Brisbane - Best Councils For Dog Owners?

Longclaw

My friend is thinking about moving to Brisbane and is trying to suss out the best council areas for dogs (she has four).

Does anyone have any advice or info?

:thanks:

I live in Logan and find they are pretty good about multiple dogs. If you are on over 1/2 acre (I think it is) you can have four. All I did was fill out the paperwork, pay the fee and have a property check. I have four dogs.

Logan have special kennel permits for CCCQ members - up to 9 dogs with not a lot of conditions (they all have to be registered on top of the permit fee though). Ipswich if you're on 2000 m2 or more is four dogs with no permit required and people I have spoken to who live in the Brisbane City Council area itself reckon it's pretty easy for a CCCQ member to get a multiple dog permit. Moreton Bay have a special CCCQ member's permit too, also meant to be not to hard to get.

As for facilities, no idea - don't use dog parks or the like!

To be honest Moreton Bay Regional Council stick to the letter of their by-laws so it is worth checking property size and other rules in relation to permits before venturing here. A lot of bylaws changed following amalgamation, and dog ownership has been much more restricted than previously. Link below gives details for breeders' permits available. They are good to deal with in that they respond quickly and the staff are always helpful and pleasant - but they are pretty inflexible in my experience. I wanted to foster, but our property is not deemed of size to allow this and they were quite clear that even though it is a "case by case" basis that I shouldn't waste the non- refundable application fee.Even "visiting dogs" were not allowed above the maximum numbers based on property size. My argument that to foster my breed required additional couches rather than additional square meterage didn't sway them. :(

MBRC

Guest donatella

Yes Moreton Bay have or are banning pit bulls aren't they? Shame cause I'd say out of all the above mentioned councils MB have some of the nicest/family friendly suburbs and by the seaside too.

I live in Bris...thought it would be a bit of a song and dance to get a permit for more than two, but it turned out to be easy as. I expected someone from the council would want to inspect the property etc, but none of that happened...I just lodged the application, paid the fee, and that was that.

I live in Bris...thought it would be a bit of a song and dance to get a permit for more than two, but it turned out to be easy as. I expected someone from the council would want to inspect the property etc, but none of that happened...I just lodged the application, paid the fee, and that was that.

That is good to know. From what I've read in the past and only on DOL, they used to make it a bit of a song and a dance. Reality check by someone :thumbsup::thumbsup: .

I live in Moreton Bay Council area and have had 3, but one didnt really count he was a weenie.

I had a permit for him.

It depends on the size of the block, 600sqm you can have 2 cats and 2 dogs, additional dogs via permit only.

There are good off leash areas here which is a bonus, they can be strict, but it does depend on the dog.

They are sympathetic to rescue animals, and if you are a foster carer you can get a permit.

Canine Club you can get a permit as well.