How To Stop Flys Biting Dogs

Hi,

I was outside yesterday day with my dogs and noticed lots of flies on the my dogs. I didnt take much notice as the flies looked like ordinary house flies. Later in the day I noticed my old girl was really being bothered by them and when I took a closer look the tops of her ears were bleeding and I also found lots of droplets of blood on other parts of her body. When the flies come back they were attracted to the bloody bits. Ive never had this problem before and didnt think these ordinary house flies bite/sting, but I watched them gather on her nose, as it was the only area I didnt spray, and after I shooed them away there was tiny little blood droplets on her nose.

I grabbed some low irritant aerodguard and sprayed it over her and it did help, but noticed they were bothering her again today.

I dont really want to be putting aeroguard on the dogs and wanted to know if there is anything else that works effectively at keeping them away.

Thanks

Mel

I have noticed alot here too this year, and big ones that bloody hurt, i had bites on my ankles the other day .

I went and got some dog fly repellant, think it was the Troy one, and i sprayed all the dog beds aswell as the dogs and it works, i do it most days and the flies have almost gone.

Another good thing is Septicide cream, which is soothing and antiseptic for when they have already been bitten, yet still repellent so keeps the flies off. If their ears are white though the yellow colour of the cream can stain them.

I use a horse product called Swift. Lasts about 8 weeks. 10 ml in a syringe without the needle * apply 1 or 2 drops to each ear & the rest down their topline from the back of the neck like you would a spot on treatment & it lasts up to 8 weeks. Has to be reapplied if the dog is out in the rain. Cost is about $ 25.00 for a small bottle from a produce store. Advantix is also very good for fleia & all the other nasties it gets rid of.

Good luck

Greg