How To Use A Flirt Pole Properly?

It really depends what you want to achieve, the flirt pole can be used as simply as spinning around, this is great fun and great physical and mental exercise for your dog.

It can be a lot more than that as well, it can be used to develop drive in your dog which can be a powerful motivator.

If you want to take to that level, one common mistake people use is to move and spin to get their dog into drive. The dog ends up chasing a flying and bouncing object.

That can make things tricky later on, a really great way to use the flirt pole is to allow the flirt to fall on the ground and remain still. Encourage your dog to get it and when your dog moves toward the flirt, then jerk it away.

What you will be doing is teaching your dog to generate a reaction in the prey rather than the prey generating a reaction in your dog.

This has huge benefits over a dog that is reacting to movement (for obvious reasons).

Try always play on level soft surfaces such as grass or sand, concrete, pavers, tiles etc are all dangerous.

You also should run this in repetitions rather than constant chasing.

So a game may have 5 or so 30 second repetitions and always finish before your dog is fatigued and you will get a stronger game each time you play!

Both Sonny & Stella love their Flirt Poles :thumbsup: Although I am not the best with it either :o I just leave it on the ground then as soon as they go to get it, it moves.

I find it really makes them both mentally & physically very tired, quite quickly. I normally just use them on the back lawn. You really don't

need a lot of space to have a game with them. I play one on one & both together without any trouble. A must have toy IMHO :thumbsup:

Edited by BC Crazy

Definitely a must have!

I must look like such an idiot when I use mine. (Actually when I'm with my dogs in general :o ) jumping around like a lunatic and making strange noises, it's all great fun! Though the amount of times I've smacked myself in the head/ face with dog toys is a bit embarrassing...... :o :D

Definitely a must have!

I must look like such an idiot when I use mine. (Actually when I'm with my dogs in general :o ) jumping around like a lunatic and making strange noises, it's all great fun! Though the amount of times I've smacked myself in the head/ face with dog toys is a bit embarrassing...... :o :D

:rofl: Smacked yourself in the head :laugh: + 1. Yep..... Me too :o I have taken many a tumble & wacked myself around. I'm very unco at the best of times.

I know I look like a complete luni as well but how much fun is it !!!! I am sure my neighbours think I am absolutely crazy as well. They here me talking to my guys like I do.

"hello honey", god your beautiful, blah, blah ,blah. :laugh: Does it sound like I care. Not :laugh:

I've used a flirt pole once or twice but never seriously. However, I currently have a dog that I would love to teach how to 'control' its natural prey drive a bit more and was wondering if I could utelise a flirt pole for that purpose?

Ideally the flirt pole is great for establishing drive, then you take it to using a tug and you can then reinforce behaviours etc. this is then training in drive which is a whole concept.

If you play with the flirt pole then your dog can channel or let's call it "spend" it's prey drive that way.

You will get a more settled dog as you will be balancing out drive.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

Do you know if k9pro will be making these available again soon? Currently unavailable at that link.

Or should I contact someone else directly?

Thanks

Hi BCNut

We have a shipment on the way so they should be available again shortly, alternatively we do have our prey drive on a stick flirt pole available;

http://www.k9pro.com.au/products/Prey-Drive-on-a-stick.html

As well leather bite rags;

http://www.k9pro.com.au/products/Leather-Bite-Rag.html

If you'd like to be notified when flirt poles will be back in stock just shoot an email to [email protected] and I'll let you know when they arrive :)

Awesome thanks! - Order is in :)

Do you know if the lure thingy can be changed later if it gets mangled?

Awesome it will be shipped ASAP :)

Unfortunately it isn't detachable so it can't be replaced. Depending on what you want to use it for, as Steve mentioned earlier in the thread it is great to use to build/establish drive and then upgrade to a tug once the dog is confident with how the game works.