Retractable Leads - A Menace ?

DakotaJ

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate them. Probably because we came across a JRT that was not under control and was just free to come up and get my dog and I tangled in the cord...was not a fun experience. Didn't get any cuts but it wasn't exactly enjoyable trying not to step on this yapping jumping little rat of a thing while trying to hold onto my dog who was attempting to remove himself from the situation :p

Ditto on the people saying that they always seem to take it as a license to be in la-la land??

Edited by Scootaloo

I was buying food at my local big feed supply place and was amused to watch a medium-sized dog at the the end of his flexi-lead investigating the treats display while his oblivious owner chatted to the register attendant. Not quite so dangerous as some of the instances mentioned, although if a reactive dog had come in at that point there could have been total mayhem. Or if it had been a garbage guts dog and ate a plastic-wrapped treat that then got stuck, or the guy with a tiny Yorkie pup at the other end of the store had come to the register right then, or...

I have one of the original weight rated flexi leads. There certainly are a lot of badly made ones around now.

Agree when used properly in a controlled manner they can be useful. I was taught to actively use the 'brake' and to NEVER let it run all the way to the end - always apply the brake first (and control the dogs speed so it doesnt hit the end etc).

I also agree though that these leads are basically designed to teach a dog to pull!! And in that respect I generally always recommend against them, particularly if someone is trying to work on teaching their dog not to pull on the lead. Funnily enough when I put the lead on one of my dogs in particular, she has the no pulling thing so ingrained that just stands there and won't go anywhere unless I feed out the line :laugh:

We had this discussion not long ago. I've seen them snap so have never been a fan of them unless they are used on small dogs who don't have a lot of pull/strength. Some people do use them very successfully but I personally feel better with a strong harness and leash combo on all my dogs (one of who pulls to run back to the car or house while the other pulls forward to get the show on the road quicker). I like the idea of having a strong hold on a leash and of being able to pull on the slack if I need to rather than zipping a cord in and out.

I suspect some people choose their retractable leashes based on prettiness and price rather than appropriateness for their specific dog. I see lots of little kids walking dogs on retractables too.

50kg breaking strain seems like a lot, but this means it could hold 50kg of dog - standing still. What happens when the dog running at 20km/h gets to the end? 20km/h is 5m/s = 25* dog weight breaking strain is what you need if you stop the dog inside 1m.

And that would be why these things snap with 10kg dogs running to the end of them.

Personally I've been burnt and had welts from the things wrapping around my fingers and leg trying to keep the dog with the retractable lead from tangling mine.

Now I just stay well away from dogs I don't know with these.

I had a 50kg breaking strain one. My 27kg greyhound spotted a rabbit one day, and that was the end of that leash.

I'm also in the 'can't stand them' camp (now, at least!). Went to an inner suburb pet expo the other week and almost all of the little dogs were on retractable leads. I lost count of how many I tripped over, or got tangled in my legs.

A little bit off topic, but I saw the funniest thing yesterday. I was gardening in the front garden and two young men were walking a dog on a long long lead - not a retractable, just a very long lead, probably 8-10 metres long. The men were in the middle of the road and naturally, the dog was all over the road and the footpaths and having a wonderful time.

As the dog passed my front fence, he came up onto the footpath while the men kept walking on the road and between the dog and the men was a light pole - LOL. I watched with interest to see what was going to happen. The men were now level with the dog and the lead was against the light pole making a sort of triangle if you can visualise it. One of the men gave a jerk of his head at the dog, the dog turned, raced back around the light pole, out onto the road to join the men, and they all continued happily on their ways without a break in stride. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Although I am not in favour of these long leads and retractables, I was impressed at this show of training/understanding.

I bought a very expensive one many moons ago that I used when travelling to toilet the Dobes. They were very well trained didn't bolt or pull and I used them very successfully.

I used it a few time when I first took Rommi to the beach as a young pu, with no-one else around and to make sure she couldn't get away from me. HAven't used it since then though.

USed wisely they are very handy, used unwisely - well yeh we know. Same as idiots with anything really.

Hate the bloody things. Walk around a corner and there is a dog coming at us 10 metres in front of its owner who has no control over it.

They are not a 'tool', they are a piece of equipment for lazy people who can't and won't train their dogs appropriately.

One of the worst things I have seen was a small, terrified terrier type running out into traffic - owner had dropped the retractable lead and it wasn't locked. It shot along the concrete pavement clattering loudly, straight towards the dog. It sent the dog into a blind panic and she could not catch him,it was semi- catching on clumps of grass/stumps beside the footpath and unwinding and then releasing and "chasing" him again, he was incredibly lucky not to be hit and only stopped when it caught in a tree stump and jerked him backwards off his feet at the lead's full extension. I had stopped to try and help, the dog was traumatised and the owner more so. I had only used one a couple of times but I swapped to long lines for the rare instances I need a longer lead after seeing this,but would only use one where the dogs can't get tangled with other dogs or people and never near roads/anywhere built up.

Coogie :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That is the story that everyone who wants to purchase a retractable should be told.

That poor little dog. I'm glad the owner was traumatised as well and hopefully got some sense after that. How can people NOT think something like using one of those things through? :mad

Our flexi leads are a must have for our Siberians. Only the best quality of course - would never trust a cheapie, and only the strongest.

I use them for all pee breaks when travelling and camping, and for general exercise to let them stretch their legs when an enclosed leash free area is not available.

I will also use them in the park - and I'm always aware of other people and dogs around us. Dogs are brought in and kept on a short leash when others approach.

It's fantastic for people to say they hate them, they shouldn't be used, teaches a dog to pull etc. But when you have a breed which can't be trusted off leash but needs the ability to stretch their legs, good quality tools such as a flexi lead are a godsend. Oh and I don't need anything to teach my dog to pull - hardwired into their genes, and then cemented with training :laugh:

I bought a very expensive one many moons ago that I used when travelling to toilet the Dobes. They were very well trained didn't bolt or pull and I used them very successfully.

I used it a few time when I first took Rommi to the beach as a young pu, with no-one else around and to make sure she couldn't get away from me. HAven't used it since then though.

USed wisely they are very handy, used unwisely - well yeh we know. Same as idiots with anything really.

Totally agree :thumbsup:

This is a natural reaction for dogs. The best practice is to release them from the lead and release is going to be associated with the play not an attack mode. In order to avoid the "attack mode" best option is to teach to hill (or stay with me command) and practice often and not to pull back on the lead, because it may trigger the wrong response

in the dog.

I have said it before I loathe them. As sas said seeing a dog come towards us 10 metres in front of it's owner (who quite often are texting away on their phone paying zero attention) is the last thing I need with sighthounds, especially one with a very high prey drive! I understand those experienced dog owners here that can use them properly but unfortunately none of you live in my suburb.