A Smelly Topic

redwallylegs

This is a rather smelly subject, but it is annoying me no end, and I would like some opinions.

My little rescue Chi has a habit of multi pooing, never staying in one spot he just drops it all over the place, often taking 10 minutes to do his little job.

I have never had a dog do this before and I dont quite know why it is happening. He has been checked over by the Vet several times and there

is no obvious physical problem other than he has bad patellas in both back legs, but this does not stop him from enjoying his doggy life.

Is there any way I can curtail this ? He has accidents inside when I am at work so it can be a hit and miss clean up with me finding 'gifts' all over the place.

Your dog's habit does seem to be at the extreme end of the scale, but I have had dogs who take ages to decide where to poo and then take their timing moving around a bit to do everything.

And then I've had those who stop, hunch, plop, walk on LOL.

If he has been checked out by the vet, then it has probably come about as a habit from times when squatting (for want of a better term) maybe hurt his legs. Or maybe that is just how he has always been. Obviously as he is a little rescue dog :thumbsup: you don't have history for him.

When you are at work, perhaps confine him to a smaller area rather than letting him have the run of the house, if that is what the situation is at the moment.

I've never used them, but maybe those puppy training pads might help to curtail the distance he travels when pooing.

One of ours does this, and she always has :) she likes to decide the best spot for it, and then she walks all over the place and poos. 90% of the time it's because she's following a scent. We've never had a problem with it because she doesn't have an indoor toilet. As others have said, a litter tray may be a good idea.

eta, you could look into crating :)

Edited by Clozza

worry no more..our little maltese cross would poo tiny bits in, on average, six - eight locations in any one sitting. I think he hates being near his own poo so the minute he offloads a bit he moves away. Glad ours isn't the only one!

You could try teaching your dog to poop on lead.

Mine will do a single pile if she's feeling safe and secure eg under the lemon tree.

But if she's out in the open with birds flying overhead or other dogs running around - she leaves a trail...

Putting her on lead limits her opportunity to go for an extended walk.

But lots of dogs do multi deposit on a long trail.

Aaah so I am not alone, I was beginning to wonder, none of my other dogs have ever done it.

He willn ot be crated, he just goes spare, and barks non stop, even for a short time, crate training lasted 4 days and then I had to question what I was going to get out of it.

Kitty litter he has access to but, I think he was owned by an older man and had access to the yard all the time, probably the door was just left open, I have a pet flap and he has access

to the patio and cat enclosure 24/7 so doing jobs in the house is a bit naughty, but he has cataracts and I think his sight is dodgy in the evenings and he most certainly has liimited vision

when he is in the dark, he just stops and wont budge, going from inside in the light to outside is a bit daunting. Same can be said of trying to use a lead . He wouldnt use it, well, he will go on his lead if there is someth8ing in it for him but not to poop.

He is sposed to only be 8, but I dont know whose planet that is on, he has both patellas a mess, hip dysplasia cataracts and has had multiple teeth removed at some point. I will just have to persevere and

more than likely probably just get used to it.........there is always newspaper. :)

Mmh, don't know prices or anything, but what about a motion sensor light for outside beside the flap? People often use them so thiefs are put off trying to enter the dog flap :p could be something to look into so he isnt going from light to dark? Even a cheapo to test it out?

3 of mine do it too. Stop, poop a bit, walk, stop, poop a bit, walk etc. I just assumed it was to make my life difficult :laugh:

My boy is the same and I'm with you on this one.. I think he does it on purpose just to have a laugh at me! Especially hard when out on walkies and trying to pick up in a bag lol.

If I am at work I leave the back light on and an inside light, it has helped somewhat but he is still going inside, maybe it is just spite because I left him at home, (!) but, I think the lighting outside may still be inadequate.

I have a sensor light somewhere, I will get it connected, but I think I may have to leave the kitchen light on so he has more light inside, may help.

Watching him again yesterday ( my neighbours must think I am nuts) I am starting to think it is his back legs, he has no problem running and playing for short periods, but he is having issues jumping up to the lounge

so I may have to look at a repair, at least of the right leg, it is the worse of the two. It is also the leg with hip issues, It flicks right out at an angle when he tries to hold his position. I guess that answers the question.