Help With Puppy's Biting

cnsunshine

Our Ridgeback was exactly like this he's 5 months now and he has his moment's though he's a million time's better than a month ago, I found re-focusing on something else like getting them to sit,down, helps alot, and we have started mat training! Also the no touching is what our trainer told us to do with him too, he used to go through the roof excited when we patted him and would automatically bite.

We also used a large puppy pen when we first got him, our trainer told us this was the only place we could play with him and as soon as he jumped on us or bit during play or any time, we remove ourselves from the pen for 20 seconds then return, if he did it again we'd go out again etc.. this helped alot! He picked it up so fast that when he bit us, fun stopped.

We tried all the puppy biting method's too like thumb under tongue none worked for our boy, only the removing ourselves from his 'playzone' now he has his moment's usually when my partner come's home from work and he get's so excited he bites him, He doesn't do this with me because i ignore him till he's calm and then treat him with my pat when he lie's down. It's harder to train my OH to ignore him till he's calmed down to be honest!

Hope all goe's well with your pup thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi RidgieAmy, thanks for the advice. I know what you mean about the OH, we had that initial problem too, it wasn't until he saw the pup getting worse that he took everything seriously.

We've completely changed our methods with her, we ignore her for at least 10 to 15 minutes when we see her in the morning, after work, when we go downstairs etc and she's starting to be calmer and quieter. We've also increased her training sessions, she's started her obedience school on Saturday and we've noticed that she's happier when she's being trained. We've also started clicker training with her, early days so not sure how it was affect her temperament. She still bites a little but its far less frequent and most of the time, we're able to distract her before she latches on.

My partner has also suggested that perhaps I'm not paying enough attention to her, and she just wants to play with me. Its a possibility, because the moment i stop playing or i'm concentrating on something else she starts to nibble. Not sure how to deal with this yet besides trying to free up some more time.

One day at a time! Although this morning I had to go to work early and she stood there with my partner watching me reverse out of the garage and it broke my heart, i didn't want to leave!

That is an improvement - well done :)

pups/dogs NEED to learn self-sufficiency ...they need to play by themselves ( obviously with provided intereactive toys)

pups/dogs also get you love & attention in bucketfuls during training/walking ..because you are rewarding them for every 'right; move they make. What could be better? They have their brain switched on..are following direction, and getting rewards :)

If you are doing several VERY SHORT training sessions with her each day , plus a walk or two .... she does not need to be pestering you for attention.

Giving her your attention is YOUR choice ...not hers . That's what she has to learn - similar to a whinging toddler , who grabs your clothing and grizzles while you are trying to cook a meal or talk on the phone ......there are times when playing alone is a Very Good Thing.

That is an improvement - well done :)

pups/dogs NEED to learn self-sufficiency ...they need to play by themselves ( obviously with provided intereactive toys)

pups/dogs also get you love & attention in bucketfuls during training/walking ..because you are rewarding them for every 'right; move they make. What could be better? They have their brain switched on..are following direction, and getting rewards :)

If you are doing several VERY SHORT training sessions with her each day , plus a walk or two .... she does not need to be pestering you for attention.

Giving her your attention is YOUR choice ...not hers . That's what she has to learn - similar to a whinging toddler , who grabs your clothing and grizzles while you are trying to cook a meal or talk on the phone ......there are times when playing alone is a Very Good Thing.

I think she's becoming very attached to us, she doesn't seem to relax. My partner keeps telling me that that is just how puppies are. I think this saturday I will speak to the obedience trainer and ask her if she can show us how to get her to relax.

haha i definitely agree with the toddler thing, she is always nudging us for attention. earlier tonight, she kept nudging me until i sat on the floor and she just chewed on her bone anyways :confused:

she kept nudging me until i sat on the floor and she just chewed on her bone anyways :confused:

yes, of COURSEshe did :p

She made you go where she wanted you to ..then relaxed .

Both you and she need to learn that it is not the pup who makes decisions as to who goes where/does what ...... and this needs to be learnt ASAP , she has you right where she wants you ! :)

Have you read about Nothing In Life Is Free ?

I think it's a great concept ... if humans learn it properly, then a pup/dog CAN decide just how much affection/praise it gets each day .... merely for pleasing the humans !! :)

Have a read ....CLICK HERE

Humans merely need to learn to watch and to be patient , and the immediacy of reward ...pups/dogs learn what brings them reward .... and what brings absolutely nothing !

:)

She has a dominant nature and its easy to give in because I adore her, but its a bad habit! I've just read that article again, we have been using NILIF but I have to say, we're probably not as strict as we should be.

we have been using NILIF but I have to say, we're probably not as strict as we should be.

;) That's a bit like being 'a little bit' pregnant . You either are or not. :)

Look at it maybe as not a dog dominating you ...but more a language barrier .The dog is getting a reward by using a paw , or a nose, or barking ..as a puppy would to another pup /its mum...Mum, stop, ,I need to suckle ...... Mum, I just need to touch you , ....Hey littermate ..I poke, you chase, ok? .... That sort of thing :)

The other pup, or mum would turn & walk away , or if the behaviour kept up, would give 'THE look', maybe followed by a growl/nip.

Humans are not quite fluent in dog ...so need to do other things to show dog what makes everyone happy :)

we have been using NILIF but I have to say, we're probably not as strict as we should be.

;) That's a bit like being 'a little bit' pregnant . You either are or not. :)

Look at it maybe as not a dog dominating you ...but more a language barrier .The dog is getting a reward by using a paw , or a nose, or barking ..as a puppy would to another pup /its mum...Mum, stop, ,I need to suckle ...... Mum, I just need to touch you , ....Hey littermate ..I poke, you chase, ok? .... That sort of thing :)

The other pup, or mum would turn & walk away , or if the behaviour kept up, would give 'THE look', maybe followed by a growl/nip.

Humans are not quite fluent in dog ...so need to do other things to show dog what makes everyone happy :)

Haha alright guilty. Not implementing it properly. I get what you mean, it's important to be consistent with her which is something which has been lacking on our end. I think every time I see an improvement in her behaviour it gives me a lot of hope.

To be honest, I haven't through about the whole nipping this as a communication tool... It does make more sense, maybe that's how she gets us to do what she wants.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Not sure if anyone really cares but thought I'd give an update anyways :D. We had our beahvioural consultant with Steve from K9 pro a couple of weeks ago and WOW! Best money every spent, we got a lot of clarity on her behaviour and had a lot of guidance on how to change her behaviour and take back control. We've implemented the new training program given to us by Steve for about a week now and it feels like we have a whole different puppy. She's more calm (a long way to go but I am stoked to see the change in her) and its been 1 week since she has bitten me haha.

• 1 month later...