Is The Poodle Not A Gun Dog ?

Pjrt

If you look at the history of most of the dogs thrown into Gr 7 (Non sporting dogs) most had significant history in their origins such as the British Bulldog - bull baiting, tibetan Terriers were herding dogs, Great Danes hunters of wild boar and deer. We often feel like the left overs on a plate after a meal, as many of the dogs in this group do indeed belong in other groups, and it is by far the hardest group to judge with the variety of breeds and differences etc.How can you possibly compare a tiny toy poodle to a great Dane or Sharpei, or a Lhaso Apso to a Dalmation.

For those not familiar here is list of those dogs who are currently placed in Grp 7 at shows in Australia.

Tibetan Spaniels have confusing classification. Here in Australia, they're in the Toy Group. But in the USA they're in the Non-sporting group. If you look at all the winners at Westminster, there's Tenzin BOB Tibbie listed with the non-sporting.

I have no idea the history of such a weirdness.

I'm only guessing that Tibetan Spaniels would have been developed as companion dogs? Toy Spaniels. Possibly serving as ornate little doorbells on temple steps? I would put them in the toy group, but I would prefer to see a 'Companion Dog' group developed.

Off to look up the history of Tibbies.....

Alun, Tibetan Spaniels were registered as a breed with the American & the UK Kennels Clubs first. And they were classed in Non-sporting.... and still are. Somehow, in Australia, the breed has been placed in the Toy Group.

Tibbies can be great little hunters (don't laugh! :) ). They've got hare feet like the sight hounds & can run like the wind.

One US Tibbie breeder said he takes his bunch of Tibbies out hunting hares. More modestly, another US Tibbie breeder said she never has to own a cat to keep the mice down on her farm. Another US Tibbie owner, who works in air crash disaster rescue, has a pair of trained Tibs that he takes to practices .... & he used to be laughed at. Until he showed how his small, sure-footed little dogs can go deep into wreckage. Further in & more safely than bigger dogs.

Speaking only for myself, I'd rather see Tibbies in the Non-sporting, rather than Toy.

Alun, Tibetan Spaniels were registered as a breed with the American & the UK Kennels Clubs first. And they were classed in Non-sporting.... and still are. Somehow, in Australia, the breed has been placed in the Toy Group.

Tibbies can be great little hunters (don't laugh! :) ). They've got hare feet like the sight hounds & can run like the wind.

One US Tibbie breeder said he takes his bunch of Tibbies out hunting hares. More modestly, another US Tibbie breeder said she never has to own a cat to keep the mice down on her farm. Another US Tibbie owner, who works in air crash disaster rescue, has a pair of trained Tibs that he takes to practices .... & he used to be laughed at. Until he showed how his small, sure-footed little dogs can go deep into wreckage. Further in & more safely than bigger dogs.

Speaking only for myself, I'd rather see Tibbies in the Non-sporting, rather than Toy.

Thanks that is interesting. I don't doubt it as they are smart agile little cuties :)

Just to clarify there are the Tibetin Spaniels and the Tibetin Terriers.

The Tibetin spaniels are shown in Group 1 toys and the tibetin Terriers in Grp 7 Non sporting.Pics below show the Tibetin Spanial in first pic and the Terrier in 2nd pic.

post-34794-0-36060400-1364545860_thumb.png

post-34794-0-00695000-1364545880_thumb.png

We currently have a miniature poodle here in QLD that has just obtained its lure coursing title which is very difficult to obtain for any dog. This dog is also currently a top show dog and just competed at the Sydney Royal this week. Considering this sport was original set up for sight hounds, so goes to prove poodles can scent and sight with the best :thumbsup:

Just to clarify there are the Tibetin Spaniels and the Tibetin Terriers.

The Tibetin spaniels are shown in Group 1 toys and the tibetin Terriers in Grp 7 Non sporting.Pics below show the Tibetin Spanial in first pic and the Terrier in 2nd pic.

yeah I know the 2 breeds. If it were my choice Tib.Spans would be in a toy/companion group & the Tib.Terrier (which is a breed I really love!) would be grouped with terriers....

LOl there are so many dogs with names that don't seem to fit the group they are in, and others that don't seem to function for the group they are. Much confusion!

We currently have a miniature poodle here in QLD that has just obtained its lure coursing title which is very difficult to obtain for any dog. This dog is also currently a top show dog and just competed at the Sydney Royal this week. Considering this sport was original set up for sight hounds, so goes to prove poodles can scent and sight with the best :thumbsup:

Who is that Zeebie?....

Who is that Zeebie?....

The ever gorgeous 'Alice' Aus Ch Jenuin Alice in wonderland :thumbsup: under 2yrs and took out 1st place for lure coursing 2012, field champion title,Lure courser of merit title & certificate (highest attainable title),as well as 2 trophies for show & field & endurance lure course trophy.

The Group 3 classification that gets ne is that American cocker spaniels ARE considered gun dogs. Sure, old time clockers were used as gun dogs, but I doubt that anyone uses the derived breed for hunting. I'd love to hear about it if I'm wrong. When I see those little guys trotting around the ring with their hair brushed out so it sweeps the ground, I can't help thinking what a mess of burrs they'd become if anyone took them into the field.