Push To End Life Time Registration In Nsw

Pjrt

LINK

PET owners will have to register their dogs and cats every year under recommendations being considered by the NSW government.

The Companion Animals Taskforce released two reports to government on Monday that aim to reduce the 30,000 pets put down across the state every year and protect the community from dog attacks.

The task force has recommended scrapping lifetime registrations for dogs and cats in favour of annual registrations.

Liberal MP and vet Andrew Cornwall, who chaired the task force, conceded that push would be "contested".

"Of animals that are on the register, we believe anecdotally that some 50 per cent of those details are incorrect," he said.

"We feel it was a mistake that was made by the previous government going for lifetime registration ... (This recommendation) feels right, but trying to unscramble that omelette may be too difficult."

Under the proposal, the yearly fees would be cheaper for owners of desexed animals bought from a pound or shelter.

RSPCA chief executive officer Steve Coleman said it was possible the extra cost of yearly registrations would deter some people from registering new pups or kittens altogether.

But he believed most owners would act responsibly.

"If their animals become lost, who wouldn't want to make sure they've done everything that they can possibly do to make sure those animals go back to their rightful owners?" he said on Monday.

Other recommendations include the establishment of a breeder licensing system to crack down on "puppy farms", and a ban on breeders from selling un-microchipped dogs and cats to pet shops.

The government will also consider new laws to recognise "potentially dangerous" dogs in addition to the existing regulations around dangerous dogs.

The Companion Animals Taskforce has also asked Local Government Minister Don Page and Attorney-General Greg Smith to work with the federal government to establish a national dog attack and dangerous dog database.

Animal lovers, breeders and pet sellers will have six weeks to make submissions before Mr Page and Primary Industries Minister Katrina Hodgkinson give their responses to the reports.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now... the thing is that quite a large number of people don't even opt to lifetime register their pets under the current system... and the councils aren't following up on that.

It's not going to stop animals ending up in pounds - the largest group in pounds are not microchipped or registered. How is this new development going to change those statistics. From where I sit, it looks like those of us doing the right thing already are now going to end up paying more for doing so... *sigh*

As for breeder licensing - it's still not going to stop the BYB's...

T.

About time! We wrote to our MP about getting this changed in 2006. The law is very unfair for those who don't permanently reside in NSW. We had to pay lifetime registration for our dogs even though we were only going to be there 12 months. We then had to cancel the registration in order to register them interstate because the dogs were not legally allowed to be registered in two places. If we ended up back in NSW, we'd then have to pay lifetime registration again because by law we had to cancel it. We will be penalised because we obeyed the law. I would strongly protest having to pay lifetime registration fees every time we move back to NSW.

Edited by Dxenion

Under the proposal, the yearly fees would be cheaper for owners of desexed animals bought from a pound or shelter.

Awesome. So the proposal is to penalise anyone who buys from a registered breeder? My dogs came from registered breeders, and are all desexed. Where in gods name does this make sense? More sabre rattling. Just encourages people not to register their pets at all with this kind of ridiculous, clearly irrational proposition. How about working with what they have already rather than shove this crap down peoples throats. It WONT stop back yard breeding or dog attacks. Bloody idiots.

It's not going to stop animals ending up in pounds - the largest group in pounds are not microchipped or registered....

As for breeder licensing - it's still not going to stop the BYB's...

T.

Also, dogs implicated in serious attacks tend to be not registered with local authorities.

All this proposed change will do, is make the people who reliably register their dogs.... and are less likely to dump their dogs, or have aggressive dogs ... pay more for doing the right thing.

Why don't they look at the statistics before coming up with these 'fixit ideas'?

If they did, they'd find that dogs bought from registered breeders are less likely to have socialization problems & less likely to be dumped. If anything, there should be a discount on their registration (while pigs fly).

Edited by mita

The government will also consider new laws to recognise "potentially dangerous" dogs in addition to the existing regulations around dangerous dogs.

How does that work? Aren't ALL dogs "potentially dangerous" given that they all have the capacity to bite? Or is this leaning towards BSL?

We have annual dog registration fees in SA. It's not overly expensive - roughly $40 for an entire dog or $20 for a desexed dog, $5 discount for micro-chipping (which is not mandatory in SA) and $5 discount if you have a certificate to say that your dog is trained (which can be as basic as completing puppy school). Pensioners pay less again.

ETA, I don't think it is a silly idea. You can't make everyone register their dogs but for the ones that do it does help to keep details current.

Edited by RidgieMal

My council gives discount rego for dogs registered with the VCA. Just have to take the paperwork in with you the first time.

Now that's in the right direction. The stats back it up.

Pigs do fly around your council area. :)

About time! We wrote to our MP about getting this changed in 2006. The law is very unfair for those who don't permanently reside in NSW. We had to pay lifetime registration for our dogs even though we were only going to be there 12 months. We then had to cancel the registration in order to register them interstate because the dogs were not legally allowed to be registered in two places. If we ended up back in NSW, we'd then have to pay lifetime registration again because by law we had to cancel it. We will be penalised because we obeyed the law. I would strongly protest having to pay lifetime registration fees every time we move back to NSW.

Cant really see what the difference is if they bring it for a yearly fee and you stay for 12 months go away and then come back again surely it would cost you just as much if not more .you would be one of the few who cancelled it anyway.

Cant really see what the difference is if they bring it for a yearly fee and you stay for 12 months go away and then come back again surely it would cost you just as much if not more .you would be one of the few who cancelled it anyway.

From memory the lifetime registration for just one dog was $150. At the time we had three dogs, only one of which was desexed. Annual registrations in other states/ territories are usually significantly lower. We didn't have a choice regarding cancelling it. Our new council wanted proof that we had cancelled it before allowing registration in the new area. I don't know how others get around not having to cancel when reregistering in another state. Also the lifetime registration does not take into account the variation in general lifespan of dogs. Is it fair that the same fee is charged for a great dane as it is for a chi? I'd be supportive of life registration if other states would honour it. I can't see that happening though.

Awesome. So the proposal is to penalise anyone who buys from a registered breeder? My dogs came from registered breeders, and are all desexed. Where in gods name does this make sense? More sabre rattling. Just encourages people not to register their pets at all with this kind of ridiculous, clearly irrational proposition. How about working with what they have already rather than shove this crap down peoples throats. It WONT stop back yard breeding or dog attacks. Bloody idiots.

Yep, that's the takeaway I got from that, too. Anyone who gets a dog from a breeder gets penalised.

And you know what, I'm still getting a purebred if that little silly bit makes out of the moneygrubbers in NSW.

Edited by Sheridan

My council gives discount rego for dogs registered with the VCA. Just have to take the paperwork in with you the first time.

Now that's in the right direction. The stats back it up.

Pigs do fly around your council area. :)

NSW and Victoria both give exemptions for members of a governing body. In Victoria its Vicdogs and in NSW its Dogs NSW ,MDBA and AAPDB. So we pay a $40 fee for all of our dogs in NSW a once only fee for the life time of the dogs. For the rest of the world they pay $40 for a desexed dog once only and $120 for an entire dog once only. There are still more than 50% of all dogs not registered - they cant even catch people out once in the whole life time of a dog yet they think they will be able to do that every year.

But how they get to an assumption that this will stop dogs being put in pounds is beyond me. In the current system people pay the $40 knowing that it a once only so if there dogs do end up picked up on the street and worst they get a fine for a dog at large if its renewed every year and you havent paid it every year then you cop bigger fines and you are more likely not to register them at al.

What of al the people who have made a commitment to own a couple of dogs knowing they can afford a once only $40 but cant afford a yearly fee for every dog they own now what are they supposed to do with them?

When ever they actually police the laws they have someone might give them and ounce of credibility.

Thanks for clarfying that, Steve. So the discount is based on the p/b dog's owner being a member of the state's kennel association.

I was hoping it might apply to p/b dogs that were registered with the state's kennel association so it'd cover dogs bought by pet owners from registered breeders.

Agree with you, it'll particularly hit people who bought more than one dog thinking they'd only have to pay the double fee once.

Hard to follow the logic except they're hoping to get more money from the dog owners who'll always register their dogs, no matter what.

As others have said .... punishing the people who do the right thing.

How's about they just police what they currently have and start handing out fine for those who don not register and do not keep details current under the system we already have. That should raise plenty of revenue.

Why would they do that? That would be sensible.

and it will cost us more in the end , cheaper my butt

when they changed from yearly to lifetime , I had to pay life a on dog that I had paid for every year, she was 11 when they changed it . I got no discount , no exemption, had to pay the full lifetime . so now i have paid lifetime on all mine , I bet they make you pay every year regardless :mad sucking money out of peoiple that do the right thing :mad as usual :mad

How much is lifetime rego?

$40 for desexed animals or entire animals owned by a dogs NSW member

$150 for an entire animal.

I really cant see how yearly rego will change anything- the same people will register their dogs, the same people wont.