Is This A Scam?

jipsi01

I just love how the url for the government scam watch is

www.fido.gov.au

which sends you to here

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/scams/avoiding-scams/tricks-used-in-scams

That page has a place to report scams.

And this one too. Puppy scam specific page.

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/718448

Scams - don't just appeal to the greedy any more. There's a heap that try to get your charity money or guilt trip you or romance you. Anything you're willing to part with money for - someone will try to scam you for it.

There has been a lot of scam the scammer fun out there on the net, and a couple of people have been killed - trying to get back at the Nigerian scammers. Nigerian scammers - have really bad English. Their sentence construction is weird for starters. And their choice of words from dictionary translaters is often inappropriate and quite funny - if you're not sucked in. It's not the same as a "foreign accent" belonging to someone from non English speaking background living in an English speaking country.

So weird English by itself is not the sign of a scammer, but when it's part of a 20 point system including prices too good to be true and inconsistent information about what the puppies are and where they are...

PS here is the same email from 2007

http://www.fraudwatchers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12563

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jipsi01, there are come great Aussie Shepherd people out showing. My suggestion would be to go out to SACA this weekend if you can and watch them in the ring. If you like any, approach the handler and they will be more than happy to help. They are a really nice group that appear to help each other out. Glad they adopted mine as an honourary aussie. Never considered the breed before but would after being around them. Good luck with your search.

Poor English is always a sure giveaway that it is likely to be a scam.

Really?

And what about those like myself? Where English is their second language?

I happen to speak very good English, but I know a breeder that doesnt.

Yes, really. I didn't say it was the only indicator but it should ring alarm bells. I have heard this from police investigators when they issue warnings about online scams.

Okay so i did and this is what i got

Hi that will be great, but how soon will that be , as i told you

earlier our son's health is not the best,so have just now to about

Friday ok, really sorry about that really under a lot of pressure

right now and more so i and my wife are really busy people,Cindy is so

cool that any one could fall in love with her at first site, thanks

for understanding,

?????

Should i ask for his actual address??

Okay so i did and this is what i got

Hi that will be great, but how soon will that be , as i told you

earlier our son's health is not the best,so have just now to about

Friday ok, really sorry about that really under a lot of pressure

right now and more so i and my wife are really busy people,Cindy is so

cool that any one could fall in love with her at first site, thanks

for understanding,

?????

Should i ask for his actual address??

His name is connected to a lot of scam emails, I'd stop emailing and look elsewhere

His name is connected to a lot of scam emails, I'd stop emailing and look elsewhere

I did a search and that name comes up as a scammer in the film industry who speaks english pretty well and knows the industry. Seems like two different guys - nothing unusual there because its a pretty common name.

Edited by raz

It's always a scam. You can spot it easily because they are all similar and varied a bit. They'd ask so many questions about your lifestyle etc (overcompensating to convince you that they are genuine), the dog is free, is vet-checked / AKC (LOL) registered/vacc-ed / chipped / everything you could hope for. You just have to pay for transport and there is NO way you could come pick it up. Even if you live one block away from their supposed location, they'll say they have moved some 3000 miles away recently. I really hope more people would know this so they can revert back to the usual 'Nigerian prince' or 'heiress needing help to access million dollar funds' :D

I got an email from a scammer on carsales.com.au - so be careful. His name was Tyler Collins - and this wasn't for a puppy but 12k for a car. eek1.gifeek1.gif. eek1.gif Got very suspicious when he said he'd already left the country and the car was in a warehouse in Darwin and he'd ship to me for free to inspect. Wanted over 12k sent to a bank in Spain. I admit I had a bit of fun stringing him along for a couple of emails with 'You can't be too careful as there are so many scammers about' and how beaut the car was in Darwin as I used to live there and would get a friend to inspect it for me rofl1.gif Of course it was locked up in the shipping container and only he had the key (so how was it to be shipped?? rofl1.gif). He then sent me an ebay invoice 'for both our protection' - but of course it never appeared in my ebay account. I asked him to re-send to my ebay account but he said there was a problem with ebay and it was taking some time to come through and in the meantime I should send the money, rofl1.gif I was beside myself with laughter by this point.

Anyway I rapidly got bored after that and just let it go - never heard from him again. I reported it to Car Sales and they weren't at all interested. Ebay confirmed it was a fake invoice and hadn't originated with them. The Federal Police weren't overly interested.

But I recognise he was good! I could see how people fall for this stuff - the old adage applies - if it seems too good to be true then it probably is!

The OPs email is definitely a scam Report as Mrs R Bucket suggests and go to a reputable breeder where you can see the puppies and their parents. Good Luck!smile.gif

there are a few people who string the scammers along with extravagant stories of their own the post the entire thread.

The best ones I read were a disembodied head in someones basement who was desperate to send the money but needed his body to get the money out of the bank. At one point he died but the scammer kept trying to get money from him.

The other one was a guy who didnt pay for a macbook via the non ebay payment site he recommended. So the guy tracked him down and sent him a macbook worthy of the price paid.

LOL thanks Golden Girls, but he is DESPERATE to get the dog out of the house as his son has SUDDENLY developed allergies, and even Friday is too far away!!!

He emailed me again last night to say, someone else was interested in the dog and if i wanted her then I needed to organise it NOW!

I didnt reply.

Id reply "I have a friend in Griffith who has said he can pick the dog up today. He is in the police so totally dependable. What is your address?"

May as well have some fun and make him squirm.

Thats a great idea! I bet they won't reply after that one!

Id reply "I have a friend in Griffith who has said he can pick the dog up today. He is in the police so totally dependable. What is your address?"

May as well have some fun and make him squirm.

Love this idea... :thumbsup: :laugh: I bet the silence will be deafening...

Edited by BC Crazy

I agree with Ruby Blue

You have friends all over Australia willing to go check out the puppy for you... so where ever he says he is, you say you have a friend there who will pick up the puppy for you with the money... save on transport costs, because (sob) your last puppy died on the plane trip. Although that will give him ideas for scamming the next person.

But beware of actually meeting up, people get killed doing that. Especially if they go all the way to Africa to do it.

There are much better ways to get a puppy.

Given that he is probably overseas (any chance of posting the email headers in here - we can check or you can use http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/ to have a search )

then you have all the problems and costs with Quarantine.

string him along or just don't reply any more. But don't send any money.

ps if you search for "scam the scammers"

a report comes up of a dodgy Brisbane woman who scammed the Nigerians and some hapless wanna be car buyers out of $30K. She got done for defrauding the buyers. So the Nigerians are starting to hire local agents to help with their scams. It must be quite an enterprise - how to end poverty in Africa?

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket