How Often Do We Do The 'annual' Vaccination?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's once every adult lifetime. I don't vaccinate my dogs anymore. I still firmly believe the puppy vaccinations are essential. I would personally follow up with one when the dog became an adult and that is all.

For me it's once every adult lifetime. I don't vaccinate my dogs anymore. I still firmly believe the puppy vaccinations are essential. I would personally follow up with one when the dog became an adult and that is all.

Same for me. I do puppy vacs and then the first adult booster and thats it for life. .......but I'm starting to doubt whether that first booster is even necessary.

AVA recommends the annual dose given every three years. You need to be very specific with the vet though as many give a triple dose every three years

Wow crazy I have not heard of anyone being silly enough to give triple doses!!! (and scary)

There are a number of products now labeled for 3yrly vaccination although even those labeled for 1 yr can be given triennially- its just that vets are less likely to go off label with them so there are still a lot of vets that recommend yearly vaccination according to manufactures guidelines. But I would go with the AVA (Australia Veterinary Association) and the World Small Animal Veterinary Association who recommend triennial.

Personally I do 2 puppy vacs, titre at 15mths and if they are high then thats it. But that is because I believe my dogs would be constantly exposed so will naturally have high immunity. It may not be the best protocol for dogs that are not as in contact with the core diseases.

Edited by Jumabaar

One or two puppy shots (will wait until 12 weeks if everything suits to do so) one at 14 months then not again. Like someone else has mentioned though, my dogs are out and about - keeping their base immunity active I have no doubt. Dogs isolated in their own back yard may well be a different story.

AVA recommends the annual dose given every three years. You need to be very specific with the vet though as many give a triple dose every three years

Seriously? Three vaccine vials for one dog... really sounds very doubtful. There is a registered vaccine that the manufacturers have tested and proven that it will last for at least 3 years but it is not a triple dose.

Mine get either 2 or 3 puppy shots (depending on timing, what they have prior to me getting them etc) and then they are tested at 14-18months (whenever I get around to it).

So far every one of them has tested off the scale (>80) for distemper and parvo with only puppy shots. I had them retested last year when Whip was nearly 2 (and I figured I should actually check his puppy vacs had worked) and they were all >80. Charlie was 7, Delta 5, and Whip 2.

I will never give an adult vacc unless testing shows their levels are low, which to date they never have been. I retest every 3 years or so but thats more for piece of mind for training clubs. In theory, if they have immunity they should keep it for life.

What? My 10 year old Lab has been on annual vaccinations for 10 times now. What, is it time to stop?!?!

So next vaccination is due at 13yrs of age.

after 10 years old no C3 vaccination is required.

Interesting to also note Dr Jean Dodds research states that - The Kennel Cough vaccination in the C4 & C5 are only valid for 6 months therefore her recommendation is that should you feel you need to board your dog or place in a higher risk environment then vaccinate for this shortly before.

Also pregnant or lactating bitches should not be vaccinated.

All vets should have received the information from the AVA so really they have no excuse to tell the public any different from their own governing body. I have had some vets tell clients that a tri-annual vaccination is available but more expensive, this is bull@t as the same vaccine is used.

The main problem for the public is that often boarding kennels and dog clubs still ask for an annual certificate - those who do request annual vaccination are not current with their information and they should be advised of this. Even Dogs Victoria published an update not that long ago.

Edited by alpha bet

What? My 10 year old Lab has been on annual vaccinations for 10 times now. What, is it time to stop?!?!

Interesting to also note Dr Jean Dodds research states that - The Kennel Cough vaccination in the C4 & C5 are only valid for 6 months therefore her recommendation is that should you feel you need to board your dog or place in a higher risk environment then vaccinate for this shortly before.

All vets should have received the information from the AVA so really they have no excuse to tell the public any different from their own governing body. I have had some vets tell clients that a tri-annual vaccination is available but more expensive, this is bull@t as the same vaccine is used.

The main problem for the public is that often boarding kennels and dog clubs still ask for an annual certificate - those who do request annual vaccination are not current with their information and they should be advised of this. Even Dogs Victoria published an update not that long ago.

Not all vets are members of the AVA- it is a voluntary membership so not all vets would have been spoon fed the information. They should have all done their own continuing information to keep up to date- I worry if a vet isnt up to date on vaccinations what else they may be behind on the times with.

Also although I do agree that after 10yrs you shouldn't need to vaccinate but that is something the individual should be discussing with their veterinarian because ultimately all we can offer is oppinion and we dont know the dog or the area etc.

The Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) believes that in most cases, core vaccines need not be administered any more frequently than triennially and that even less frequent vaccination may be considered appropriate if an individual animal’s circumstances warrant it. However, local factors may dictate more frequent vaccination scheduling. These recommendations may be ‘off label’ for some vaccines.

Individual animals will require assessment by a veterinarian to select the most appropriate vaccine and vaccination protocol. The veterinarian–client–patient relationship is important to fully understand the individual’s needs.

I am also one who does puppy shots, first booster and thats it. I started doing this 15 years ago when my then 2 year old Lhasa had terrible reactions to vaccinations. He is still alive today :) None of my dogs have ever contracted a contagious disease.

I've been nosing around the vaccination issue in (ridiculously early) preparation and the only issue seems to be if the need arises for boarding or kennelling, lots of places seem to be more accepting of titre and the like, but by the same token it seems to limit choices a lot still.

Does anyone know if there is more places accepting titre tests now or do you still have a little trouble?

Im not getting our older cavs done at all anymore. Think they had the 3 yearly one done a few years ago.

Miah our new puppy had her first lot done with her breeder, but her second and booster, I just had the C3, not the C5. The other components are treatable should she get something.

I will reassess the next lot when she's due as an adult if I decide to get her done or not, probably might just one lot of the 3 yearly ones if I do. I don't care how much they push it.

We have been doing puppy kindy, and the instructor accepted her in with the C3. And another training place we might go too later (after puppy kindy) accepts just C3 as well or holistic vaccinations. Its highly unlikely she will ever have to go into kennels.

I've always had Zeus and Kirah annually vaccinated but am now considering bringing up the tri-annual vaccine. I'm unsure how to approach the topic though.

Poochie was probably only ever vaccinated as a puppy then never again for her 16 years and she had a good, long, disease free life. I even doubt she completed all of her puppy vaccines because my parents were of the opinion that she'd been vaccinated.

Both my guys will be due for their annual booster within the next few months so I'm thinking of making an appointment beforehand to discuss the options of vaccinating every three years. My dogs never get boarded either so that's not an option.

One question though, if I'm wishing to compete with them in agility trials, are they required to have annual vaccinations or is every three years suffient?

My girl would have horrible itchy skin 6 weeks after a C5 vaccination. She hasn't had one for 3 years and is due. She won't be getting a C5 but a C3. She has been titre tested and for the first time, 3 months ago, she was low on one of them, but still high for parvo and distemper. The puppy is due for her booster shot, so I will probably do them both then and then titre test after this.

My understanding, at the moment, is that you can't get pet health insurance unless you annually vaccinate? Is this correct?

I've always had Zeus and Kirah annually vaccinated but am now considering bringing up the tri-annual vaccine. I'm unsure how to approach the topic though.

Poochie was probably only ever vaccinated as a puppy then never again for her 16 years and she had a good, long, disease free life. I even doubt she completed all of her puppy vaccines because my parents were of the opinion that she'd been vaccinated.

Both my guys will be due for their annual booster within the next few months so I'm thinking of making an appointment beforehand to discuss the options of vaccinating every three years. My dogs never get boarded either so that's not an option.

One question though, if I'm wishing to compete with them in agility trials, are they required to have annual vaccinations or is every three years suffient?

My local obedience club will accept the titre certificate. The local agility club won't. Suffice to say we don't do agility - which is a pity. I've told them they need to change their rules and go by the AVA recommendations. (Especially as DogsSA has done a similar update as DogsVic has).

I've been nosing around the vaccination issue in (ridiculously early) preparation and the only issue seems to be if the need arises for boarding or kennelling, lots of places seem to be more accepting of titre and the like, but by the same token it seems to limit choices a lot still.

Does anyone know if there is more places accepting titre tests now or do you still have a little trouble?

We accept the three year rule or the titre tests at our Boarding and also in Training classes..

Edited by alpha bet

My girl would have horrible itchy skin 6 weeks after a C5 vaccination. She hasn't had one for 3 years and is due. She won't be getting a C5 but a C3. She has been titre tested and for the first time, 3 months ago, she was low on one of them, but still high for parvo and distemper. The puppy is due for her booster shot, so I will probably do them both then and then titre test after this.

My understanding, at the moment, is that you can't get pet health insurance unless you annually vaccinate? Is this correct?

My local obedience club will accept the titre certificate. The local agility club won't. Suffice to say we don't do agility - which is a pity. I've told them they need to change their rules and go by the AVA recommendations. (Especially as DogsSA has done a similar update as DogsVic has).

Pet insurance wont cover for diseases that you can vaccinate against if your not up to date with vaccines but you can still get insurance.

Manufactures that guarantee their vaccine for three years often also will cover for these diseases if your dog has been vaccinated with their vaccine- which would be cheaper than using pet insurance anyway. But best to check with the manufacture what their policy actually is.

jr_oz have you thought about using a different type of vaccine to see if you have the same reaction? ie if you used a killed vaccine last time it may have been a reaction to the adjuvant so a live vaccine with no adjuvant may be safer.