Sled Dog Racing Season Starting..

Hello one and all, for all those who have ever considered having a go at sled dog racing, and you have a dog (breed open) the Siberian club of Victoria is running it's first training day of the season this weekend at wellsford (near Bendigo)

sled dog racing is a wonderful sport for all, many breeds race, as long as it is of a size to pull you (and a whippet wins many races, so don't think that bordercollie etc, couldn't do it)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello one and all, for all those who have ever considered having a go at sled dog racing, and you have a dog (breed open) the Siberian club of Victoria is running it's first training day of the season this weekend at wellsford (near Bendigo)

sled dog racing is a wonderful sport for all, many breeds race, as long as it is of a size to pull you (and a whippet wins many races, so don't think that bordercollie etc, couldn't do it)

I've got something on this weekend so cannot go, but I'd be interested in knowing if they have anymore days. I dont have huskies but I'd love to see them in action anyway.

I'm pleased to read that whippets do well, mine are all too old now, but I used to fancy training them to pull a sled, I used to have visions of myself hurtling down the main rd into town and probably causing car accidents as people looked on in amazement and lost concerntration and crashed their cars :laugh: .

Edited by Kirislin

Guest Clover

Aw the girl I want to try has just come into season :(. Ah well there is always next time. Have a great day.

go for it... I just thought I'd put it out there that the season is starting... as other events come up, post them, so often people realise at the end of the season, then forget about it by the next season...

Hope you Victorians had a good turn out :)

Seems like everyone on my facebook has been getting their dogs running over easter :D

Now for the SA folks, the next racing event on the calendar is theSprint race

Being held on Saturday the 13th of April at Bonython Park near the city.

It's a little season opener that's great to get people interested and a lot of fun!

The race is over 100m and each dog competes in three heats.

There are two sprint lanes separated by bunting, and two teams take off at the same time and run the race.

Each of the three heats you will verse a different team.

The fastest time averaged across the heats is the winner.

Last year there were three classes that competed seperately.

Novice (for beginners, you are able to help the dog by pushing), one dog and two dog

South Australian Sled Dog club events are all Open Breed, so any fit and healthy dog can compete

This should give you an idea of the sprint lanes. Here they are being erected

Picture%201.JPG.jpg

And here I am about the start off with a borrowed dog in novice

Picture%208.JPG.jpg

Guest Clover

What a great photo, it looks like so much fun. I hope you got a good crowd on the weekend.

Once my girl is desexed (and hips etc x rayed and all cleared) then we will certainly be interested in getting started.