And More Fleas...

I had 1 tube of Frontline, not enough for both dogs, so off we go and bought a tube of Advantix for the other dog. Dosed them both on the same day and have noticed the one we dosed with Frontline seems flea free and the one we dosed with Advantix is crawling with fleas. Not happy as this stuff is expensive. Both dogs sleep on the same bed (a trampoline) No blankets (as they rip them up). Anyone else have similar issues? And is there any links or info on the Comfortis tablet ones? Thanks

How painful! We're having the same problem with the two cats, ran out of one type (can not remember which) and used the last Frontline on the other and nothing at all!

Sorry to invade your thread, but am at a loss myself!

Can the fleas become immune to the stuff? We had a few months of wins with the Frontline and now we're back to zilch.

Which do you find most effective (bonus points if there's long hair involved, I find the persian cat the most resistant. Too much fluff to hide in, next step he's getting shaved entirely)

All of my dogs are de-sexed Rebanne, so should be no issues there.

Steph m there was a whole thread about the fleas becoming resistant to Frontline (and others flea treatments) I'm not sure if it was in the "what my vet said about fleas" thread (at the top of this page)?

The One we used Frontline on has long, thick fur, but she seems to be flea free now. The other dog is a boxer and the poor thing can't stop scratching. I am going to speak to the vet about Comfortis tomorrow. I'm guessing this will set me back another $60 or so dollars. Fine if it works but harsh when it doesn't.

Have had problems in the past with our full-coated Bichon, fleas and Advantix in the past, so he gets a Comfortis tab a probably once every 3 months and he's come pretty good :thumbsup: The other 3 dogs (and cat, treated with advantage or frontline) are flea-free and seem to be fine with Advantix...

I've found that Comfortis has the best rate of success. But it's a harsh chemical and can make some dogs sick. Make sure it's given with a full stomach.

Advantix is what I use, I need the para tick prevention and I don't like Frontline that much. When Cleo had fleas for the first time ever recently, when I slacked off on the application date, I applied her pipette and bamn - fleas were gone.

Frontline - the rep says that fleas can't become immune to it, and if they were, Bayer (Advantix) and other companies would have jumped all over it and used that to push their sales. Makes sense to me, but I still don't like it.

Could the fleas you are seeing be in the process of dying? I know Frontline agitates fleas and sends them to hyper town before they die.

Decided against the Comfortis. So bought another lot of Frontline, another $60 on flea treatments. Lets hope it works this time. Quick question...only yesterday flead them with Exelpet Fleaban which is supposed to control fleas for up to 7 days and flea eggs for up to 6 weeks (pfffffft, that doesn't work either), is it safe to now apply Frontline on or will that be chemical overkill for my doggies?

If I had a flea problem, which I don't then I would be going straight for the Comfortis. The others are a waste of money as far as fleas go. I use Advantix as I have ticks & sometimes I use Frontline Plus.

Teela I use Revolution and find it very good. You can pick it up cheaper online than through vet surgeries too.

It kills adult fleas and prevents their eggs from hatching.

It is also a heartworm preventative, and treats and controls ear mites and sarcoptic mange. :)

Ok just a little info I am a qualified pest manager, I hold a cert 4 which is the highest level of formal qualifications in Australia, ok now to talk about Frontline, it will work and work extremely well. now this is the thing you absolutely need to follow the instruction 100% or you will cause the fleas to become immune to it or cause a failed treatment and your dog will still have a ongoing flea problem. I use frontline and have done so since it came out and I follow the instruction 100% and I have never ever had a failed treatment, so if frontline is not working for you, then you have either failed to follow the instructions correctly or you have a large infestation that requires additional treatment of the surrounding environment to speed up the flea kill. But frontline will in time kill all the fleas, it is just like termites, roaches, etc if there is a large infestation it is going to take longer to get rid of them all. So just persist with frontline and please please follow the instructions 100%. Please feel free to ask me anything relating to fleas or ticks, I can advise you of what to use and how to use it!.

Edited by Hank DDB

Decided against the Comfortis. So bought another lot of Frontline, another $60 on flea treatments. Lets hope it works this time. Quick question...only yesterday flead them with Exelpet Fleaban which is supposed to control fleas for up to 7 days and flea eggs for up to 6 weeks (pfffffft, that doesn't work either), is it safe to now apply Frontline on or will that be chemical overkill for my doggies?

No, it isn't safe, call the help line on the Frontline packet - they should be able to tell you when.

And keep treating your dogs with Frontline for the next 4-6 months or you won't get rid of the life cycle in your house.

If you have carpet in your house and dogs are inside dogs, then you need to use paper bag in the vacuum and throw the bag into your wheely bin as soon as u finish. Or if u have a bagless u need to empty it into your wheely bin and then suck up some flea powder with the vacuum. If you don't do the previous mentioned the fleas will just get back out of the vacuum and into your house.

It is important to remember that tapeworms carry fleas if you are treating for fleas and not succeeding, make sure to treat for tapeworm as well, most wormers do not cover all the types of worms, including tapeworm. Treating the environment is crucially important, 99% of fleas do not live on the dog, but in the surrounding environment. Removing them all is the hard part. If you are simply relying on a flea product it could well take months or not work at all, as you are not treating the fleas that already exist.

The best and fastest ways, flea and tapeworm treat the dogs, and flea bomb the house and yard.

If you have carpet in your house and dogs are inside dogs, then you need to use paper bag in the vacuum and throw the bag into your wheely bin as soon as u finish. Or if u have a bagless u need to empty it into your wheely bin and then suck up some flea powder with the vacuum. If you don't do the previous mentioned the fleas will just get back out of the vacuum and into your house.

Oooooooh if you have a bagless and do that, pleaaaaaaase wash your filters out after!

Working for electrolux has given me a whole new set of nightmares and that just makes my skin crawl! :laugh:

Have had problems in the past with our full-coated Bichon, fleas and Advantix in the past, so he gets a Comfortis tab a probably once every 3 months and he's come pretty good :thumbsup: The other 3 dogs (and cat, treated with advantage or frontline) are flea-free and seem to be fine with Advantix...

I won't use Advantix on my small breed as there have been reports of adverse effects on toy size dogs. I use Frontline and it does the job.

Oooooooh if you have a bagless and do that, pleaaaaaaase wash your filters out after!

Working for electrolux has given me a whole new set of nightmares and that just makes my skin crawl! :laugh:

I understand , but you only need a small amount like a teaspoon full and it's not being done every time u vacuum, just when it is required

Edited by Hank DDB

We have had some really bad problems with fleas where we live (beach/river areas -sandy soil) icon_smile_mad.gif

Frontline was good for a while, then it stopped working. Have tired it in various forms

The best product that actually worked really well was comfortis, but im too scared to use it now. Might have been just a coincidence but Joey had a reaction to it in the beginning, and then there was Renae's recent big health scare with a toxin issue going on that the Vets couldn't find what had caused it ( they couldn't outrule it wasn't the comfortis). I haven't given her any for the last few months, and now her levels are reasonable ok. She also never had fits before, now she does ( but that might not be because of the flea treatment.! It does say not to use on dogs that have problems with fits.. however she never had them before). I ended up giving the rest of the pkt to a friend who uses them successfully on her dog. Her dog has never had any reactions to them :)

ATM i haven't given Joey or Renae any type of flea treatment as im too scared too, but luckily the fleas haven't been too bad lately *touch wood* I do wash them in natural flea shampoos occasionally.

I am giving Miah revolution ( monthly for heartworm and flea control) so will be watching to see how that goes!

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

We were Revolution people for over five years and didn't have a problem, but at the start of last year our ancient SWF seemed to always have a flea on him. So vet recommended Comfortis one fortnight, Revolution a fortnight later (to keep the heartworm up to date as well). That worked reasonably well but not perfect so we swapped the Revolution for Advocate. Now (since SWF passed away, and haven't seen fleas since) we've dropped the Comfortis and just use Advocate monthly.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok just a little info I am a qualified pest manager, I hold a cert 4 which is the highest level of formal qualifications in Australia, ok now to talk about Frontline, it will work and work extremely well. now this is the thing you absolutely need to follow the instruction 100% or you will cause the fleas to become immune to it or cause a failed treatment and your dog will still have a ongoing flea problem. I use frontline and have done so since it came out and I follow the instruction 100% and I have never ever had a failed treatment, so if frontline is not working for you, then you have either failed to follow the instructions correctly or you have a large infestation that requires additional treatment of the surrounding environment to speed up the flea kill. But frontline will in time kill all the fleas, it is just like termites, roaches, etc if there is a large infestation it is going to take longer to get rid of them all. So just persist with frontline and please please follow the instructions 100%. Please feel free to ask me anything relating to fleas or ticks, I can advise you of what to use and how to use it!.

Ok then please can you tell me why Frontline (and all the other spot on type treatments) is so darn expensive?