Push To End Life Time Registration In Nsw

Pjrt

About time! We wrote to our MP about getting this changed in 2006. The law is very unfair for those who don't permanently reside in NSW. We had to pay lifetime registration for our dogs even though we were only going to be there 12 months. We then had to cancel the registration in order to register them interstate because the dogs were not legally allowed to be registered in two places. If we ended up back in NSW, we'd then have to pay lifetime registration again because by law we had to cancel it. We will be penalised because we obeyed the law. I would strongly protest having to pay lifetime registration fees every time we move back to NSW.

Cant really see what the difference is if they bring it for a yearly fee and you stay for 12 months go away and then come back again surely it would cost you just as much if not more .you would be one of the few who cancelled it anyway.

From memory the lifetime registration for just one dog was $150. At the time we had three dogs, only one of which was desexed. Annual registrations in other states/ territories are usually significantly lower. We didn't have a choice regarding cancelling it. Our new council wanted proof that we had cancelled it before allowing registration in the new area. I don't know how others get around not having to cancel when reregistering in another state. Also the lifetime registration does not take into account the variation in general lifespan of dogs. Is it fair that the same fee is charged for a great dane as it is for a chi? I'd be supportive of life registration if other states would honour it. I can't see that happening though.

all you have to do was put that the dog was kept at both addresses at various times of the year, they can cope with that one apparently

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weird thing is that in NSW, council registration is not the same as the NSW microchip registration database, which is separate to other states' microchip registration databases. Although I bought my dog in Victoria, he is on the NSW microchip database for life because he was born in that state (when I checked he was still 'owned' by his breeder) yet I haven't registered him with any council in NSW (since I don't live in NSW).

They dont maintain the lifetime register, so I dont know how on earth they think they will manage by moving it back to a yearly registration!!

My council used to be very good at sending out reminders etc, but I have a 2 year old dog here, who is chipped to me, and they have not sent me a thing, and I have not remembered to get him registered as yet.

So if its $40 for life, and we assume the average dog lives until its 15 years, does that mean they will reduce the fees to $2.60 per year? Somehow I doubt that, which to me means fewer dogs will be registered if we go back to a yearly registration.

Edited by Rysup

Within Victoria, both the owner and the dog must be registered with Dogs Victoria, to get the relevent discount. One can also get a discount from a basic dog obedience course. Some councils, mine is one are giving a slighter higher rebate to desexing, as they found that with the automatic rebates from these, dogs were not being desexed. Microchipping used to get the same rebate. That has changed for new dogs being registered, which have for a number of years been required to be microchipped anyway. So we had compulsory microchipping and the same rebate for desexing as for microchipping, so dogs were not being desexed. My council did give an extra discount for both, but it is estimated that less than half of councils have done this.

Personally I like South Australia the best, where people are given discounts for all of these things. Fact is we don't want people doing one of them, we want them doing all of them!! We do want all dogs obedience trained at a basic level, we do want all dogs microchipped and we do want dogs that can be desexed, desexed, although the ages for that need to be flexible to allow large dogs to complete growth cycles first. Giving the same discount for one thing, does not encourage people to do all of them. Where is the incentive to do obedience training if they get the cheapest rate by getting the dog from the pound that is both microchipped and desexed. Sure those things are really important, but so is training. Victoria finally had common sense to not give the automatic rebate to microchipping to new registrations, but what about all the others who have not bothered to do anything else, as they will keep getting the same cheapest rebate for the dog being chipped before sale from a pet shop!!!!!

You have to go into a Council to make changes to CAR, so if you work full time, I am not sure how you are supposed to do anything!

I did it by phone and email, when I insisted on extra information being added to Stevie and Jodie's details. Canterbury Council seemed quite happy to work that way.

Within Victoria, both the owner and the dog must be registered with Dogs Victoria, to get the relevent discount. One can also get a discount from a basic dog obedience course. Some councils, mine is one are giving a slighter higher rebate to desexing, as they found that with the automatic rebates from these, dogs were not being desexed. Microchipping used to get the same rebate. That has changed for new dogs being registered, which have for a number of years been required to be microchipped anyway. So we had compulsory microchipping and the same rebate for desexing as for microchipping, so dogs were not being desexed. My council did give an extra discount for both, but it is estimated that less than half of councils have done this.

Personally I like South Australia the best, where people are given discounts for all of these things. Fact is we don't want people doing one of them, we want them doing all of them!! We do want all dogs obedience trained at a basic level, we do want all dogs microchipped and we do want dogs that can be desexed, desexed, although the ages for that need to be flexible to allow large dogs to complete growth cycles first. Giving the same discount for one thing, does not encourage people to do all of them. Where is the incentive to do obedience training if they get the cheapest rate by getting the dog from the pound that is both microchipped and desexed. Sure those things are really important, but so is training. Victoria finally had common sense to not give the automatic rebate to microchipping to new registrations, but what about all the others who have not bothered to do anything else, as they will keep getting the same cheapest rebate for the dog being chipped before sale from a pet shop!!!!!

There's a little note on my registration renewal this year saying that from the day after rego renewals are due, registration discounts will only apply to microchipped and desexed animals - no mention of discount for animal's age, training, membership of VCA or relevant cat clubs, or animals owened as part of a registered business. I hope they've just left VCA membership off for brevity's sake, but I'm not very hopeful. Which means, based on this year's fee, that from next year I'll be up for ~$105 for any entire dog I own, each year. I don't mind an annual registration, but I think that much per year is a bit steep!

Has anyone ever seen any estimates of how much councils spend on dog issues? I mean including pounds, rangers, pooh bag provision and cleanup. I doubt dog registrations cover the cost, especially in places where the minority of dogs are registered.

You have to go into a Council to make changes to CAR, so if you work full time, I am not sure how you are supposed to do anything!

I did it by phone and email, when I insisted on extra information being added to Stevie and Jodie's details. Canterbury Council seemed quite happy to work that way.

They will accept further info via email and I can notify change of owner via mail but to register a dog or change address even after its already on the registry and chipped in your name you still have to attend council with updated ID - at least thats how it works around here.

Has anyone ever seen any estimates of how much councils spend on dog issues? I mean including pounds, rangers, pooh bag provision and cleanup. I doubt dog registrations cover the cost, especially in places where the minority of dogs are registered.

they could if they policed them - made sure everyone had paid their rego and fined them if they didnt ,made sure everyone changes their details and fine them if they dont , make sure every one has a dog on a leash and fine them if they dont ,make sure every dog bred has a chip as has been mandatory since 97 and fine them if they dont . One ranger doing a doork nock to check every house hold that has a dog is compliant and if they are not issuing fines and that every household has adequate fencing etc to contain the size and type of dog they had etc and prevent a dog issue before they have to be called out to them would make them millions.

they could if they policed them - made sure everyone had paid their rego and fined them if they didnt ,made sure everyone changes their details and fine them if they dont , make sure every one has a dog on a leash and fine them if they dont ,make sure every dog bred has a chip as has been mandatory since 97 and fine them if they dont . One ranger doing a doork nock to check every house hold that has a dog is compliant and if they are not issuing fines and that every household has adequate fencing etc to contain the size and type of dog they had etc and prevent a dog issue before they have to be called out to them would make them millions.

And therein lies the problem. Don't enforce whats already in existence just bring in more laws that won't be enforced. Trouble is the government works on the theory something must be done this is something therefore we must do it.

Just in the last two days I have seen locally two litters of pups being advertised. One at five weeks of age for giveaway (advert in local paper). The other now at six and a half weeks for $50.00 (facebook local market page). Pretty obvious none of these will be vacc or chipped. Even though its been law since 1997/1998.

Also the number of people seen around here allowing there dogs to walk along side busy roads with their dog off lead. I have already emailed my local member again about these recommendations and await a reply but you can bet I will be bringing up the lack of enforcement and education under the current laws.

Now... the thing is that quite a large number of people don't even opt to lifetime register their pets under the current system... and the councils aren't following up on that.

It's not going to stop animals ending up in pounds - the largest group in pounds are not microchipped or registered. How is this new development going to change those statistics. From where I sit, it looks like those of us doing the right thing already are now going to end up paying more for doing so... *sigh*

As for breeder licensing - it's still not going to stop the BYB's...

T.

Councils are actually following this up I work hard at making sure all my guys are registered and chipped.

to that end when i got a pup from Qld, I had him chipped and paid his rego along with the pup I was keeping

from a litter I had at the time. Roll on 2 years and a couple of months Sure enough they want me to pay again

for said pup.I proved he was in fact all paid up and leagle, the promise to *fix* the database was made and so

far 3 months on, no further word.

If the government wants to tidy up then they should simply enforce the rules/laws already in place.

Gee if they had funded enforcing the rules rather than this expencive and top heavy *investigation* then the

problem would not excist now.

There's no online rego either as far as I can see and any changes to the Companion Animal Register get made how?

I believe that there is a sujestion to have online rego detail changes that can be made by the owner.

Not sure how that wil work tho.

At present if i have a litter to register I TAKE all the paper work to the local pound office and stay there

until it is all entered in the database, the pups i still have are actually registered and i have all the papers

to say this has been done. Posting it has got me nowhere in the past. They loose it, do not bother with it past

cashing the cheque or send it all back cos they did nt like some thing.

If they would just enforce the rules we have now it would actually work ok.

You're dreamin' steve.

When they stuff up it costs us thousands to fix their mistakes.

Sometimes we even lose our dogs as well :swear:

You're dreamin' steve.

When they stuff up it costs us thousands to fix their mistakes.

Sometimes we even lose our dogs as well :swear:

Yeah I know - pathetic really isnt it.

When we agree to having a license to breed our dogs we agree to give over our ownership right to the licensing agency, which can at any time revoke our use rights. We grant them absolute control over our animals. They can come onto our real property, and remove or restrict our transitory property (dogs) without due process of law. The places which require licensing can refuse to issue further licenses, and revoke the privilege of breeding dogs.

A license is a temporary revocable permit that allows the licensee to have something or to do something that would be illegal to have, or to do without the license. It makes dog breeding illegal. It turns over all ownership, and use rights to the licensing agency which can at any time, inspect, confiscate, suspend, revoke, or halt issuance of the license. It's a way of taking away your property and free use of your property without compensation.

Say no to more laws.

Edited by Steve

Before they all start banging on about how great it is to make breeders either have their breeder licence number or the dog's chip number in any ads they should just spend an hour or so and search gum tree and online ads for Victorian puppy sales and its only a very small minority that are doing it - so how is this working and who is policing it? In fact Id guess that those following the law were the ones that were chipping before the pups went home anyway. How will it be any different here than it is in Victoria or the Gold coast ?