Lymphoma And New Oral Chemotherapy

cassie

Hi all. My beautiful 8 year old Bernese Zephyr has been diagnosed with lymphoma :cry: We didn't think we wanted to put him through chemo, but our vet has prescribed a new medication which is in tablet form and given orally, it is a lower dose of chemo. He says this drug is relatively new and he personally has only used it on one other dog with the same type of cancer, but this other dog improved vastly and the swelling in his lymph nodes reduced significantly. Zeph will get treated once a fortnight, and we can do it ourselves at home. The drug is meant to have no side effects. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of or used this before?

We certainly don't wish to prolong his life if he gets to the point where he is in constant pain or a state of depression. But while he still has an appetite and is still happy to see us we figure we'll give this a shot.

Sorry cassie, to find out that your gorgeous dog has came down with the same cancer - my Struppie is battling since the 21.05.2012. :( He is still having IV chemotherapy, but the only oral treatment he received was twice Cycloblastin 50mg. Since a few hours he is very flat, just laying down, so I do not know what tomorrow will bring. I administered 2x Tramadol 50mg, just in case he is in pain. A different chemo protocol might work for your dog.

Feeling your disappointment, wishing you strenght on this journey.

Zephyr has gone downhill since having his tablets unfortunately :cry: the right side of his face has dropped as if he's had a stroke, that's what the vet suspects anyway. He's also bleeding slightly from his right nostril. The vet thinks there are probably more tumours in his throat and nasal passage. He looks terrible. The vet wants us to give the medication time to work but I don't think we can let him go on like this. It's absolutely awful I can't believe how quickly it's all happened, he was only diagnosed on the 29th of March :( :( :(

Well I can't say it hasn't been quick. We'll be saying goodbye to our dear boy tomorrow :cry: We can't bear to see him like this any longer, he hasn't eaten in three days, hasn't toileted at all today, and his tail has forgotten how to wag :( He's looking at us with the saddest eyes. I know he has given up. Absolutely breaking my heart :cry:

RIP beautiful Zephyr :cry: Gone but never forgotten.

The cancer was too aggressive and he went downhill quickly. We gave him his wings yesterday arvo :(

I'm heartbroken but relieved for him at the same time, that now he is at peace and free from pain.

Thanks to all in here for your wishes xxx

Oh Cassie I am so so sorry for your loss. <hugs>

He was such a gorgeous lovely boy, you must be so heartbroken...it sounds like you made the right choice for him as hard as it must have been for you.. :(

I'll always remember him, he was one of the first Berners I ever met.

Run free Zephyr. :rainbowbridge: