Blackmores Intestinal Health

Just thought I would post this info for anyone interested.

Blackmores intestinal health capsules have both of the below ingredient and nothing else added. And can be purchased at local chemists for approx $32.00 for a bottle of 90 capsules.

The contents of 1 x capsule per day is a good starting point and what im using, but from my research up to 10 a day is ok.

B. animalis

Probably the most studied probiotic strain in dogs is B. animalis. It has been demonstrated to reduce acute diarrhea, and improve overall intestinal health. However, most dog probiotic products do not contain this strain. We believe that over time all of the formulas will start containing B. animalis because of the vast research behind this strain.

Vet Ther. 2009 Fall;10(3):121-30: Clinical benefits of probiotic canine-derived Bifidobacterium animalis strain AHC7 in dogs with acute idiopathic diarrhea.

Commentary: In this study B. animalis on its own reduced the resolution time in half from 6 days to 3 in dogs. Vet Microbiol. 2009 Oct 20;139(1-2):106-12. Epub 2009 May 19.

Portrait of a canine probiotic Bifidobacterium animalis, from gut to gut.

(Excerpt)

“Bifidobacterium animalis adhered to epithelial cells, transited the murine gastrointestinal tract to high numbers and significantly reduced S. typhimurium translocation. B. animalis consumption significantly reduced the carriage of Clostridia, in particular Clostridium difficile, in dogs. This study describes the isolation and screening of canine-derived bacterial strains with commensal traits. The results demonstrate that B. animalis has significant potential for improving canine gastrointestinal health.”

Commentary: Clostridium difficile is the pathogen that primarily causes diarrhea. The fact that B.animalis has such a dramatic effect on C. difficile, makes it really the number one choice for dealing with acute diarrhea.

L. acidophilus

L. acidophilus as been show to be especially good with use in puppies. L. acidophilus was shown to increase weigh gain/growth in canines (Note it is thought that probiotics are critical in the puppy stage also for bolstering foundational immunity). Puppies supplemented L. acidophilus were found to display less symptoms of allergies and other diseases in older years..

Edited by Hank DDB

Sounds like you're giving this puppy an awful lot of supplements, have you considered letting him grow and build his own immune system for a while?

It may sound like I'm giving this puppy an awful lot of supplements, Sorry I have no idea where u got that from, as I have not stated what I'm giving him! But FYI- He is on a raw diet Roo/Beef meat, specific selection of verges, and a professional supplement with every essential vit, min, amino, etc required, which is administered at the correct dose for a puppy, and I have just recently introduced these capsules to increase his stomach flora. P.s USA vets tend to be moving toward reducing unnessecary yearly vaccinations and increasing natural preventative methods such as the use of probiotics.

Sounds like you're giving this puppy an awful lot of supplements, have you considered letting him grow and build his own immune system for a while?

It may sound like I'm giving this puppy an awful lot of supplements, Sorry I have no idea where u got that from, as I have not stated what I'm giving him! But FYI- He is on a raw diet Roo/Beef meat, specific selection of verges, and a professional supplement with every essential vit, min, amino, etc required, which is administered at the correct dose for a puppy, and I have just recently introduced these capsules to increase his stomach flora. P.s USA vets tend to be moving toward reducing unnessecary yearly vaccinations and increasing natural preventative methods such as the use of probiotics.

Probiotic is not going to prevent parvo :confused:

My lab gets 1 of these each night i just break the capsule open and stir though her food, they have been really good for her, she had ongoing tummy troubles and skin issues these combined with a change in diet she is much much much better. She has had them since maybe October last year and still on them now ive only purchased two bottles, possibly will see how she goes without them once this bottle finishes.

http://www.blackmores.com.au/products/acidophilus-bifidus

That's good the AVA have that rec just a shame I had to ring 4 vets before I found one with out the old school train of thought, of vacination every year and only prescribed meds will work.

Edited by Hank DDB

The issue with the vaccs is that the manufacturer will only "guarantee" it for a year. Any vet giving the annual dose every three years is giving it off label - which exposes them to lawsuits if a dog does contract parvo between 1 and 3 years. I understand why some are hesitant as they are between a rock and a hard place.

just a shame I had to ring 4 vets before I found one with out the old school train of thought, of vacination every year and only prescribed meds will work.

;) could have saved yourself by asking for recommendations on here

Good idea

• 4 months later...

I know this topic is old but am interested to know about it..

if I get this for a 15 weeks old puppy - 2 kg, how much should I be giving her?

Looking at it, it has by capsule and stated children 2-6 years should take one capsule a day...

should I be giving half daily?

You shouldn't open capsules if you can avoid it. Many things are in capsule form for a reason - to prevent the stomach acids from destroying the contents in some cases or in some cases increasing palateability so it's taken.

Probiotics wont hurt to be overdosed. Just give the dog a whole capsule or get an animal tailored product like Vetafarm Probotic.

You shouldn't open capsules if you can avoid it. Many things are in capsule form for a reason - to prevent the stomach acids from destroying the contents in some cases or in some cases increasing palateability so it's taken.

Probiotics wont hurt to be overdosed. Just give the dog a whole capsule or get an animal tailored product like Vetafarm Probotic.

I can understand the capsule to contain it. I did see the kids Inner Heath Plus one with powder forms? I would think it might be ok to open the capsule?

At the moment, I am reluctant to overdose the little one as she has just completed her first 5 days course of Metrogyl antibiotics and Baycox. She will be on her next course, 7 days later.

I had a look at the pet PAW Blackmore, it says about 1gram for less than 10 kg dogs.

I have the Blackmores Intestinal Health on hand at the moment and thinking I can make use of it..

I agree with Nekhbet that a bit extra won't hurt - there's nothing harmful in a probiotic! Just go half a capsule if you're worried - it will be fine.

Was the metrogyl just for the coccidia, or is there something else going on too?

Our pup was just treated with the baycox and it worked fine - faecal test done several weeks later was clear.

From the Blackmores website under dosage:

Capsule may be opened and contents sprinkled on food or mixed with yoghurt.

http://www.blackmore...ophilus-bifidus

yes I saw that too... it says:

Features and benefits

• Capsule can be opened for easy dispensing to children or infants.
  • Provides special human strains which adhere to the bowel wall and colonise the intestines.
  • Suitable for use during pregnancy.