Funny Things You Have Heard About Your Breed...

SwaY

It's cruel to own Samoyeds in hot climates, they're Malamute/Sibe crosses, true Samoyeds can't have blue eyes.

My absolute favourite was from a guy I suspected was off his face who told me Samoyeds aren't actually dogs, their descended from Bears! Hard to keep a straight face during that one.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My absolute favourite was from a guy I suspected was off his face who told me Samoyeds aren't actually dogs, their descended from Bears! Hard to keep a straight face during that one.

I've had numerous little kids ask if the Pyrs are polar bears, it's very cute :)

I've had numerous little kids ask if the Pyrs are polar bears, it's very cute :)

If it had been a child it would have been adorable. From a 30 something guy, not to cute :laugh:

My breed miss most of the strange stuff as not many people know what they are - except to say with authority that they are "Lassie cross Staghounds"...

But when I had Afghans... "They're the dumbest dogs in the world. The blondes of the dog world". Yeah. Right. Thanks. So long as you're not trying to predict whatever cunning scheme they are coming up with next...

When I mention that I show dogs.... "what breed do you show?".... Response "You probably won't have heard of them, Basset Fauve De Bretagne" followed by the expected (and sensible) blank look. I can respond with many standard responses which normally include "there are only 43 in Australia" and I get asked 90% of times "what breeds are in them then"... :laugh:

Not helped when people see them :rofl: I regularly hear "oh look at the Cocker Spaniel X"

Can't be too concerned when you show a rare breed though.

At the Royal last year I was watching the Fauve's being judged and looking after one on top if the trolley, someone asked me what breed they were, I replied with Wire Haired Basset - they said Oh I thought so !

That a good working kelpie should never be exposed to children when it's a puppy as it ruins them.... :eek:

Hahahaha

Our very good working dog slept on the end of my bed and would work her guts out

I currently have a wonderful yard dog sleeping on my couch and next week she'll go out and back all day. :D

I had a councillor of my state body tell my neighbours that my breed was bred to "hunt down and kill people" and would also "kill all the local pets and wildlife"...scared the hell out of the neighbours until they actually came over and met ther dogs and realised it was all BS....

Overheard today whilst watching the Golden Retriever judging....member of Joe Q public said to her friend "I had one of those when I was a kid, only he was black..........." I went :eek: shortly followed by :rofl:

At the NSW Dogs On Show event at the end of a very long day with our Neapolitan Mastiffs several teenagers approached giggling and one asked "how do you walk that dog" - I forgot to be diplomatic and replied "on a lead". Was worth it though when the rest of the teenagers and anyone else within hearing laughed.

Years back before I became immune we were often asked if our Neapolitans were "rolly dogs" like on TV. I used to osit up a soft toy Sharpei on top of a toilet roll - with a sign saying I am a Rolly Dog and signs over our Neapolitans saying Neapolitan Mastiff.

Despite the name of our dog and even when I put up an Italian Flag the question is "what country are they from".

You have to laugh.

At the NSW Dogs On Show event at the end of a very long day with our Neapolitan Mastiffs several teenagers approached giggling and one asked "how do you walk that dog" - I forgot to be diplomatic and replied "on a lead". Was worth it though when the rest of the teenagers and anyone else within hearing laughed.

Years back before I became immune we were often asked if our Neapolitans were "rolly dogs" like on TV. I used to osit up a soft toy Sharpei on top of a toilet roll - with a sign saying I am a Rolly Dog and signs over our Neapolitans saying Neapolitan Mastiff.

Despite the name of our dog and even when I put up an Italian Flag the question is "what country are they from".

You have to laugh.

I have been asked, more than once, where Irish Wolfhounds and/or Afghan Hounds come from. :rofl: I have also been asked "what do they (Irish Wolfhounds) do?" "ummm hunt wolves in Ireland." :)

I have also answered the "how do you walk that?" question with "On a lead", it just slips out before you think - usually on day three of a show weekend. :)

Probably 25 years ago now we were travelling behind my cousins to their farm. They were towing a trailer with a cow & Curly Coated Retriever in it. We stopped for lunch in a country town when a grandmother & her grandson stopped to have a look at them. Grandmother said to grandson, that's a cow & that's a sheep pointing to the dog. :laugh: