Guidedog Pts...

griff

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/world/16566907/healthy-guide-dog-killed-to-grant-final-wish/

The family of a blind woman who died from cancer has received death threats after her healthy five-year-old guide dog was put down so it could be buried alongside her.

Sheila Stadler, 68, expressed to her family that her wish was to be buried with her beloved labrador, Toffee.

Her son Andrew fulfilled her final wish by having the dog put down so it could be placed inside her coffin after she died on March 8.

He said the dog had been lost without its best friend and ‘wandered aimlessly’ while mourning in the days after Mrs Stadler died.

The controversial decision to put down the healthy guide dog has spurred a hate campaign from the local Terre Haute community, animal lovers and even her own family.

“It got totally out of control, the neigbourhood was really angry”, said veterinary assistant Gregory Rielly.

“People were saying they should burn in hell. Terrible things were said.”

“Mr Stadler told me he had received death threats and a member of his own family wrote on a Facebook page that she could not believe he had done it.”

Sheila Stadler, 68, died March 8 at home with her service animal, Toffee, at her side. Photo: Debaun Funeral Home.

Even Mr Reilly was implicated in the hate campaign after being mistakenly blamed for putting Toffee down.

“We would never euthanise a dog - we simply find them a new home”, he said.

“It seems very morbid to me but unfortunately as the dog was their property, it was perfectly legal.”

It is not known when or how the pet was euthanised.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder where this happened? I did not think it was possible to have a dog buried in the same coffin.

What a waste of a beautifully trained and loyal animal. Can't imagine what the lady was thinking to have requested that!

RIP Toffee :(

I wonder where this happened? I did not think it was possible to have a dog buried in the same coffin.

What a waste of a beautifully trained and loyal animal. Can't imagine what the lady was thinking to have requested that!

RIP Toffee :(

There are those who think their dogs will be devastated without them. The idea that the dog will be happy in another home doesn't occur to them.

I'll confess to being surprised that guide dogs aren't donated to owners on the proviso that they be returned on such occasions.

Wow they keep telling us how much it costs to train one of those bloody dogs and then they let someone go and kill a 5 year old, healthy, fully trained guide dog? I do hope this lady actually paid for that dog herself and did not hold a community fundraiser or whatever to be able to afford him.

Good on the community for telling these d*ckheads what they think about this.

The only Terre Haute I know of is in Indiana, USA.

It seems a terrible waste.

I'm in two minds about this. I know Kenny wouldn't have been OK if I died. He always used to fret badly when I went on holidays, twice he needed Vet attention due to the stress of being separated from me.

Guide dogs might be different because of their training & the fact they spend a lot of time living in different environments when they are young. But it is sad that another sight impaired person, missed out on having this dog as their eyes & companion.

We do not know what this dog was like - how fit it was, or how solid its work was . "back in the old days"....not all dogs of that age were re-issued that I remember ... many just stayed with a family ..; if they were healthy and temperamentally sound ,some went out as therapy dogs , some were sold as pets.

A dog of around 5 has had possibly 3 years working with this owner ..and lord knows what ingrained habits were there :) During the hundreds of hours together ,so many little things get wired in which are perfect for (or ignored by) current owners, but which are very ,very difficult to retrain around - remembering that someones life depends on the dog's reactions and decisions .

Some dogs do not settle at all well after losing an owner ...then there is often time spent in a get-fit /lose weight program ;retraining ...and , obviously a much reduced working life....

Obviously the lady did own this dog , she wanted them to be together forever ..and now they are ....

Edited by persephone

It seems a waste of an guide dog, however as the owner of an animal, you have every right to request it be PTS.

You might have the legal right, but it hardly morally right or decent :(

That said, I don't hold with the family being issued with death threats.

The person who administered the lethal injection needs to be seriously questioned.

I agree that some people can't believe that a dog they've been so close with, could ever find an equally happy home after they'd died. Or even bond with another owner.

Bravest & most sensible elderly lady I know of.... was facing failing health. She made a decision. While she was alive & reasonably well so could control the situation, she would find a new home for her beloved 10 yr old p/b tibbie. She wanted the comfort of seeing... & knowing... that her little dog was happy & settled without her.

It threw a few people she asked for help, at first. But, as she pointed out.... she was doing something sooner rather than later.... & she'd be in control of who her dog would go to.

Lot of people helped .... even a great lady from Cav Rescue Qld, who did an assessment of the tibbie. And whose assessment later on proved to be spot on.

Well, that little tib found a brilliant home with Sydney people who already owned 2 tibbies. As soon as she put her paws into that house, she settled and has a wonderful life. Many months later, the elderly lady came to stay, & saw for herself that her dog had made a new life. And didn't worry when she left.

I agree that some people can't believe that a dog they've been so close with, could ever find an equally happy home after they'd died. Or even bond with another owner.

Bravest & most sensible elderly lady I know of.... was facing failing health. She made a decision. While she was alive & reasonably well so could control the situation, she would find a new home for her beloved 10 yr old p/b tibbie. She wanted the comfort of seeing... & knowing... that her little dog was happy & settled without her.

It threw a few people she asked for help, at first. But, as she pointed out.... she was doing something sooner rather than later.... & she'd be in control of who her dog would go to.

Lot of people helped .... even a great lady from Cav Rescue Qld, who did an assessment of the tibbie. And whose assessment later on proved to be spot on.

Well, that little tib found a brilliant home with Sydney people who already owned 2 tibbies. As soon as she put her paws into that house, she settled and has a wonderful life. Many months later, the elderly lady came to stay, & saw for herself that her dog had made a new life. And didn't worry when she left.

But not all dogs can adapt to being in a new place away from their owners. I know of some who have adapted, but some don't. I think the original owner knows best whether their dog would be happy being re-homed or not.

But not all dogs can adapt to being in a new place away from their owners. I know of some who have adapted, but some don't. I think the original owner knows best whether their dog would be happy being re-homed or not.

Note. in this case, there was a thorough assessment of the little dog for the purpose of matching with the type of home that would suit. Which went a large way to a successful rehoming.

IF there had been no way of getting the little dog to adjust to a new home.... then that elderly lady would know that it could be more merciful for her to be PTS in the event of her death or move to a nursing home.

This little dog was given the benefit of testing.... by experienced rescue people & experienced breed owners ... who knew what they were doing, And by a realistic owner who wanted to be the person who had full control of what would be best for her dog .... while she was in full command of her senses & alive.

No one can predict the future with 100% accuracy. This owner put the future to the test in the present. So the little dog would benefit, either way.

Edited by mita

I think deep down almost everybody believe their dog will never be happy if they disappear. Which I think is grossly out of proportion to the number of dogs who would actually not cope without the owner. Dogs go through rescue, pounds and sale/rehoming all the time.

Maybe we should do as they did in old Egypt and have all our animals and partners killed to be buried with us along with all our money and slaves...

What if the owner is wrong?

???

Just pointing out that some people believe their dog could never be rehomed and sometimes they're wrong about that.

Shame a dog had to die when it could have gone on enjoying life and making someone else really happy.

I think it's a selfish act.