A Raw / Vets All Natural Diet

Hey everyone,

I'm new around these parts so please let me know if this is inappropriate for this forum.

I've had my dog for about 6 months, and he has been on raw for the entire time.

His diet is:

Vets all natural puppy mix

liver or kidney

flax seed oil

chicken carcass or necks

raw meat (heart, tongue, whatever we can get)

the occasional egg.

The vet we see if VERY against raw, and he's gotten under my skin worrying about mineral difficiencies, and he has never heard of vets all natural.

I'm not concerned about calcium / phosphorus but is there anything else I should take into consideration? Maybe Zinc?

Thanks for your help!

One of the vets at my surgery is against raw aswell, he said it can cause salmonela . My vet there is fine with me feeding it.

I feed VANS complete mix ,and roo meat, which is really lean. I also give them a chicken drumstick or wing for brekky.

I would have thought the VANS and meat was fine on its own it contains everything they should have i wouldn't worry about adding extra vitamins, eggs would be ok i presume.

You could always contact VANS , they have a thread here and ask, pretty helpful.

I was prewarned when I took our Miah to the vets for her vaccinations that if they asked what Im feeing her, that they would most likely be against raw feeding too (not necessarily meaning our vets in particular, but in general)

Luckily our vet didn't say much at all, of course they try to promote dry food in their puppy starter kit (but thats not necessarily their own opinion, but those of the companies that put them together). All he said was becareful not to overdo the calcium side of things. He didn't explain why tho, and we didn't ask him.

We are going by her breeder's guideline and advice, she has always fed her Cavaliers raw and natural and they all looked healthy to me :)

Ironcally how our vet said to becareful not to give too much calcium in her diet, another fb friend of mine took her Cav puppy to the vet and she told them she is giving her puppy a natural and raw diet, and her vet said that it would be a good idea to give it some calcium supplements ! (opposite to what mine said lol)

I have never done the complete raw diet in the past, but I'm feeling pretty confident with going by Miah's breeder advice in regards to her diet.

So far so good, Miah is now just over 4 months old, and at her last vet check ( a week ago), the vet said shes in top condition :)

Zooninthecity, Did your puppy's breeder give you feeding instructions?? there are many threads in this section of this forum with advice about raw feeding :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Diet sounds fine to me. I'd be looking for another vet!!

Yep! This.

Your dogs diet sounds very similar to mine. We feed VAN mixed with roo along with raw meat on the bone (chicken, lamb, roo or rabbit) as the main diet, plus occasional eggs, fish (sardines or mackerel), left over veg/rice/pasta or offal (hearts/liver). Occasionally they get some lactose free milk as well. Dogs do well on this.

VAN mix already contains all the extras that a commercial diet would so no real need to add supplements. No harm adding a bit of omega oil or probiotics if you wish though.

There's a big difference in feeding a pup VAN vs your own home-made raw diet. Provided you mix it up according to the directions you can't really stuff it up.

Diet sounds fine -VAN with meat or some meat with bone is a complete diet - I wouldn't add supplements to this as you'll then make things unbalanced.

Only deficiency I see is you are only giving flax seed oil, which doesn't have the right balance of omega 3 and 6. You cam get VAN balanced oil, or feed sardines as a meal once a week to balance this out.

Amino cal plus do a google search, can be used just to make sure your puppy is getting everything

the diet stated gives plenty of calcium, it doesn't need a

supplement.

It can't hurt to make someone aware if a product that may be useful. You need to back off or reword your input because you are pissing me off.

Amino cal plus do a google search, can be used just to make sure your puppy is getting everything

the diet stated gives plenty of calcium, it doesn't need a

supplement.

It can't hurt to make someone aware if a product that may be useful. You need to back off or reword your input because you are pissing me off.

Maybe you need to stop giving advice that could be harmful? Adding a calcium supplement to a diet that contains edible bones and VAN could be dangerous, so providing this advice is irresponsible.

Edited by minimax

Actually too much calcium is VERY dangerous for growing puppies. Van has the right amount of calcium. More isn't better. You need to stop giving dangerous advice or qualify it

How could you be pissed off at what minimax said? Makes no sense!.

Edited by megan_

Actually too much calcium is VERY dangerous for growing puppies. Van has the right amount of calcium. More isn't better.

See thats what the vet cautioned me about with my puppy, not that he knows exactly what we are giving her. Going by her breeders instructions atm. We don't feed that Van stuff tho..

So apparently not enough calcium is bad for them and too much is dangerous for them too ( why is that anyway, as I don't know ?? the too much calcium ?)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Actually too much calcium is VERY dangerous for growing puppies. Van has the right amount of calcium. More isn't better.

See thats what the vet cautioned me about with my puppy, not that he knows exactly what we are giving her. Going by her breeders instructions atm. We don't feed that Van stuff tho..

So apparently not enough calcium is bad for them and too much is dangerous for them too ( why is that anyway, as I don't know ?? the too much calcium ?)

Too much calcium can cause bone issues - rapid bone growth, but large bones with low strength/density.

Incidentally, for those who feel the need to supplement a diet with calcium, don't waste your money on the calcium powders. Invariably all that will happen is that your dog will produce calcium-powder-coated poo. Nil absorption.

Liquid calciums are far better and more readily absorbed by the body. And a lot easier to dose correctly as well.