How Often Do We Do The 'annual' Vaccination?

I think kennel cough vaccine only last 6 months, not positive though. If I absolutely had to vaccinate I'd do C3 triennially and only do kennel cough if I was showing or putting them in kennels. I wouldn't be too worried about them catching it in their normal environment, I've never had a dog with it.

Another thing to note is that the kennel cough vaccine is similar to the human flu vaccine in that it doesn't cover all strains.

Edited by moosepup

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had all my guys to the vet today and before I had chance to ask about the 3 yearly vaccine the vet said it has all changed now, they get C3 every 3 years and the Kennel cough every year, she used a syringe and did the kennel cough up Lacy's nose but didn't attempt it with Bronson as she could tell it would be a problem so still gave him the KC in the injection with the C3. One of my girls will be a problem too so probly have to have the injection instead of up the nose.

I can understand the move to triennial vaccinations -- humans haven't annual boosters for things like measles rubella tetanus for a long time. Tetanus is once every 10 years I think.

Indeed.

I'm just going to titre test every few years but I'm confident I'll never have to vaccinate either dog again in their lifetime.

Incidentally, Zoe is the longest lived dog we've ever had and the least vaccinated. Our other dogs have died of cancers (all raised in the same house), whether that was in part related to over vaccination or not who knows but it's certainly pause for thought.

Edited by moosepup

I have this argument every year when I take mine for their vaccinations. It came about from the information I read on here and also when they get the syringe of vaccine ready it's always the same size syringe. My dogs are all different sizes from quite small to larger breeds and yet they all get the same amount. I once asked if the same amount of vaccine would be injected for a 70 kilo Bull Mastiff as for a 5 kilo Chihuahua and they said yes....this got me thinking. But every vet seems to think alike (diff vets, same clinic) they all insist that dogs need to be done EVERY year and only a very foolish person would risk their dogs life by doing it every 3 years. I then feel very guilty and end up getting them vaccinated. I asked about titre testing and they say it will cost just as much if not more than the vaccination. I say it's not all about money but I don't want to over medicate my dogs but even after that they didn't seem keen on doing it, saying there's no way to over medicate, yearly shots are the way to go blah blah blah...

I get confused too and I guess in the end I just let the vet talk me into regular yearly vaccinations.

I have no idea who to believe. If it's just about money or what? But I do know if it's just once every 3 years or just once in a dogs life, if this is indeed true then perhaps those financially challenged people, the type that insist on getting a dog (you know...for the kiddies :grimace: ) and then complain that they can't afford the costs of vet otherwise their children will starve would get their dogs vaccinated...as every-time there's a parvo outbreak in this town it always starts in the same feral part of town. The disease could maybe be just about eliminated altogether and wouldn't that be the best for all canines...you'd think but I think there's an untruth buried somewhere and I'd just like to see the truth come out.

So....if my dog had a C5 one year ago would that be sufficient for another two years or would I need to get him done again this year with a C3 to last for another 3 years? Anyone? I am trying to get it straight so I can know what I want before I go to the vets and get overwhelmed with the information he throws at me :) I just want to get the minimum for boarding purposes actually - if I didn't have to board him occasionally I don't think I would bother. He is only a little 4kg guy with skin problems and I hate to bombard him with chemicals :(

So....if my dog had a C5 one year ago would that be sufficient for another two years or would I need to get him done again this year with a C3 to last for another 3 years? Anyone? I am trying to get it straight so I can know what I want before I go to the vets and get overwhelmed with the information he throws at me :) I just want to get the minimum for boarding purposes actually - if I didn't have to board him occasionally I don't think I would bother. He is only a little 4kg guy with skin problems and I hate to bombard him with chemicals :(

Irrespective of whether your dog really needs another vaccination, if the certificate says it's due at 12 mths that's what the kennels will go by. When my dog was due for her annual C5 she was given the tri-annual C3. When she went to the kennel she was given the Kennel Cough nasal spray a week before and this was also noted on her vaccination certificate. The kennel was happy with her vaccinations.

Talk to your Boarding Kennels - mostly they havent changed the system because they don't know and havent bothered learning more.... If everyone starts to query and even copy the Statements of Dogs Vic and Govt Websites then perhaps the boarding industry will start to take notice and this will filter through.

We use the new system in our kennels and have done for the last two years.... I keep telling clients to query their vets and now some of the vets are starting to change their recommendation. Sometimes you have to force their hand to change. Same with the obedience clubs who are too lazy to keep up to date.... push it...... they will change.

Hopefully then we won't be vaccinating dogs just for convenience.

ps... there is no such thing as a tri-annual vaccination - all the c3 vaccines are viable for three years it is just the companies using old labels.

Edited by alpha bet

ps... there is no such thing as a tri-annual vaccination - all the c3 vaccines are viable for three years it is just the companies using old labels.

That's good to know. Basically all I need to ask for is that my dogs be given a C3 vaccination and they're good for three years.

Something has to be wrong with what's going on in the pet world. Dogs seem to be living shorter lives considering all the info that's bombarded at us about premium foods, worming, ticks vaccinations, heartworm, raw bones vs cooked etc. I still keep coming back to my gorgeous Poochie who was around 16 when she was PTS -- never wormed (or if so, very rarely), definitely not covered for heartworm ever, would've been lucky to have received all puppy vaccinations then never again vaccinated, no such thing as Frontlined or the likes and fed table scraps and given cooked lamb leg bones. She was basically the epitome of everything we're taught NOT to do to our dogs yet she lived 16 years.

I'm at a huge question mark regarding whether or not I'm doing right by my guys by feeding premium kibble and raw, vaccinating, giving worm prevention and all the bells and whistles. Sometimes I can't help but think a lot of it all is overkill, but at the same time I'm paranoid about things like ticks and all the nasties that can be picked up -- especially since my dogs travel with me almost everywhere.

[quote name='alpha bet'

After reading this I checked Indi's certificate and the vet has written C3 Triennial. When I looked for the definition of 'triennial' I found it can mean 1. Occurring every 3 years or 2. Lasting 3 years.

That being the case it's still accurate to be called triennial as they 'require' it to occur every 3 years

Edited by gsdog2

Wow, what an informative read this thread was!

My frenchie is due to get her first annual vaccs this weekend. I will certainly be having the conversation with the Vet about what the vaccines are and how often we need to get them.

After reading this I checked Indi's certificate and the vet has written C3 Triennial. When I looked for the definition of 'triennial' I found it can mean 1. Occurring every 3 years or 2. Lasting 3 years.

That being the case it's still accurate to be called triennial as they 'require' it to occur every 3 years

I think what alpha meant was that the "annual" C3 and the "triennial" C3 are exactly the same injection, it's just how the drug companies have labelled the product that varies, which is why vet advice varies, ie. if the product says it needs to be given annually then that's what the vet recommends. This is what the AVA/APVMA wants to change, the misleading labelling.

The APVMA does not support the retention of label statements that direct or imply a universal need for life-long annual revaccinations with core vaccines. The APVMA supports the AVA's vaccination policy and is of the view that product labels should be amended to align with that policy. The APVMA is working with vaccine registrants with a view to updating labels.

So technically when I went with my guys the other day they should have only had the Bordetella and nothing else as they were vaccinated last yet and yet they still had the C3? I'm confused!

Also mine won't be having the Bordettela up the nose stuff again as Lacy had a reaction to this one 6 hours after the stuff was given, eyes swelled, ears blotched up and would have got worse, we were at the vets within 15 minutes by the time we got there she was scratching herself silly and shaking her head like crazy. Within 15 mins of the antihistamine being given she was nearly back to normal. This is the second time one of my guys has reacted to vaccines. Cooper had a reaction as a pup, much worse than Lacy and happened within 15 mins of the vacc being given. The vet said dogs are more likely to react to the bacterial vaccines such as the Bordetella and not the viral ones like the C3.

In any case, I really despise having to give them vaccination and there is so much conflicting info it's hard to know what to go with! We trust our vets but how do we know if they are doing the right thing?

Another thing I'm wondering is it possible for a dog to have an upset tummy, the runs and just a little unwell 3-4 days after the vaccination?

Edited by tlc

So technically when I went with my guys the other day they should have only had the Bordetella and nothing else as they were vaccinated last yet and yet they still had the C3? I'm confused!

If it were me they wouldn't have had anything but it really depends on what you do with the dogs, where you live and what you feel comfortable with. I don't think the vets are trying to do the 'wrong' thing by you when recommending annual vacs, they're either behind the times a bit or just following religiously what the vac label says. I think we're still at the point where owners need to do their own research and make the decision they feel most comfortable with. The AVPMA (Aus govermentment) site I linked to even discourages the recommendation of annual vacs.

For me, the titre results are proof that I don't need to vaccinate for parvo, distemper or hepatitis (C3) possibly ever again. I don't see a need in giving a preventative for kennel cough as it's very rarely fatal and the KC vaccines don't cover all strains anyway. I also have never had a dog with KC so the risk to me is very minimal.

The only thing they get regularly is Interceptor but even then I only give it every 6 - 8 weeks.

I think being off colour for a few days from a vacc wouldn't be unexpected, I'd get them checked if it carried on for over a week though.

Edited by moosepup

I've done 3 puppy vaccs (C5) and he had extreme reactions to them. I plan to titre test at one year before deciding on whether I should do the booster and annually titre test after. I will insist on it (though vets are known to be very persistent) even if it ends up costing me more than a C5 combo. I don't go to dog clubs and will very rarely kennel him anyway.

I do think we live in an overmedicated world. The difference is dogs have no say in it so it's up to us to do our research and weigh the pros and cons. In my case, I administer tick medication during tick season and worm when I see actual worms. He has premium kibble as a side food during emergency but that's it.

Talk to your Boarding Kennels - mostly they havent changed the system because they don't know and havent bothered learning more.... If everyone starts to query and even copy the Statements of Dogs Vic and Govt Websites then perhaps the boarding industry will start to take notice and this will filter through.

We use the new system in our kennels and have done for the last two years.... I keep telling clients to query their vets and now some of the vets are starting to change their recommendation. Sometimes you have to force their hand to change. Same with the obedience clubs who are too lazy to keep up to date.... push it...... they will change.

Hopefully then we won't be vaccinating dogs just for convenience.

My reading of the government code of practice for boarding kennels is that annual vaccination is still required:

"5.2 Vaccination and health care

For dogs, pre-vaccination against distemper, hepatitis, kennel cough (parainfluenza (Type II) virus and Bordetella bronchiseptica) and parvovirus is required. A current vaccination certificate ( ie certifying that vaccination was done within the preceding 12 months and that the "due date" for the next vaccination has not been passed) must be produced for each dog before admission. Checking for heartworm infection should be recommended prior to admission.

For cats, pre-vaccination against feline infectious enteritis and feline respiratory disease is required. A current vaccination certificate ( ie certifying that vaccination was done within the preceding 12 months and that the "due date" for the next vaccination has not been passed) must be produced for each cat before admission."

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/about-pets/legislation-and-regulation/domestic-animal-businesses/operation-of-boarding-establishments

If that is not requiring every 12 months I don't know what is. All the kennels I know of still require annual vaccinations, as that is what the government regulations require. This is what is current today. If government has changed policy, they have not been notified. They are required to have copies on file and during inspections they must be available for inspection. I would not blame any of them for refusing to take dogs without an annual vaccation.

The dog training centre one has the same requiremnts:

"3.2 Vaccination and health care

For dogs, pre-vaccination against distemper, hepatitis and parvovirus is required. A current vaccination certificate ( ie certifying that vaccination was done within the preceding 12 months and that the "due date" for the next vaccination has not passed) must be produced for each dog before admission. Vaccination against canine cough and checking for heartworm infection should be recommended prior to admission."

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/about-pets/legislation-and-regulation/domestic-animal-businesses/operation-of-dog-training-establishments

Dog Training Centres in Victoria and Boarding Kennels, MUST by law follow the code of practise and can be shut down for not doing so. I don't know anyone who could say that these do not require a vaccination in the last 12 months and I for one would not be operating any such establishment without requiring annual vaccination. I might not agree with it, but I also don't believe in breaking the law just because I disagree with something.

We board dogs all the time due to moving with Defence and I have never encountered a boarding kennel that doesn't accept the 3 year vaccine (which is what we choose to do). I have used kennels in Brisbane, Townsville, Canberra and in the UK and they have all accepted it without any questions. The C3 is the three year vaccination (parvo, distemper and hepatitis) - all the kennels we have used have required the kennel cough to have been done within the last 12 months. Maybe the government codes have not been updated since the three year vaccination became available?

I guess it is easy to blame vaccinations for a myriad of problems but they no doubt save countless lives too. People tend to get complacent as more and more people take up vaccination schedules and we see less and less of the tragic consequences of the results of the disease. For example, the medical profession has said that the silver lining to the current measles outbreak in Wales is reminding people of just how awful the consequences of the disease can be. Immunisation rates dropped off due to a scare linking the MMR vaccination to autism and (from memory) bowel disease (later proven to be untrue). No doubt if people stopped vaccinating for parvo we would see a similar scenario. Titres are a good baseline but as someone who works in pathology, they are not fool proof.

Everyone has the right to make their own decisions regarding vaccination of their pets - I would just say do your homework first and research both sides of the argument and look at the scientific facts.

We most definitely need to vaccinate our dogs, there's no argument there, it's the frequency that's under debate. :)

Well actually no, we don't, not beyond the initial puppy vaccs.

Edited by minimax