Inner Health Plus

Is inner health plus ok for puppies and dogs ( powder from capsule). UPDATE please see below

Blackmores intestinal health capsules have both of the below ingredient and nothing else added.

B. animalis

Probably the most studied probiotic strain in dogs is B. animalis. It has been demonstrated to reduce acute diarrhea, and improve overall intestinal health. However, most dog probiotic products do not contain this strain. We believe that over time all of the formulas will start containing B. animalis because of the vast research behind this strain.

Vet Ther. 2009 Fall;10(3):121-30: Clinical benefits of probiotic canine-derived Bifidobacterium animalis strain AHC7 in dogs with acute idiopathic diarrhea.

Commentary: In this study B. animalis on its own reduced the resolution time in half from 6 days to 3 in dogs. Vet Microbiol. 2009 Oct 20;139(1-2):106-12. Epub 2009 May 19.

Portrait of a canine probiotic Bifidobacterium animalis, from gut to gut.

(Excerpt)

“Bifidobacterium animalis adhered to epithelial cells, transited the murine gastrointestinal tract to high numbers and significantly reduced S. typhimurium translocation. B. animalis consumption significantly reduced the carriage of Clostridia, in particular Clostridium difficile, in dogs. This study describes the isolation and screening of canine-derived bacterial strains with commensal traits. The results demonstrate that B. animalis has significant potential for improving canine gastrointestinal health.”

Commentary: Clostridium difficile is the pathogen that primarily causes diarrhea. The fact that B.animalis has such a dramatic effect on C. difficile, makes it really the number one choice for dealing with acute diarrhea.

L. acidophilus

L. acidophilus as been show to be especially good with use in puppies. L. acidophilus was shown to increase weigh gain/growth in canines (Note it is thought that probiotics are critical in the puppy stage also for bolstering foundational immunity). Puppies supplemented L. acidophilus were found to display less symptoms of allergies and other diseases in older years..

Edited by Hank DDB

Just a update I spoke with my vet and some probiotics are ok for dogs and other are not, the 2 in blackmores intestinal health are good for dogs , I did a edit on my original post to help explain.