Chronic Kidney Disease

kayla1

Thanks shepherds and JulesP for your kind thoughts.

Sorry to hear about your boy shepherds. I hope he is improving, it is certainly frightening. I've never experienced it before either, but I remembered reading a recent thread on here about vestibular, so I recognised the symptoms with Kayla and didn't panic as much as I otherwise would have.

Just popping back in to say thanks for thinking of Kayla. Good news is she's finally accepting food so I no longer have to syringe feed her. She's a bit fussy but at least she is eating. She's still very tilted and wobbly but I can see small improvements each day and that's the main thing.

Thanks Sheridan and shepherds. You know, the house feels empty. Trying to get into a routine now with my other dogs. I'll be picking up Coco's ashes from the vet this week.

It's been such a long thirteen days (lost count then) since Kayla came down with this. I hope her head tilt and staggering resolves soon.

How is your boy going shepherds?

Edited by kayla1

It's hard enough to cope when it doesn't happen suddenly.

I know it doesn't help to dwell on the what if questions...but there was so little time between starting the kidney diet and him stopping eating altogether that I kinda wish I had ditched the kidney diet and just given him all his favourite foods. But I guess you just don't know how much time is left, and the diet is said to be so important. It's an awful disease.

I still dwell on if only. My dog wouldn't touch the kidney food at all. Then I just tried to get him to eat anything and that didn't work either. He went downhill very quickly, 3 weeks from diagnosis to when he was pts. That's still longer than his litter sister who died at the same time. With her it was a week.

The day he died, he did eat. It was half a tic-toc biscuit. A pink one.

Edited by Sheridan

Thanks Sheridan and shepherds. You know, the house feels empty. Trying to get into a routine now with my other dogs. I'll be picking up Coco's ashes from the vet this week.

It's been such a long thirteen days (lost count then) since Kayla came down with this. I hope her head tilt and staggering resolves soon.

How is your boy going shepherds?

He is doing better thanks Kayla1, only a slight head tilt now and not quite as many spills, but he looks more like himself and is happy in himself.

I hope Kayla is continuing to improve. You've had a lot on your plate with Coco's illness and passing and also managing Kayla at the same time. A big upheaval and adjustment for everyone and Im not surprised the house feels empty...it changes everything when we lose one of the family.

I hope you are looking after yourself in amongst all of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Kayla had another check up today and she's doing reasonably well, but she's had three separate episodes of vestibular now. One was the episode she had four weeks ago that she is still recovering from, and two other slightly different shorter episodes. It's most likely neurological. The only way of knowing is an MRI but it requires a general anaesthetic. So at the moment it's just watch and see and hope she continues to improve, but may have to do something further if the episodes continue.

• 2 months later...

I've just been trying to find some information on kidney disease and came across your story. I want to send you my condolences for the loss of your wonderful Coco and hope you and Kayla are going OK. :hug:

Thanks for your thoughts CHA.

Kayla is doing pretty good at the moment. She still has some problems with balance after the vestibular episode and has slowed down but she is happy enough, and she seems to have reverted back to her puppyhood! So considering her age, I'm happy with how she is going.

Thanks for your thoughts CHA.

Kayla is doing pretty good at the moment. She still has some problems with balance after the vestibular episode and has slowed down but she is happy enough, and she seems to have reverted back to her puppyhood! So considering her age, I'm happy with how she is going.

That's great news. Keep it up Kayla :thumbsup: