Sam

LisaCC

Sam

20-12-2001 - 19-03-2013.

On Tuesday night I had to say goodbye to my friend Sam, after 5 years in recovery he finally lost his battle with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. He was put to sleep with his tail still wagging.

At 11years and 3 months he's been my dog for more than half my life.

I miss him dearly.

There's no illness at the Rainbow Bridge.

This is my favourite photo of him. This is after I had had an operation in spring 2011 and could not do much at all, I spent all day on the swinging chair reading and he only moved to eat/drink or when I threw his ball for him. Then he came straight back up and "hugged" my leg.

post-44325-0-59406500-1363840822_thumb.jpg

Edited by LisaCC

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lisa. I am so sorry to hear about Sam, and with all the other difficulties you are dealing with, the pain must be excruciating. I am finding it comforting that strangers on DOL do understand, and grieve with you.

There is nothing anyone can say that will take the tears away, just let them flow. I am finding it helpful, although oh so sad, to write memories down, and re-process photo's and videos. It is good I am alone during the days, or I would scare others, not just my remaining dog.

There is no illness at the rainbow bridge, and no snakes either.......

Hugs to you Lisa

Di

What a beautiful, gentle boy. You obviously loved each other dearly. Thinking of you at this extremely hard time.

It's a special thing to understand first hand what it's like to have a mutually adoring relationship with a dog. It makes us all the richer, even though part of the deal is the awful pain of saying goodbye.

I am so sorry for your loss of your beloved boy :cry: . I know you must be so devastated and my heart goes out to you and you are in my thoughts as you grieve for your gorgeous boy :hug: He will have a very special place in your heart forever and will never be forgotten.:hug:

Run free Sam with all the other Labbies at :rainbowbridge: who would have greeted you and shown you all the best Labby places. You will be missed forever :cry:

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I'm glad its not just my eyes that think he was beautiful.

I travelled back to uni yesterday so unfortunately I wasn't back home when Sam's ashes were returned this afternoon. My Mum received a beautiful hand crafted outdoor urn. It looks like a slate prism shaped stone with a gold plate engraved on it, his ashes are sealed inside it so he can be placed in the garden. From a family friend we also received a lovely yellow rose for my yellow boy, the rose is called Golden Son. It will be planted next to the urn.

Two-three weeks time I will be back home and be able to see it, I hope it will give me some proper closure.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this Lisa, what a gorgeous man Sam was. Gotta love a yellow lab. I am biased, my first dog was a lab :)

The hurt will fade over time and you will be left with some awesome memories. That picture is so sweet. :grouphug:

Take care