Chronic Kidney Disease

kayla1

My beautiful old boy Coco has recently been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease, and is only expected to live another few weeks. :cry::cry:

Coco is 14yrs old now, and he has been here with me for just over three years. The poor boy has had far more than his fair share of complex health problems, but he is a tough cookie and has continued to do really well despite the problems he has had. In fact I only found out about the kidney disease through routine blood tests, because he was not showing symptoms. It's only been the last week or so when he has had more vomiting and diarrhoea, and his mouth ulcers have multiplied. Obviously there is no cure for kidney failure, so I want to make sure he is as comfortable as possible for the time he has left.

His creatinine and BUN levels are extremely high, but he is doing surprisingly well at the moment. He has a good appetite and is still active and happy, and the vets are really surprised at this. His blood tests also show regenerative anaemia, most likely a bleed from a stomach ulcer. He's been on a lot of medication for his spinal problems, and more recently heart medication, which has most likely contributed.

He'll be staying on the kidney diet while he is still eating, and once he stops eating I'll give him whatever food he will accept. He's currently getting zantac and carafate, vitamin b injections, and will be starting on chinese herbs soon. I've also just heard about azodyl, so will ask the vet about that.

Does anyone have any experience with kidney disease? Did you use fluids, or other treatments?

So sorry to hear Kayla1... Hope your vet is keeping him comfortable and keeping you informed... Fluids under the skin might just help him along in the end stages. Quite easy for you to do at home painlessly... Anything to help the poor guys remaining kidney function. Hugs to you:)

Very sorry to hear about this, Kayla1. I had a dog die of kidney disease. From diagnosis to when he was pts was three weeks. He spent some time on fluids in an attempt to flush out the toxins but this simply gave him oedema and pleural effusion. I have to state though that the kidney disease was very specific rather than just general kidney failure so it won't necessarily apply to other dogs. I have ears fluids under the skin can be successful for general kidney failure.

When creatinine and BUN are very high, I think the best you can do is ensure your dog eats. If he's eating, wont lose the weight. My dog was losing over a kilo a day. My dog stopped eating and drinking and wouldn't touch the kidney food and given he didn't eat, it meant he also wouldn't take his medication. I took him to the surgery every day for equivalent injections. The vets were marvellous.

Edited by Sheridan

Thanks for the reply Xyz. It's hard because my favourite vet is on maternity leave so I've been seeing other vets at this clinic. Although I have still been emailing my favourite vet and she's been incredibly helpful with all the info she's provided.

Thanks Sheridan, sorry to hear you lost a dog to this disease. I don't know about the different types of kidney disease, and the vets aren't sure why Coco's kidney failure has come on so quickly (although medication side effects have been suggested).

Up until the last couple of days he's been really good. But in the early hours of this morning, his expression showed me for the first time that something was 'wrong'. :cry::cry: So I lost the plot today and spent most of the day crying. I guess I knew it was coming, given his blood test results, but it just made it all real. Though he was actually good on his walk this morning, and has slept soundly most of the day, but he is vomiting more and eating less. So his medication has been changed from zantac to losec to see if that helps, and he's had an antiemetic.

He hasn't had fluids yet, I'll need to make sure it's ok with his heart. I've read about fluids under the skin but the vet recommended iv fluids, I'm not sure which is best.

Sorry to hear your story, kidney disease is tough.

I've only had one experience with kidney disease although I've lost a lot of dogs every year since 2007 (I adopt oldies) and that was an elderly dog I adopted from the pound. She had a mouthful of rotten teeth and the pre op blood tests also showed her kidneys were failing. My vet said she would only have a few weeks to live.

I contacted the All Natural Vet at Russell Lea, Sydney to see if there was anything they could do for her. I hadn't expected too much, they do alternative therapies and I thought perhaps her last weeks would be more comfortable with certain supplements (she'd had terrible diarrhea previously).

Anyway, they reviewed all the test results and prescribed some Chinese herbs. The change in this little girl was enormous - her hair started growing again and she looked much better, in a couple of months on the herbs.

All in all, she was with me for nearly 12 months -always on the herbs and the special Hills Kidney diet - and got the most out of her little life.

If I had the same diagnosis again, I would go for the Chinese herbs if the dispensing vets thought they would help.

I know there are two vets in VIC that dispense them. In Sydney the ANV is the only place and consult is $250 plus the herbs but I've had amazing results in several cases and when things look hopeless, this is the way I would go.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

Edited by dogmad

Thanks dogmad for sharing your story, I'm glad your girl had such good quality life.

Thank you k9angel, shepherds, and gwp4me for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

My beautiful boy has gone downhill very quickly the last couple of days, and it's nearly time to say goodbye. :cry: And now my beautiful old girl Kayla developed vestibular disease yesterday, and even though she is struggling to walk she still manages to find her way over to Coco to check on him. :cry: :cry:

The vet came to the house this afternoon and Coco was given his wings. I knew last night that it wouldn't be long, and it all happened very quickly. His body just couldn't cope anymore and he told me very clearly that it was time to rest. It was very peaceful.

I love you with all my heart Coco xxxx :cry: :cry:

post-21356-0-41856900-1365754507_thumb.jpg

Thanks for asking JulesP.

Kayla is still wonky on her feet and her head is still very tilted but she is managing to get around a bit more and toilet by herself now. The vomiting has stopped and she is drinking, but she's not eating much at all. There is some improvement each day, but Coco not being here is a big change for her too and I think she's feeling that on top of everything else.

Great to hear Kayla is improving, my boy came down with the same thing on Friday and not having experienced it before it is very very frightening.

Words escape me, but I just wanted to say how unfair life can be sometimes and given what you have been dealing with, with the loss of Coco and Kayla's illness, I hope you are hanging in there and managing okay.