem with your use of the word 'scuttlebutt'. It's a slang word for 'hearsay'. And 'hearsay' is passing around information that is not documented as factual.

Andrew Antoniolli

Councillor

Ipswich City Council

Thanks for your response, Cr Antoniolli. It seems you were true to your word in saying you believe in natural justice. A sound basis for any investigation.

I have no problem with your use of the word 'scuttlebutt'. It's a slang word for 'hearsay'. And 'hearsay' is passing around information that is not documented as factual.

Yes, Thank you. I did not mean to offend. Rumours and innuendo run thick and fast and merely muddy the waters. I will stick to facts and I have outlined the facts as they should be put at this point of an investigation. I do not intend to be drawn into any discussion relating to the matter whilst it is under investigation. I do so as I respect natural justice and as such I would hope that the forum would respect that.

Andrew Antoniolli

Councillor

Ipswich City Council

Why does information have to be documented to be factual?

[

When documented it's no longer hearsay. It has a factual source which is open to investigation/questioning.

[

When documented it's no longer hearsay. It has a factual source which is open to investigation/questioning.

If I say something that is factually true, it doesn't make it any less truthful because it is not written down.

Andrew, if the RSPCA are in charge of investigating the matter does that mean they are automatically barred from tendering for the contract? That is one thing concerning people, that a group is able to police their own rival. This matter must have been ironed out as it is clearly a conflict of interest.