Animal Welfare To Monitor Farms With Drone

mixeduppup

"Farming bodies have criticised an animal welfare group's plan to use a drone to film farming practices on properties around Australia, with one saying the drone would be shot down.

Animal Liberation has purchased a surveillance drone equipped with a powerful camera.

The group says the drone can film from as low as 10 metres above the ground to gather potential evidence of animal abuse.

Spokesman Mark Pearson says the practice will not contravene trespass or privacy laws.

He says animal welfare is in the public interest.

"Farming practices, whether they be illegal or whether they be common farming practices which are to be put into question, such as mulesing and leaving animals without shelter in extreme temperatures, then that it in the public interest," he said.

"If there is public interest, then that is not an invasion, it is a service to the community.

"The High Court has already dealt with the issue of privacy.

"We're not interested in people's personal lives and what's happening in their homes, but if you have a business which uses animals then that is of public interest, and that's been dealt with by the High Court."

Rest of the story http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-31/animal-welfare-group-to-monitor-farms-with-drone/4602644

I've worked on stations and farms and have to say that I don't see drones lasting long. Farmers aren't going to take to being spied on very well.

Edited by mixeduppup

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interested in this: Spokesman Mark Pearson says the practice will not contravene trespass or privacy laws.

And they say the high court has dealt with the privacy issue. I'm not sure how it's NOT a privacy issue, unless they are notifying the people first when their places will be looked at. And who will be monitoring to ensure they are unable to see into peoples houses or private lives? If someone is enjoying themselves in the privacy of their yard and a drone flies over, how is that not an invasion of privacy?

It sounds a bit over the top to me.

Too bad if the animals (eg horses) freak out at the bizarre sight and sound and kill themselves on the nearest fence.

I know of a horse that broke its back trying to get away from a hot air balloon and my dog hates large flying things overhead - from crows, kites and model airplanes - tho she's better with the planes these days. Gets a lot of practice at a safe distance from a glider club. But 10m would be way too close for her to contain herself.

Google earth doesthe same thing and that isn't an invasion of privacy and is legal.

They don't go to 10 meters, they are much higher. Nor are they gathering evidence on specific people, they gather data for general use. And they get rid of identifying details, whereas these people are going to rely on identifying details. It's completely different to google maps.

Edited by minimax

Wouldn't farmers just shoot them down? Surely they would be within their rights to do so if it was interfering with their stock? Ten metres is ridiculously close and could easily spook stock and cause massive damage.I've only ever seen one in a demo and it was quite noisy.

Hilarious. Pimply faced extremists now have a drone to play warfare in the middle east? Way too many gamers involved with animal lib these days. I hope the farmers pull out a BFG and blow it out of the sky.

"Drone?

What ? A giant Bee, you say?

well, now you realise I don't hear so good ; I saw a shadow, and I thought I was being attacked by something weird, and I had the shotgun handy !!

Can you stick it back together?

Yes, I know the little back bits fell in the sullage pit ....but they float, don't they?

Maybe play with your models on an oval somewhere in future!!!"

"Drone?

What ? A giant Bee, you say?

well, now you realise I don't hear so good ; I saw a shadow, and I thought I was being attacked by something weird, and I had the shotgun handy !!

Can you stick it back together?

Yes, I know the little back bits fell in the sullage pit ....but they float, don't they?

Maybe play with your models on an oval somewhere in future!!!"

:rofl: yep, that's my uncle - my cousin would modify it to help with stock monitoring for himself, being a modern country lad!

Why would they care so much if they aren't doing anything wrong?

Something with a camera filming you, and your property clearly and closely is a pretty invasive procedure ..unless you happen to be on Reality TV .

I would NOT be impressed.

Why would they care so much if they aren't doing anything wrong?

gee I dont know. If you sunbake in the nude in your backyard you arent doing anything wrong but would you appreciate some unauthorised moron taking a photo via a drone ?

No, I understand the privacy issue, but it is a business, so I don't think it's the same as someone filming a private home.

Who are these animal rights loonies who think they can play Big Brother. If its true they have bought a drone to spy on and terrorise people this is just getting freaking ridiculous

No, I understand the privacy issue, but it is a business, so I don't think it's the same as someone filming a private home.

Who are these animal rights loonies who think they can play Big Brother. If its true they have bought a drone to spy on and terrorise people this is just getting freaking ridiculous

I agree it's a bit over the top raz.

But.... if they do uncover some really dodgy practices, that has to be a good thing.

I agree it's a bit over the top raz.

But.... if they do uncover some really dodgy practices, that has to be a good thing.

I disagree Aussie. We have authorised departments for this sort of thing. The wannabee vigilantes can piss off with their pretend warfare