Is Rally O Suitable For Older Dogs?

My boy is 9 years old but he's arthitic and had surgrey on his cruciate ligament but he gets around just fine and still runs around. So was wondering if doing Rally O with him would be a good idea. We need to do a bit of work with him as he hasnt done anything for a few years but I like that you can encourage them in the ring which sounds good as my boy isnt really that high drive, but I think he might enjoy it as well as the outings so want to give it a try.

Edited by whitka

It's lots of fun, and the dogs enjoy it. There is quite a lot of sitting and getting up again - how is he with that? But you could certainly have lots of fun teaching him stuff. My feral 11 year old agility girl (thankfully fit :crossfingers: ) doesn't believe in obedience - but she really enjoys Rally - although she'd like that to be faster as well. :rofl:

My now 12.5 year old managed her RN title just after her 12th birthday. I do agree though the sitting and getting up again seems to be hard going on dogs with joint issues. I know even my super high drive youngster struggled after surgery for a stifle issue. She got through but I can tell it wasn't comfortable for her.

My oldie Ness - this was her second pass and she did manage her novice in straight passes. I have not opted to go on with Advanced with her though as she is struggling a little more these days.

Edited by ness

There are some pivot turns that might be a problem. Also some jumping and walking backwards in the higher levels. But you could still go to classes and see how you go. It is fun. Somethings Poppy doesn't do very prettily because of some issues but she loves doing it.

I really couldnt care less if he ever gets a title it is more about enjoyment for him something different then the normal walk, just because he's an older boy doesnt mean he cant have some fun :)

Depends on the dog to some extent Whitka - do you have access to somewhere you can do it for fun and that way you can just preclude those stations requiring lots of repetitive sits. As people keep telling me there are plenty of ways to enjoy a dog without trialling (well most dogs, try telling that to Kenz who would rather train then walk).

Edited by ness

Ness I think the local club here does it but I havent been for a few years so i'll have to check with them. They hold Rally O trials so im assumeing. I agree with you that you dont have to trial them to enjoy them. For me it would mostly be for the social aspect but that's why I go and watch :)

:laugh: then you know what I would do - take a chair and a picnic basket and go and watch :laugh:. Or offer to help steward I know the obedience clubs here are always grateful of offers of assistance.

Or yep do as JulesP does - train the dog and enjoy it as a fun activity but don't worry about the added pressure of trying to trial.

Edited by ness

Ness I like that idea very much :D I've been thinking about going back to club just to get refrehsed because I really need it :laugh: Im just loving getting back into it with Toby without that added pressure of a trial, my boy really seems to be enjyoing it more as well :)

Edited by whitka

Guest Clover

The whole getting up and down thing is what is putting me off. He has his good and bad days.

That's what my boy might struggle with as well :(. I really would like to give it a shot with him though, but not if it will cause him more trouble.

Yeah Clover, its quite surprising how hard some of the novice moves are from that respect. It can be made worse by the order of stations as well. Our first trial we had a sit/halt as the second station and then the 1,2,3 step sit a the second station and my youngster found that very hard going physically. She was about 5-6 months post-op from memory but had been released to normal activity for at least 3 months.

Edited by ness

It's lots of fun, and the dogs enjoy it. There is quite a lot of sitting and getting up again - how is he with that? But you could certainly have lots of fun teaching him stuff. My feral 11 year old agility girl (thankfully fit :crossfingers: ) doesn't believe in obedience - but she really enjoys Rally - although she'd like that to be faster as well. :rofl:

My friend has a 13yo Border Terrier who has just achieved her RN title with her third pass at the Sydney Royal...go, little Jerry! But she has decided to retire Jerry at this point, mainly because of the pivots, jumps etc. in the more advanced levels. They have had such fun doing it together, though. I'd say give it a try and have a good time :)

Go the old dogs!

A thing folks might like to play with with their older dogs, just for fun, is some form of Rally Freestyle. Have a look on the Net - yoiu'll find some descriptions.

And maybe you could persuade clubs to play around with some sort of Veterans' courses.

Again - just for fun - but providing a bit of a challenge for handlers :)

Guest Clover

I was wondering if there were veterans courses. That would be great if clubs set up for the oldies as well. I did a bit with my boy today and he did surprisingly well :).