Turn Offs For Dog Names.

RallyValley

There is a name I really really like for a distant future dog, but when I told someone they pointed out that the dog's name would rhyme with mine and it was 'too much'. :o Im on the fence about the name now. E.g person named Jo with a dog named Mo or a Dora with a dog named Zora.

But I thought it might be interesting to find out what else is a no go for people, ex's names? Friends kids names? Famous names?

I think I am a bit of an odd one as I spend so long choosing a name and it has to be a relatively uncommon name.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Names that rhyme. I hate it.

I had originally named my boy Beowulf Viserys when the litter was born, I had no intention on keeping a male so it didn't bother me that it rhymed with his sister, Daenerys name. But when we decided to run him on we needed to come up with something else.

I also hate cutsie names. Even my toy breed doesn't have a cutie name :laugh:

I also try to avoid names of other dogs in my breed simply out of respect for the other exhibitor.

Edited by Bjelkier

Names that rhyme with rude words are an obvious no-no. And yet I still had to convince my hubby that we could not name our Labrador 'Puck'.

Lol. Thats really funny. Imagine yelling that at the local dog park.

One from my last litter was Puck til he left... I had a bitch called Hooters too! LOL!

My pet hate is obvious/boring/over used names!

I do have a thing for human names for dogs... We also name alot of our griffons after harry potter characters, it started with mums dog dumbledore and I cant see it finishing anytime soon... mum also has a pansie, a luna and I have a Neville!

Edited by Nevafollo

I didn't realise it rhymed until someone pointed it out Teidrix : And now when I think about it I'm worried its 'cutesy' having a name that rhymes with my dogs and people might think I did it intentionally :eek:

I love a breeder in the US that names all pups in the litter and gives them matching show names, and I was really keen on this, until I realised people would likely change the call names and break my heart :laugh:

Names that rhyme with rude words are an obvious no-no. And yet I still had to convince my hubby that we could not name our Labrador 'Puck'.

One of Kirislin's whippets is named Puck.

I'm not telling my hubby that there is a precedent. (Although I do actually think that it is a really good name for a dog as Puck was a cheeky, playful and mischievous character. I just wasn't game to shout it :) )

My name is Tegan, and one of my favourite names is Keegan, but I have long written it off to be used by me, because I'd feel pretentious using it.

"I love my name so much I'm going to change one letter and use that to name a dog."

I'm not telling my hubby that there is a precedent. (Although I do actually think that it is a really good name for a dog as Puck was a cheeky, playful and mischievous character. I just wasn't game to shout it :) )

Teach your dog to recall to a whistle - no shouting necessary :laugh:

I don't want my dog's name to rhyme with mine, but one of my favourite boy dog names can be shortened to something that would rhyme with me... It makes me so annoyed! I can just imagine looking at the list of dogs entered in a catalog for something and seeing "Billie & Gilly" *shudder*

I would have thought Puck from midsummers nights dream before f-ck.. but I guess it depends on the 'quality' of the owner! ROFL

Having a rhyming name with your dog would be cute

Snap, Stan's Mum. I never thought about what it rhymed with either :shrug:.

I hate D-fa and stuff like that. I also hate Mac, Meg, Tex and crappy working dog names like that.

Agree. I'm not sure I mind the "crappy working dogs names", though.

Look at the favourite names of human boys and girls. Something I'll never understand why a name becomes fashionable. Fancy having half the class with the same name as yours :confused::confused:

Each to her own though. Just how I feel.

Snap, Stan's Mum. I never thought about what it rhymed with either :shrug:.

I hate D-fa and stuff like that. I also hate Mac, Meg, Tex and crappy working dog names like that.

Agree. I'm not sure I mind the "crappy working dogs names", though.

Look at the favourite names of human boys and girls. Something I'll never understand why a name becomes fashionable. Fancy having half the class with the same name as yours :confused::confused:

Each to her own though. Just how I feel.

I suppose after being around working dogs for so long and nearly every female is Tilly, Meg or Kate and every male is Tim, Max or Tex...you kinds get sick of it lol. I've met some dogs with cool working names like Rev, Fluke, Edge and Babs. They're a bit different.

I would have thought Puck from midsummers nights dream before f-ck.. but I guess it depends on the 'quality' of the owner! ROFL

:laugh: LOL. I guess I have to get comfortable with the fact that my thinking is a little bit low class, then :laugh:

We were actually looking for a name from A Midsummer Night's Dream (dog's name is <insert prefix here> Knight to Dream), so that's why Puck was on the shortlist. But we went with Oberon (the king of the fairies). Hubby also suggested 'Bottom' (I think that is the guy who gets turned into a donkey) but I suspect that he was joking... Hopefully no-one has called their dog Bottom - if you have, I apologise now at any offence that my comments may have caused ;)

I'd just go with what you want. I names a horse after a character in a show that I though was really cool - we also had Munroe (from Grimm :D ) picked out for Murphy - that and Kip (the horse from Man from Snowy River)

My human kids all have different names, I think because mine is so boring that I wanted different.