Awl Ipswich Suspended Until Further Notice

They urgently need room to fit in 140 animals coming from the Ipswich Shelter over the next few days, if you know of anyone wanting to adopt up here, please let them know.

Edited by varicool

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a big supporter of AWL Qld - the Ipswich Council seems to have lost the plot here :mad

I am surprised the AWL website does not have something about this - wouldn't they be looking for some foster carers?

Poor little dogs - victims of throw-away attitude towards animals these days. :(

:( I thought this was all about floods etc.

How sad. A council listens to 3 complaints and shuts a pound down? Doesn't happen here that's for sure.

Either there's more to the story or they've been handed a useful opportunity to end the contract because they want to.

Unfortunately as soon as the media were contacted and the ex volunteer got on tv the council took this drastic action, I assure you that no negect is happening, they have done an amazing job since taking over. I have been working with them since they took over and have never seen any neglect or non medical treatment of animals. The staff who will all be out of a job come monday are devastated. They are frantically working to get all the animals placed before the Monday deadline.

Geez this is terrible. I've never been to the facility before or since AWL started running it but I do know from years of experience in govt that long term positive change does not happen overnight and working co-operatively rather than forcibly achieves more in the long run. What is the council doing to help them achieve the agreed upon contract goals given how badly they were previously operating the pound? Some problems run very deeply and it is about learning from them rather than putting band aids over the top to make it all look pretty.

Poor animals of Ipswich.

Edited by Little Gifts

So the Council will just go back to killing all the dogs that come in will they??

Really is the Ipswich community happy with that state of affairs? I always thought the Ipswich mayor was such a good guy too. I can't take any of the dogs myself as my little dog is a bit anxious - I wonder if donations of food or money would help. Its awful to know this sort of thing is happening and not really be able to do anything :(

Thats what I am thinking, if it is LDH then I know what its all about money, another of the complaints were cages were to small , Ipswich City Council's own cages!!! AWL have built a huge cattery and adoption pens and worked so hard since they took over, now over 10 staff are in limbo and without jobs.

The rspca is coming in.

How's their kill rate? I understand that they do cooperate with rescue on occasion?

Not as good as AWL, hope this is just temporary.

Edited by varicool

The poor staff having to load all the animals they love up into vans, it must be awful, what I can not understand is if the RSPCA passed the facility why move the animals, why not come in and manage the place with the current staff until its resolved, the RSPCA must have a dozen staff on standby to take over shelters, it all stinks.