Awl Ipswich Suspended Until Further Notice

IEdited

Yes, I saw a complainant on television. I was very, very unimpressed.

BTW the Ipswich Council gave the contract to AWL Qld along with its already existing accommodation. So any complaint about accommodation should involve the Council building more suitable premises.

Can you keep us up-to-date, Varicool, of anything we might do?

Interestingly, we're life members of both AWL Qld and RSPCA Qld.

Edited by mita

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the local newspaper at 22 March. Seems the matters are still under investigation. The RSPCA has been engaged as an interim measure. From what I know of Cr Antoniolli, he's a decent man:

Health and Regulation Committee chairman Andrew Antoniolli said council would not divulge the accusations made against the AWLQ...

"The matter still stands pending the investigation," Cr Antoniolli said. "We believe in natural justice."

The Ipswich Rehoming Centre remains open and accessible to the public.

"Council has engaged an external party as an interim measure pending the investigation," Cr Antoniolli said.

"The pound operations and rehoming operation will continue."

BTW In searching for this, I found a comment posted by another ex-volunteer. This person described the work of the AWL staff & volunteers and the fact they were in Council-supplied buildings. She praised greatly what was done on behalf of the animals. I hope the 'investigation' includes such evidence, not just the opinions of the disgruntled.

Edited by mita

Mita the AWL have upgraded some facilities they now have very nice adoption pens and a large state of the art air conditioned adoption cattery, the pens shown in that awl story were quarantine cat pens they the Council built.

I believe Cr Antonelli came on DOL a while back to discuss a particular Ipswich issue. Perhaps he could be invited back?

For those who are interested here's the thread (when council was still running the centre):-

link

Edited by gsdog2

Mita the AWL have upgraded some facilities they now have very nice adoption pens and a large state of the art air conditioned adoption cattery, the pens shown in that awl story were quarantine cat pens they the Council built.

That's so unfair to show the old Council pens, when the AWL has upgraded accommodation.

Tell you what, Varicool, I couldn't have been less impressed by the 'complainer' who was wheeled out to say her bit.

And why would anyone complain that a 'Welfare' group, which has that word in its name, would treat cats with the flu'.

If they're not interested in animal welfare, why did they select a group famous (& rightly so) for its commitment to welfare?

Keep letting us know if there's anything we can do.

gsdog2, thanks for those links!

Edited by mita

Good news re heaps of support from AWL Qld Facebook (just 3 hours ago):

The Animal Welfare League of Qld would like to send out big hugs to everyone who came and adopted, fostered, volunteered and worked over the weekend and also to the media who helped promote our cause which helped rehome the extra animals that came to the Gold Coast shelter from Ipswich.

We could not have asked for a better community spirit where everyone banded together to care for our gorgeous Cats and Dogs and we are proud to announce that we rehomed 151 animals in just 3 days!!

The breakdown is as follows

2 birds

33 cats

56 dogs

42 kittens

18 puppies

We have had so many heartfelt stories and photos we look forward to seeing updates on our FB feed from everyone who chose to adopt..

THANK YOU!

AWL Qld's army of supporters are sure rallying. Not only to get the pets brought from Ipswich adopted.

One person posted on their Facebook page that she'd emailed the Mayor & also Cr Antoniolli. She said the next day she received an 'encouraging response' from them.

The addresses are:[email protected] and [email protected] (on Council website).

Edited by mita

Is the RSPCA tendering for the contract?

Only thing I can find from the newspapers was that the RSPCA already came out & passed the AWL operation. But a couple of outstanding things were brought up by those disgruntled ex-volunteers. Papers say they're being investigated by the Council and the RSPCA.

BTW I found the old DOL thread where Cr Antonielli came here to announce the relationship the Council was forming with AWL QLD.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/215758-awl-wins-tender-for-ipswich-council-pound/

I was trying to find if there were any other groups that tendered at that time.

Edited by mita

A petition is also going over a 1000 signatures already and a Facebook group has been set up. If I thought for a minute that anything was going on I would not support it, but I know that all the staff took great care of the animals, treating the sick and nursing them back to health with a great network of foster carers. it will be a massive shame for the animals of Ipswich if they do not come back. We all know how tough that temp test of the rspca's it to pass, none of my dogs would have a hope in hell of passing.

Is the RSPCA tendering for the contract?

Only thing I can find from the newspapers was that the RSPCA already came out & passed the AWL operation. But a couple of outstanding things were brought up by those disgruntled ex-volunteers. Papers say they're being investigated by the Council and the RSPCA.

Unsure what is going on Mita I sent you a message regarding my little dog :-)