11 Month Old Weeing Inside Again

Zelahi

My 11 month Cocker Spaniel, Marlow, was completely toilet trained at about 6 months and we had no accidents until about a month ago and now he has started urinating in the house again. It's always in the same spot, only wee never poo, I never catch him doing it. He has just stopped letting me know when he needs to go outside and even if I let him out regularly he sometimes will wee 5 minutes after being let back inside.

I'm really at a loss as to how I should start to fix this.

Would really like some suggestions or to hear from other people who have had similar situations.

I'm going to work for 8 hours but will reply when I'm home.

Thanks.

That must be frustrating ...

is he desexed?

Is he weeing more often, do you think?

Has he been checked for a urinary tract infection?

Has another dog/cat been inside ....and perhaps left a scent on/near that spot?

What are you cleaning it with? Some cleaners leave a scent which smells a bit like the ammonia in urine ..so dogs may use the spot again and again ... White vinegar seems to do the trick here..even with cat urine (if I get it early enough, that is :o )

He is desexed, he was desexed about a week after the urinating inside started happening.

I feel like he is weeing more often as I woke up at 5:30am to let him outside and by 9:00am there was already two accidents inside.

I've never had him checked for a UTI but he doesn't seem to be in any pain when urinating or struggling with it.

I have a female cat who is 7 who only toilets outside but I couldn't know for sure that she hasn't left a scent there. The dog and cat aren't best of friends so I guess it could be territorial.

Been cleaning it up with water & cloth then paper toweling it dry and then spraying "Rufus & Coco 'Wee Away' Odour & Stain remover suitable for Urine, Faeces & vomit"

I'll give Vinegar a try for a awhile!

A bit more information is the place that he is urinating is in the hallway which leads to outside. It's really frustrating as I live in a share house and this is happening right outside my housemates bedroom door so they are stepping in it as they leave their bedroom :(.

If you feel he is weeing more often ..then perhaps a urine test to rule out problems ... then , if that's all clear , some retraining might be useful ? :)

I'll see if I can get him into the vets this week. Thanks :)

I use vinegar too - it seems to be the best. What sort of surface is it? Is it possible that the odour has not been totally eliminated - very difficult if it is carpet as it seeps in. If it is a hard surface I would clean it thoroughly with vinegar, dry it off and cover it over with a mat.

Is it possible to gate him off from that spot for a while? It sounds like it is just a habit he has developed - just need to break the pattern!

I recall going through this with my Dally at a similar age but he was marking. Turns out Mr TSD was absorbed in something and didn't notice Zig's (very subtle) indications that he needed to go out on one occasion and it quickly became a habit. Went straight back to "puppy training" ie out every 30 min (alarm set!) and confined when unsupervised and he was back on track in no time at all. Good luck!

Went through same sort of thing with our dog Becky :) we restricted her water intake at like 8 in the evening or something, and at night she slept in the normal place-bedroom-but we started leaving the door shut :) from then on it seemed ok. But, she only really had her accidents at night, so maybe different situation? :)

Best to get a doggie door so he can get out when he needs to.

Are you feeding him on a supermarket dried food? They often make dogs thirsty so if you've changed his diet to that or anything else, check the salt content.

Naturally you should check to see if he has a urinary infection but it may well be something else.

If you haven't removed the scent properly it can become a "peeing post" ...

I use Napisan/water or vinegar/water. Going through gallons of it at the moment.