Mischief (missy)

Lhok

The rainbow bridge gained another Angel today but it also took my heart. My beautiful girl Missy.

I got you when I was 16 from the RSPCA while doing work experience and my father was so adamant that I wasn't to bring home any animals. Little did he know I had befriended a large black Labrador x Kelpie and had snuck her out to meet mum who also became smitten with her. On the following weekend we tricked dad into going to the RSPCA as mum was driving and the centre is near the airport so we told dad we were headed to the aero club. An hour late we were driving out of the RSPCA with you in the back. Dad was so impressed with you and your manners that he couldn't help but take you home. Little did we know that you were houndini and could escape any fenced backyard that you put your mind to. If you didn't jump the fence clean you just climbed it, or in thunderstorms just ripped the gate clean off it's hinges causing huge damage to your teeth and my wallet in the process. I would often have to run you down on foot during the storms if one hit and we weren't home. You always headed to the beach where we would walk in the mornings and afternoons. You loved it there from running around in the shallows as you didn't like water past your knees to rolling in dead fish and seagulls to playing fetch with sponges I loved watching you race around like a madman.

You were my constant during my most troubled years as a teenager and I loved coming home and heading straight back out the door with you. It didn't matter what we were doing or where we were going you just loved being with me as I loved being with you. As I grew up and moved out of my parents house you stayed behind then when I came back home you once again became my shadow it was like we just picked it back up where we left it off. I then moved out again and you came with me this time however as you were older and were suffering arthritis I had to let you move back to my parents as you didn't like the stairs where I was living and you preferred the flat open plan house that you had lived in for many years. I once again moved back in because I didn't like leaving you behind every time I visited.

More years passed and I had a baby and you loved her just as much if not more then you loved me. Whenever she cried you would eagerly rush to get me to attend her. If I moved too slow for you liking you would nudge me with your cold wet nose on the back of my legs. My baby learned to crawl and eventually walk under your ever watchful eye you always were watching her like a fur coated nanny.

Then as time went on you suddenly aged overnight.. You no longer wanted to do the things you loved to do like playing tussles and chasey or fetch the ball. You no longer wanted my daughter to pat you or come and nudge the back of my legs with your cold wet nose. Instead you would pace around the yard and bark at nothing, sometimes snapping at invisible flies or just standing staring off into space. We took you to the vets and they told us it was the on set of dementia. We put you on Vivitonin and for two months we saw improvements you became your old self again it was wonderful to see. However it was to be short lived, your pancreas didn't like the drugs in your system and you became very sick. We took you back to the vets and they kept you in hospital for a while and you got a little better but no where near what you should have been. We took you off the drugs and the dementia came back very quickly and you started to go down hill rapidly. You also couldn't keep weight on and were loosing too much I tried to rally you but I found a huge lump on your side that when I went to touch it you snapped at me.

I took you to the vets today to try and get their help but you also had fluid around your heart and the vet said there wasn't much else they could do for you. We agreed to give you some sedation but as the needle went in you tried to bite the vet and you flinched hard. While I was waiting for the sedation to take effect you slipped away never to come back.

I miss you already the house is too quiet, I miss the clicking of your nails on the floor as you shadow my steps. I miss almost tripping over you as you lay at my door. I miss your tail thumping on the floor as you wag it. I miss you grumbling in your sleep as you chase the rabbits you never catch... But I miss most of all my best friend.

Rest In Peace my beautiful lady, and thank you for always being there, for the lessons you taught me and for loving me always.

I will always love you.

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't seem real still that you are gone. I found the photo I took of you after I had put your new collar on as the old was was destroyed by you rolling in raw sewage. You really didn't like going "naked" as my mum put it you always liked wearing your collars and would get so mopey when we took it off you.

I still feel like I catch glimpses of you running around my bed to wake me up in the morning and shadowing my step around my parents home.

You sitting after the collar was put on and you wanted the treat I had.

P1140063.jpg

You rolling in the mud breaking in the new collar while trying to score a tummy rub :)

P1140062.jpg

I miss you Missy

--Lhok

• 3 weeks later...

One month on and it's still hard Miss I miss rubbing those velvet ears of yours and playing games of chasey round the yard. I gave some of your old stuff to a no kill animal shelter, I thought it was the right thing to do to help those that help animals that are in a similar place to where I met you.

I also have a little boy Akita puppy coming home in two days time, you would have loved playing with him you loved playing with puppies. I hope you are running free up there, just remember no one likes having dead seagull rubbed on their pants no matter how happy you are with the smell.

Miss you

--Lhok

• 9 months later...

It's been a while Miss, but last night I had a dream and you were in it. I have no idea where we were as I have never seen a garden so beautiful nor one that had a huge waterfall with a sandy bottom. You were having a blast though jumping in and out of the water and you encouraged me to go swimming with you. Raiden was also there running in and out of the shallows. We all went for a long romp through the garden and then down a track but you guys only went so far and then turned back and I woke up and realised I didn't have you both anymore.

Bittersweet but beautiful.

--Lhok