Answered

mixeduppup

Why does my dog eat grass whilst herding the sheep? When she's working she'll randomly pluck grass. She doesn't seem anxious and has always been a casual worker so don't think it's anxiety. She'll just cast out and grab at the grass.

Edited by mixeduppup

Is the grass a recent thing ? Is it fresh & greener than usual? Our dogs will graze like sheep when there is sweet young grass :)

perhaps she enjoys the urine or other smells on the grass she chooses?

She could also have some nausea and is trying to relieve it ? Why this only occurs when working I have no idea . Does she have grass available at other times?

Just some ideas :)

Well we've been in drought so I suppose it is nice and green now. She doesn't seem to be nauseated and it's not followed by vomiting. She does it of an afternoon when she plays with the other dogs (sometimes) but more regularly when working. It could just be a ew and exciting thing to do and she does love eating. it's just weird lol.

I know a border collie that plucks grass as she works and she does it at other times as well. When working it seems to be a mixture of stress and excitement and at other times, such as dinner time, it is excitement.

My old dog used to do it whenever she came near my horse while he was eating grass. She would stare at him for a while, then very slowly put her head down and start ripping into the grass too.

I can only assume that she did it cos he was bigger and she wanted to go unnoticed like some form of halfwit ninja :rofl: