Turn Offs For Dog Names.

RallyValley

There is a woman in our agility circuit, who calls one of her dogs "Bucket". Now of course you are not allowed to swear on course, but when she gets frustrated & angry on course & calls out "Bucket", we all know what she means. :laugh:

This wouldn't be the same person whose older trialing dog is called Frigate :laugh: ?

:shhh:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I named a champagne coloured rescue poodle pup Moet once... and no-one enquiring about her could pronounce it... somehow I don't think many of them had ever drunk it either... lol!

How did they pronounce it?

They tended to ask for "the poodle pup with the funny name - how do you say that?"

T.

When I was little we had a Bichon called Moet :D (pronounced Moey)

The correct pronunciation is Mo-wett. It's one of those words that half the country gets wrong but never fails to give me a giggle when people get rude about those who apparently can't pronounce it correctly.

I groom two Moeys and one Moet, all Bichons!

I like what I like. I don't like derogatory names, although I know many are given in jest. I have had so many fosters and had to think of so many names that I'm running out of ideas lol. I have some weird ones (Champa and LA) and some super common ones (Ginger, Smudge, Daisy) and then some in the middle (eg Toby for a girl). :)

I suppose what this thread shows and emphasises is that we're all different, so please dont be too harsh about the names you dont like because someone else thinks they're perfect. My boy Puck is a case in point.

I don't like it when people have two dogs and call them something like " gin and tonic" or "salt and pepper", it seems to make them things rather than dogs.

i was going to make this exact post :laugh:

dont nessasarily think its a 'sin' but it always looks stupid when you add a third dog in there

I don't like it when people have two dogs and call them something like " gin and tonic" or "salt and pepper", it seems to make them things rather than dogs.

What about just one dog calledPancake. Shes not a thing. Oh wait...yes she is!

I suppose what this thread shows and emphasises is that we're all different, so please dont be too harsh about the names you dont like because someone else thinks they're perfect.

Yep!

I didn't name any of my dogs, I just kept the names they came with. The only thing I've found is with Coco, everyone seems to call him a 'she' and tell him what a pretty 'girl' he is. It doesn't seem to bother him. :laugh:

What about just one dog calledPancake. Shes not a thing. Oh wait...yes she is!

I'm sure Pancake would love a friend. Maple Syrup. :D

I don't have a problem with matching names, or popular ones for that matter. But then, one of my children has a very common name. Sometimes the 'popular' names just become so, because they sound good, or have good connotations.

As for funny dog names or combinations of names well, if you can't have fun naming your dog, what can you have fun with? :laugh:

Says she who flatly refused to name the dog with the name the 5 year old son came up with. 'Wintage Pie' no less.....

Lol. The funny thing is I used to have a horse called Lemon Lips so together I could have had Pancakes and Lemon

And I once had a male cat called Sugarplum. :laugh:

Sorry RallyValley, to take it off-topic.

Edited by trinabean

All our beasts end up with quite unique names.....but subsequently end up with silly rhymey nick names!!

We had a black cat Remo - nickname Blackie

Brown Burmese, Paddy - Browny.....I had a brown leghorn hen, Brownie along time ago as well!

Zola our current ridgeback, Red dog....

I like unique names, but not so unique they are impossible to spell or pronounce! And if they suit the animal, they are fine :)

One of our sheep, Shauna (was named when we got her) is currently being called Smoothy after her latest shearing! And the other poor sheep continually gets called our previous sheeps name - Moses instead of Jackson!!

I love the naming of pets, and the morphing of those names into nicknames and other terms of endearment. Our dogs have so many different names to their official names, and they respond to them all as well!!

I'm not a fan of common names like Charlie, Bella, Molly, Max etc

I don't mind matching names too much. I've had a "Barra" and "Kuda" pair of staffies.

My current pets are called:

-Orion (Border Collie)

-Cougar (DSH Cat, not named by me, she was a rescue)

-Raikou (Siamese, the name is a type of Pokemon)

-Primrose (Scottish fold rescue)

-Tilly (DMH cat, not named by me, shes a rescue)

-Helga (Rabbit, rescue)

-MacGyver (Rabbit, daughter of Helga)

-Checkers (Rabbit)

-Bishamon (Rat, the name is a japanese god)

-Barely (Rat, named because he barely has a blaze)

-Boney (Rat, named by a friend who wanted to call him Boner)

-Blizzard (Rat, named because he is all white)

-Boycott (Rat, leftover from a litter, named because nobody wanted her)

-Bacci (Rat, named for her kisses)

-Barika (Rat, her name is an anagram of a prior rat, Bakari)

-Blandfordia (Rat, named for her Aunt, Bland, and is a type of plant)

-Boronia (Rat, sister to blandfordia, also a type of plant)

-Banksia (Rat, sister to Boronia and Blandfordia, also a type of plant)

I also like hilarious random names, for example, I know a rescue dog who was called fluffy, but is now War Machine. I also know a cat whos dad had the choice of naming the cat, or naming the daughter. He decided to call the cat Madame Whiplash...thank god he didnt name the daughter! We have a client where I work with a dog called D4, he corrects you if you pronounce it "deefa" and tells you no its "D-four"....