Weightpull

The AMCNSW have announced the next event for NSW:

Date - Saturday, 6 July 2013

Time - 3pm

Location - Castle Hill Show Grounds

Price - $10 for members, $12 for non members

And also a FREE training day :thumbsup:

The AMCNSW is holding a Weight Pull Training Day which will be run by the one & only Kieran Sadler!

Kieran has many years experience and knowledge in this sport including training a dog to pull 1200kgs successfully, which is a record!

He will run you through the basics of weight pull, give you tips and answer any questions you may have. Harnesses & tyres will be provided as well as an information brochure for you to keep.

The details are as follows:

Date: Saturday, 29 June 2013

Time: 9am

Venue: Bill Spillstead Complex; 44 Luddenham Road, Erskine Park (German Shepherd Oval)

Entry fee: FREE!

More info on the FB page linky

I took my dog to the last event... as predicted he was in a perfect 'drop' position and just woo wooed at us :) He did pull the cart by itself after about 51 seconds I think it was. Second round with some weight added he was like nup I'm not going anywhere! :laugh: oh well I still love him, even if he is a dud at both sledding and weightpull!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of giving weightpull a go - where can I get a harness for a small dog in Aus/NZ? Would prefer to avoid paying for shipping from the USA!

What sort of training can I do to prepare her? She does sledding already... We have a weightpull trial coming up in September that I would like to enter her in.

Windchill do them custom sized. They made the one for my friends Newfoundland.

You just have to measure ( and make sure you're accurate and sober when you measure or you'll have to do it again)

You could get her used to dragging a small weight behind her - you could use your sledding harness and a milk carton- something that won't hurt her back and train her to pull to you on command.

Not the best to dish out advice since we totally bombed our last comp and not sure if we'll compete again this year

• 2 weeks later...

We've found a harness in Elsie's size that we can borrow, and we're attending our first training day this weekend! First trial on the 13th of July :thumbsup:

(we have WAY too many harnesses now... Tracking, weightpull, sledding, flyball, walking...)

Edited by DiscoDobe

:laugh:

I have too many and that's just racing :o

Do you have any trouble with elsie knowing the difference between tracking and sledding?

Not at all, the environment is just SO different. Getting ready for a sled race there are hoards of wailing huskies, she gets a quick jog around to warm up watching the other dogs get harnessed up, it's so noisy and exciting... A strange person grabs her by the harness and holds her at the start line... there is a count down... I'm behind her on some wheeled device... 3... 2... 1... (deafened by her barking)... GOOOOO!!!!

Compared to a tracking trial, she gets out of the car (almost) calmly, the only dog on the mountain with me, the track layer and the judge... It's quiet, no hyping the dog up, just calmly walk together out into an empty piece of land towards the start peg, a quick nod to the judge... give a quiet cue to track, and off we go...

Had a go at weightpulling today with Elsie - she loved it! Was screaming her head off whenever anyone else was having a go LOL she was trying so hard to get back to the weight pull trolley, I had to pick her up and hold her (much to her embarrassment). She managed to pull 175kg (including weight of trolley) today - pretty good for her first go I thought! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not bad at all - much more than esky pulled on her last try.

Your girl doesn't weigh that much does she.

Her weight to weight ratio would have been pretty impressive

13.3kg :)

My boy would'nt even pull an empty weight pull cart when he first started, he just sat down all the time and refused to move a muscle..lol But a bit of persistance paid off and he went on to become the AmStaff breed record holder "in" S.A.

Pictured below is him setting a new breed record of "1,330" Kg at S.A.C.A Park,...Power To Weight Ratio of # 40 .

He was unbeaten by ANY breed 3 years running for heaviest weight pulled at the SASDC when he weighed 33/34 Kg and he was often competing against Alaskan Malamutes weighing up to 70kg.

He also went on to take out Heaviest Weight Pulled at the first Competition held at the Adelaide Royal Show against top local and interstate competition.

Not bad for a little Staffy who first refused to pull an empty cart..lol

Just goes to show how persistance pay's off !!

post-13626-0-79138400-1374143874_thumb.jpg

My boy would'nt even pull an empty weight pull cart when he first started, he just sat down all the time and refused to move a muscle..lol But a bit of persistance paid off and he went on to become the AmStaff breed record holder "in" S.A.

Pictured below is him setting a new breed record of "1,330" Kg at S.A.C.A Park,...Power To Weight Ratio of # 40 .

He was unbeaten by ANY breed 3 years running for heaviest weight pulled at the SASDC when he weighed 33/34 Kg and he was often competing against Alaskan Malamutes weighing up to 70kg.

He also went on to take out Heaviest Weight Pulled at the first Competition held at the Adelaide Royal Show against top local and interstate competition.

Not bad for a little Staffy who first refused to pull an empty cart..lol

Just goes to show how persistance pay's off !!

Awesome!! Pretty good record, he could give a lot of dogs over here a run for their money!

Top records here at the moment are

Power to weight ratio: 44.47, a Sibe that pulled 1223.00

Top weight: 1708.00 by two different Alaskan Mals

• 2 weeks later...

Far out! Makes the amounts pulled here at the moment seem meager

The problem is we cant compare one clubs cart to another clubs cart, and one clubs surface to another clubs surface. Even though they might be both artificial surfaces they cannot ever be the same. Back some years ago at the SASDC we would only be pulling a top weight of 3-4 Hundred Kilo "max" with their old cart on the old surface, the very next weekend down at SACA using the SHAM equiptment we would be pulling 12-13hundred Kilo. Just goes to show we cant compare one clubs results to another.

• 10 months later...

Had our first go back at weightpull since this time last year - Elsie has certainly not forgotten how it all works!

We train at the same place that we do sledding, so the surface is a gravel road... Elsie pulled 200kg today including the cart - a new personal best!