Turn Offs For Dog Names.

RallyValley

Talk about terrible dog's names, it was two out of three for me.

Monty is registered as Mantassi Archiballs. The breeder was pissed off at being forced to register him (so I was told) and gave him that awful name in revenge. His original call name was Archie. I changed it to Monty because he is a true hairless, so therefore - the full Monty.

Tallulah is registered as Dooettes Runtie,(because she was the runt of the litter apparently), original call name Runty. That's just awful, and Tallulah suits her to a T - she is the prima donna of the three dog pack.

And then there is sweet gentle Effie with the big black hair and soulful eyes. She had been Effie for four years and I thought it suited her so I kept it. Her registered name is lovely too ... Belachi Midnight Magic. So, Effie for the hair and Midnight Magic for the eyes - perfect.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We picked up a wandering staffy dog once and he had a name tag. HIs name was Wedgie! I thought that was hilarious. Suited him.

I am trying to think of names for my next dog. Was thinking of naming it Random if its a boy. But I don't want to end up calling him Randy for short.

When I think of a name for a dog I think about how I will sound standing at the door yelling out "insert name". Alot get passed over after failing that test! :laugh:

When I think of a name for a dog I think about how I will sound standing at the door yelling out "insert name". Alot get passed over after failing that test! :laugh:

Yep,Like Trixie :laugh: Trix! Trix!

As my newest import is Swedish I'm thinking of the registered names of his first litter being Abba songs...

Be careful of smartmouths with the Abba connection. My tibbie, Annie, was imported from Sweden ... with the name P'zazz Golden Annie. She's been nicknamed 'Abba Face'. :)

I dislike.otherwise normal names with ridiculous spelling ( in any species)

Like Flyte, Tyger that kind of thing.

Don't want to have to.spell it out every time.

I don't like super common names, Mia/maya, bella, ruby, cooper, storm, diesel, dakota

I like names to be 'pet' ish that is to say if I was talking about my dog by name in conversation I wouldn't want people to assume it was a human.

Dogs Ive had an opinion in naming were Towser, Didge and Esky

Ahh yes when people change the spelling... For my domestic obedience class I used to fill in their graduation certificates while they played a game, until I was told off for spelling someone's "Ajaie" as "AJ" LOL

We pick names which do NOT sound like any commands we use ....apart from that, anything shortish and easy to say in a hurry , goes :).. Bitch, Oi , Miss Daisy , Leo, Indiana

and, YES! to this

Teach your dog to recall to a whistle - no shouting necessary :laugh:

I don't dislike anything and name my dogs what I like. I don't really care what other people think about the name.

This is me. Names often have a special meaning for me - and I have to live with them not anyone else!

Everyone assumes Ziggy is named for Ziggy Stardust. Their eyes start glazing over when I explain that no, it's for Siegfried from Wagner's Ring Cycle. The opera. I can't hep if if Mr TSD is a classical music nerd :laugh:

Em's mum is Rosie. Registered name "Cider Wi Rosie", named after a novel. Rosie's puppies are named after characters from novels and follow a theme. Em's litter was the Brontë sisters. Em's registered name is "Cathy Earnshaw" (from Wuthering Heights).....the crazy one I suspect :laugh: I really wanted to call her "Cat" but Mr TSD declared that was too ironic, even for us. In the end, we ended up with Em for Emily Brontë who wrote Wuthering Heights (one of my favourite novels by the way). Oddly enough one of my cats is my darling Miss Brontë so it was a really fun fit for us.

I love naming my foster kittens......we had the Jane Austen litter, Seven and her 7 Deadly Sins, The Jazz Quartet (Mum Ella with Billie, Louis, Duke and my very own foster failure, Dizzy) amongst others.

I named a champagne coloured rescue poodle pup Moet once... and no-one enquiring about her could pronounce it... somehow I don't think many of them had ever drunk it either... lol!

How did they pronounce it?

I'm not a fan of the obvious or descriptive names - Fluffy, Blackie, etc.

We have a cat called Fluffy. I think most kids have had a Fluffy. Our Fluffy is short haired and lives with our 3 Persians so I think it's funny, but the irony is lost on my daughter :laugh:

I would never name a dog kaos or trouble and names like that as I feel animals grow into their names and I don't want to tempt fate lol.

I like to have fun with their names, you can't have as much fun with kids names so why not pets! - I have a Kaos :D and also like the names Sassy and Fanta :laugh:

I'm not a fan of the obvious or descriptive names - Fluffy, Blackie, etc.

We have a cat called Fluffy. I think most kids have had a Fluffy. Our Fluffy is short haired and lives with our 3 Persians so I think it's funny, but the irony is lost on my daughter :laugh:

My first ever pet was a duckling I named Fluffy, I was upset when she grew up to be white and not so fluffy laugh.gif

We had cats called Puss and Kitty growing up. I also named my rabbit Bun... Oh and I named my mum's goldfish Blackie (he was black), Whitie (orange with white patches) and the rest were all "Orangie" - they lived in a pond in the garden and you really couldnt tell which Orangie was which :o

Fortunately my own pets as an adult managed to escape the obvious names trend, I moved on to people names.

We had cats called Puss and Kitty growing up. I also named my rabbit Bun... Oh and I named my mum's goldfish Blackie (he was black), Whitie (orange with white patches) and the rest were all "Orangie" - they lived in a pond in the garden and you really couldnt tell which Orangie was which :o

LOL, Sounds like my childhood. We had two cats, Blackie and Ginger and then 2 working dogs Brownie and Socks (who was black with white socks). :o

As a groomer I dont see too many original names. I groom a lot of Bella's, usually Oodles or Labs.

I named a champagne coloured rescue poodle pup Moet once... and no-one enquiring about her could pronounce it... somehow I don't think many of them had ever drunk it either... lol!

How did they pronounce it?

They tended to ask for "the poodle pup with the funny name - how do you say that?"

T.