Food Aggression Towards The Cats

CollieChaos

@sheena, actually yes i do feed them together/have them interacting on a regular basis.

@juice, i do understand exactly what everyone is saying, im not simple. I just dont agree with it in context of my animals/my ideals :)

I think you are asking too much of your animals and not enough of yourself.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Juice, Rats and Cats are a much loved and important part of my family, please think about how comments like that may hurt the feelings of those people lucky to have them in their lives.

I could just as easily say bull terriers are horrible dogs that are always neurotic, aggressive, and not safe to own by using media generalisations. However, I know better than that because I don't believe everything the media tells me.

For the record, I love bullies (but wouldnt ever own one), just needed to use an example that was close to your heart, as you did to me. Just because an animal is small, or considered vermin, it doesnt mean they can't love, or be loved.

Edited by CollieChaos

Dogs are predators. Like it or not, aggression is a part of their makeup, just as it is with cats. To deny this is to let yourself in for a world of trouble, if you think that just because your dog is a domestic animal that it will never chase an animal or display any sort of aggression.

You wouldn't like it if a stranger tried to come over (or even a family member!) and steal the food on your plate while you were eating, especially your favourite food. Please extend the same courtesy to your dog, and don't let others try to steal his food.

ETA: Oh, and I think rats make GREAT pets!

Edited by Kavik

I can see a dog that I going to be reprimanded for the signals he's using to tell the cat to bugger off and leave him alone. What does the dog do then ? He doesn't give any warning signals, because he's been reprimanded. Dog then goes from what appears to be happily eating to an aggressive over reaction ( when it's not, he's simply been reprimanded for the previous warning signs .

The dog should be allowed to express appropriate warning signs, that tell the cat to bugger off, it's better than dog going from zero to attacking the cat or another dog or a person.

Either let the poor dog eat in peace or let it reprimand the cat. Writing the signals off as "bad" behaviour and attempting the suppress them, because it doesn't fit in with your idea of how the dog should behave, is a potentially dangerous.

Your kinda missing the point again, i am just trying to show its a natural thing, like cats chase mice.

And relieved you don't ever want to own a bully, with your ideals you would be in big trouble.

ike cats chase mice.

There are exceptions though .

My household used to have mice/budgie/cats/dog Under supervision I would watch TV with mice on my knee , and cats close by . Mice lived in an open topped tank for some time, (un touched by my cats) ..UNTIL the free range budgie took to grabbing them by the tail ! :(

Interspecies harmony can be done ....sometimes though, the animals themselves need to set the rules.

I dont think i have ever said that the behaviour my cat was displaying was ok. If you can find somewhere where I have said that, please correct me.

I have owned staffies in the past, so i do have knowledge on what that side of bull breeds is like to own. I have worked with countless bull terriers, and i know what they can be like as well, hence why I wouldn't ever own them.

Orion has met my rats (and my other species of animals) and is ok with them all. I dont ever let my rats interact with him unsupervised as he tries to play with them and they dont exactly play the same way.

I suggest you read your first post again.

You say your dog is being a 'jerk" because he growled at the cat, the cat continued so he snapped at him.

No where did you say the cat was being a jerk, when its the cat who is the one at fault.

As you chose not to stop the cat the dog had to.

How hard is it to put the dog somewhere it feels safe to eat in peace?

The incident which prompted me to post this thread, there was only a snap, no growling, and no other warnings, instant snap when the cat came into his bowl. I have said many times I do not encourage the behaviour with the cat, and I shoo him off if I notice him being a seagull. The dog has a "fenced" (a fence of cardboard about 3 foot high) area in my bedroom where he sleeps (in a crate) and eats. He has always had this area, but Raikou jumps it as he likes to play with Orion.

As I have already stated, I want my cats to be safe around my dog when he is eating. Some people may not agree with me wanting to control my animals behaviour, and thats fine, you don't need to loose sleep about it. I have made my decision on how I want my animals to behave and I am consulting with a trainer tomorrow who thinks they can help us achieve that goal.

So as you have done nothing about it, and the cat continue's , so the dog is now missing out the warning signs and going straight for the snap.

It will only escalate, and the cat will come off worse.

You are not helping this situation at all by just shooing off the cat, you know darn well it will do it, remove the cat before you put his food down.

FFS HOW HARD IS IT!!!!!