Flyball Height Restriction?

mixeduppup

She was getting a team together, I was the first person she asked. I think most of the other people she knew only had larger dogs so perhaps she was after a height dog. Who knows.

So she didn't actually say your Kelpie was too big to do flyball? Just too big for the dog she was looking for for her team?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She was getting a team together, I was the first person she asked. I think most of the other people she knew only had larger dogs so perhaps she was after a height dog. Who knows.

So she didn't actually say your Kelpie was too big to do flyball? Just too big for the dog she was looking for for her team?

No she said she was too big. I didn't ask for all flyball teams. I just assumed.

No she said she was too big. I didn't ask for all flyball teams. I just assumed.

So the person seeking to start a flyball club in your area isn't necessarily the misiformed person with no understanding of the sport you made her out to be?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

So the person seeking to start a flyball club in your area isn't necessarily the misiformed person with no understanding of the sport you made her out to be?

I simply asked a question. I wasn't making anyone out to be misinformed.

Edited by mixeduppup

However, it IS what you accomplished. :shrug:

I never meant to make anyone out to be misinformed, I simply asked a question as I rarely have contact with this lady and thought it would be quicker to ask here than wonder for a few weeks.

I've never heard of flyball and I looked up today this:

"The height of the jump is 5 inch lower than the shoulder height of the smallest dog on the team, min 7 inch from the ground"

I guess that's why she only wants small dogs, but if it was a training camp she is setting up then I don't see why she would only restrict the height to small dogs

Flyball looks fun.

Depends if she was setting up a club as per the opening post or getting a team together as per one of the later ones.

Sounds like she was looking for a height dog for a team and was misunderstood.

I never meant to make anyone out to be misinformed, I simply asked a question as I rarely have contact with this lady and thought it would be quicker to ask here than wonder for a few weeks.

OK, so the person you say is starting a flyball club in your area never actually said the exact words "your dog is too big to do flyball"?

No doubt people will conclude that me hammering you about this is because I'm a bitch. That's one possible explanation that will no doubt have my detractors nodding but the other is that people need to be careful attributing comments to others that they haven't ACTUALLY made. The dog world is a small one. It won't be too hard for people to figure out who is trying to get flyball started in your area, and in this case, potentially think that person is a bit of a fool (as others in this thread have already concluded). It's hardly likely to endear you to the person you've dropped into this.

So, if you want to know the answer to something, simply ask the question. People get misquoted in a dog training context all the time and it's not fun. As you are student vet nurse I'll give you a piece of advice that you'd be very very wise to make your mantra. Never assume. If you don't have a crystal clear understanding of what is being said and what it means, clarify it. Goes for all walks of life actually.

MUP You are so patient and polite ALWAYS. :thumbsup: I admire you.

Thank you. I try to be, sometimes I can get a bit moody :laugh: but I don't like making people feel badly about themselves.

Oh if only all dolers followed the same principles. *sigh*

Edited by nawnim

OK, so the person you say is starting a flyball club in your area never actually said the exact words "your dog is too big to do flyball"?

No doubt people will conclude that me hammering you about this is because I'm a bitch. That's one possible explanation that will no doubt have my detractors nodding but the other is that people need to be careful attributing comments to others that they haven't ACTUALLY made. The dog world is a small one. It won't be too hard for people to figure out who is trying to get flyball started in your area, and in this case, potentially think that person is a bit of a fool (as others in this thread have already concluded). It's hardly likely to endear you to the person you've dropped into this.

So, if you want to know the answer to something, simply ask the question. People get misquoted in a dog training context all the time and it's not fun. As a student vet nurse I'll give you a piece of advice that you'd be very very wise to make your mantra. Never assume. If you don't have a crystal clear understanding of what is being said and what it means, clarify it. Goes for all walks of life actually.

That's a great bit of advice and I will take it. Apparently flyball isn't happening anymore int his area :( But I may see if Wagga has one going.

But I reiterate that I asked her and she said "No she's too big". Then we had a long chat about flyball and she didn't mention anything about the size again and I just assumed but then i watched a video and got confused as the dogs were bigger than JRTs and since i wasn't seeing her for a few weeks I thought i would ask here.

Edited by mixeduppup

That's a great bit of advice and I will take it. Apparently flyball isn't happening anymore int his area :( But I may see if Wagga has one going.

But I reiterate that I asked her and she said "No she's too big". Then we had a long chat about flyball and she didn't mention anything about the size again and I just assumed but then i watched a video and got confused as the dogs were bigger than JRTs and since i wasn't seeing her for a few weeks I thought i would ask here.

Do the old active listening trick - reflect the question back. You'd say "are you saying my dog is too big to do flyball?' or "are you saying I need to check Muffy every 5 minutes"?

Let me give you an example of possible consequences of people attributing comments/behaviour to you that you haven't made.

Some 20 years ago, I was appointed to a team charged with the investigation of sexual assault and harassment at the Australian Defence Force Academy. A fellow officer told a group of young female Academy cadets (without my knowledge or consent) that if they'd been assaulted, they should contact me as I'd be able to help them. One of those cadets took that statement and intepreted it as me insisting I be contacted and repeated it to others. At this point, I knew nothing of the referral or the conversation about me.

Next thing I know, I'm summoned to my (very senior) boss's office. I'm told that he's had a phone call from the Commandant of the Academy (even more senior)who's had a complaint from a female cadet that I've been ringing their accommodation and harassing them to report incidents of sexual assault. My boss has had to peel that very senior officer off the wall. I'm sure people can grasp the gravity of those allegations in terms of my career.

My abject denial of any such conduct ( still recall my words "utter rubbish") was fed back and the female cadet who made the allegation questioned. "Oh no" she said "LCDR HW never actually rang ME, but I heard she'd done it to others".

So readers, be careful about what you say others have said... because it can have consequences beyond what you can imagine.

Good point. I did actually ask her that but she didn't hear me so I just let it go as she knows her stuff and I was interested in learning more. I should have clarified. She must have just meant for the team she was getting together. Sadly the team is no longer going ahead though which i'm really bummed about

Good point. I did actually ask her that but she didn't hear me so I just let it go as she knows her stuff and I was interested in learning more. I should have clarified. She must have just meant for the team she was getting together. Sadly the team is no longer going ahead though which i'm really bummed about

Never let a vet fob you off like that... and Im sure you wouldn't.

The workplace is very different, it's all about active listening and asking. I like to double check everything. That should flow into my daily life as well where I'm much less of an active listener. Thanks again. :)

The workplace is very different, it's all about active listening and asking. I like to double check everything. That should flow into my daily life as well where I'm much less of an active listener. Thanks again. :)

Never forget what a small world dogs sports is... everyone pretty much knows everyone, particularly in a region. Social media just makes people known more widely (for better or worse :D)