Another Lens Question...

betsy

Hi. I have a Canon 60D and currently have a kit lens (18-55) and a 50mm 1.8. I mainly use the 50mm lens.

I have just completed my first face to face camera course, and am now thinking about a new lens. At the moment I'm thinking of getting the 70-200mm lens - for dog sport photos and maybe some landscapes. What I cannot work out is whether to get the f/4 or splurge on the f/2.8, and do I need the IS version (ie should I get the F/4 IS or f/2.8 without IS which is around where my budget is).

Next question - any good online stores that people can recommend?

Edited by betsy

Hi, Its a good question and a hard one to answer. I have the 70-200 f/4 non IS. Mainly due to not having enough Money to get the 2.8 but so far I have been very pleased with it and it has served me well!

Think about the kind of light you will be shooting in mostly, if it is low light and evenings the 2.8 might be a better option?

I got mine at DWI I have got 3 lenses from them so far with no problems.

There is a few of us here that have the 70-200 so hopefully a few will be in to give their opinions too!

A couple of photos from mine for good measure!

file_zpsf9548984.jpg

file-684.jpg

It makes a beautiful portrait lens

file-1474.jpg

file_zpsd5666849.jpg

file_zpsd3fdc17d.jpg

I love this one but it is a tiny bit out of focus!

file_zpsb1cd4927.jpg

Whoops meant to add, if you really need the 2.8 maybe consider the Sigma version, it is a lot cheaper than the Canon and I have two photographer friends that have it and love it.

Thanks for the replies so far - it is helpful to hear from others. Will do a bit more online research, but the f/4 looking the goods so far for my purposes, and bonus if it is a bit lighter too.

• 2 weeks later...