Elderly Dogs Needing A Home

Hoping someone may be able to help

There are two Australian Terrier/ Maltese cross dogs needing to find a a forever home to see out there days Macy and Millie are 11 and a half yrs of age and are both desexed they are house trained and have always been together so would like if possible for them to stay together

Circumstances of the family are quite tragic in that they belong to a young girl who is 19 however her life changes have been that her father killed himself just before Christmas her mother had killed herself 5 yrs earlier so she is now on her own and is moving to Victoria to be closer to extended family but cant take the dogs with her for many varied reasons

Posting this in General also for those who dont visit the rescue forum

There are SO many old dogs in need of homes at the moment, not sure what is going on.

Last week I rehomed a 13 yr old straight from owner into a home I had waiting.

I've got a 10 yr old arriving tomorrow after the owner died. Had a call about an 11 yr old yesterday whose owners can't find rental and the same for a pair of dogs I found earlier in the week.

Most of these dogs have all been with their owners since they were puppies and loved and cared for. It's very sad indeed.

It is terribly sad. It has been discussed so many times here, but old dogs make such wonderful companions and some dogs that people think old are just as frisky and happy and playful as puppies.

My youngest is 9 and I still think of her as "the puppy".

Two of my most loving and adorable dogs, (Rover and Mufti) were geriatrics when I adopted them.

However, it can be really really expensive business if you want to look after an elderly dog properly and how ever much we feel that we "would live in a tent", before giving up our dogs, reality is very different.

Elderly people being forced or making the decision themselves to move out of their homes and into care facilities are often feeling very vulnerable and not in any position to argue the case for keeping their dogs and if they can't move in with family, family is hardly likely to want to take on the dogs - or may not be in any position to do so.

Anyway, I hope all these beautiful creatures find the best homes possible.

There are a lot of older dogs looking for homes at the moment. I have 3 seniors in care. all 3 of them from the pound.

Two of the dogs were lifetime registered with council , microchipped and one of them desexed. Owners contacted but do not come and get their dogs???

The ones with disabilities or so old they are almost on deaths door seem to be very popular with adopters. The healthy ones with a few years left are very hard to rehome . I don't understand that one either.

Hoping these 2 dogs find a lovely retirement home together . They sound adorable.

About a month ago I took in the almost 10 year old Rotty from Griffith pound who had only just had a litter 5wks before entering the pound. She was blind in one eye and had a lot of old lady lumps.

The most heartwarming thing was how many enquiries I got for her. I probably could have rehomed her five times over, she moved out after three weeks in care. She was just the most perfect dog, I kinda wish I'd kept her.

Love the oldies and so far I havent' found them hard to rehome.

Maggie :D post-33610-0-64784900-1363997597_thumb.jpg

Edited by Burkes

She was just the most perfect dog, I kinda wish I'd kept her.

I can see why. Maggie is gorgeous. Isn't it interesting how the elderly dogs have some special quality that makes them perfect!

That's great you had so many enquiries for your lovely senior Rottweiler Burkes. They do seem a popular breed. . Very nice dogs mine was 10 when she developed bone cancer which seems common is this breed.

My experience is quite the opposite with the popularity of my senior fosters. When I commit to them I know that 6 to 12 months in care is the norm. The longest took a year to find a suitable home the shortest 3 months . Not complaining about that fact though they have a special quality that makes them so easy to have in care.

Denise at PAWS has 8 golden oldies at the moment, but 3 have found a new home in the past week. Which is great news.

I have a soft spot for the oldies too, they get around at my pace.!!

I get a few enquiries too in the private adoption category of the PAWS web site for the rehoming of older dogs and cats.

Sad to hear, as a lot are from family members who wont or cant keep the much loved pet of their parents who have either died or gone into care.But most of these people just want to get rid of the "problem" immediatley and dont want to handle enquiries from prospective adopters, which means the placement may take time.

When I dont hear back from these people I always wonder what happened to the dog or cat, I suppose most have just been put to sleep.

Edited by honeybun

As an old dog lover I have to say its very hard at times.

Two weeks ago I had to give two of my dogs their wings in one day, its a hard thing to live with.

I dont think I could face an older dog just yet, but it is very worthwhile, they love so much and really dont have many problems. But as others have said its very expensive so you have to keep that in mind when takeing one on.

I love oldsters they are the best.

As an old dog lover I have to say its very hard at times.

Two weeks ago I had to give two of my dogs their wings in one day, its a hard thing to live with.

I dont think I could face an older dog just yet, but it is very worthwhile, they love so much and really dont have many problems. But as others have said its very expensive so you have to keep that in mind when takeing one on.

I love oldsters they are the best.

This is certainly true :cry: as are all the other sentiments in your post, Gillybob.

Edited by Danny's Darling