Crutiate Ligament Tear In 11 Year Border Collie

Border Collie

Hello fellow dog lovers,

Our vet told us yesterday that our old girl requires surgery to fix a torn crutiate ligament.

Has anyone had this surgery done on their older dog?

Our Border Collie is an 'old' 11. She has arthritis in the same hind leg as the ligament damage so the vet said she'll never be the same even after surgery.

I worry about the other ligament tearing and also about her recovery with an over active BC in the same house encouraging her to follow him on his 4000th run around the yard daily.

Can anyone shed some light on this type of surgery in older dogs?

Cheers

Plenty of older dogs have successful cruciate repair surgery. The recovery process is relatively straight forward so long as the dog is rested. Keep the dog crated/separated from your other BC and you will be fine. You get use to the rehab process and I suspect its easier to keep an older dog quieter then it would be a young feral. My young BC had surgery and she is super active and managed ok.

How is she coping at the moment? Is she very sore or lame? My dog (also 11 at the time) did both cruciates 6mths apart. I had the first one operated on (TPLO) but when the second one went, I decided to manage it with meducation and supplements. She is completely sound 99% of the time and only gets sore if she overdoes it. She gets Cartrophen injections, Sashas Blend, Glucosamine and omega oils. If she pulls up sore, I give her some anti-inflams.

I personally believe that her unsteady gait after the surgery contributed to the second one going. I followed the surgeon's instructions perfectly but she did not recover or improve as much as I would have liked. Her recovery was very slow and she was lame for quite a few weeks post-op.

Hello again,

Thank you to those of you who replied. She is doing much better now. We decided not to operate and are thankfully happy with how she is going. Her daily walks are now smaller and on leads only but she is happy again. Her face is one that easily read. The vet has changed her medication slightly and all seems to have turned out for the best.

We just have to nurse her a bit more these days. But that is not something to surprising considering her arthritis and age.

Thank you again for your responses & advice.

Cheers :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

My Labrador was 9 years old when she has her done in one rear leg.

No real problems after the surgery. In fact, she was jumping a couple of days after the surgery!! It has been more than 3 years now. Only occasionally shows some limping after runs and walks in the park. I was recommended to use Rose Hip Vital for Canine. Seems to lessen her limping.

My nearly 11yr old girl recently had a ACL repair. She is recovering nicely. I'm aware of the risk of the other ACL snapping and if that happens down the track I don't think i'll choose surgery again. It has taken it's toll on her and the first week post surgery was high care (was like having a baby again, carrying her around and cleaning her up, she couldn't stand and wet and soiled herself)

I hope your dog is still going well. My vet said that if it's left for months it is a lot worse and harder to fix. (The only reason I wouldn't do it again is the toll that it has taken on her, I won't put her through it again) but every dog is different in there recovery.

My Labrador was 9 years old when she has her done in one rear leg.

No real problems after the surgery. In fact, she was jumping a couple of days after the surgery!! It has been more than 3 years now. Only occasionally shows some limping after runs and walks in the park. I was recommended to use Rose Hip Vital for Canine. Seems to lessen her limping.

Actually, I may have exaggerated. Actually my lab is an outdoor dog, life is not too bad. However, we told not to get her to climb up the steps (in the backyard) and also not to get her running when we enter the backyard. So I was forced to barricade the backyard into a much smaller compound. Not being a handyman makes things worst.

I was also told to get her to the beach to do some swimming. I remember I had to stand in Vic winter days in the water while she swim. No off leash for weeks. Probably the only lab in the park and beach on leash.

Quite a pain. If you did manage to discount the operation, well, it can be a good thing.

I do sugest though instead of relying on Cartrophen injection or any form of pre-scribed anti-inflamatory substance, try the Rose Hip for Canine. It's discussed much here on this forum.