New Dog And Previous Dogs Scent

Kingbob

Unfotunately my beagle boy Fred lost his battle with cancer, and leaves a huge 4 legged shaped hole in my home.

I want to adopt/rescue another dog, but was wondering what advice people have when it comes to doggy scent.

My boy Fred had a bed in (almost) every room, and lots of blankets etc. If I introduce a new dog into the house, obviously all the bedding etc will smell of Fred, what would a new dogs reaction to that be?

Some blankets I can wash, others can be thrown out, but i cant do much for his canvas bedding, and of course his scent will be all over the house.

Is there anything specific I should do?

Thanks

Hi Kingbob - so sorry to hear about your loss of Fred.

Is it possible to get rid of the canvas bed completely - or at least store it somewhere and get a completely new bed for your new dog? If you wash the blankets thoroughly and give them a vinegar rinse then they should be fine. If you can give the house a thorough clean and wash over the hard areas with some diluted vinegar - especially where Fred may have had any "accidents" - that would help also. Remember any new dog may tend to "mark" out its territory anyway and that would be normal until he is trained appropriately and learns where you want him to "go".

Good luck - will you look for another beagle boy?

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

We lost out beautiful old girl November last year & got a puppy mid February this year, we got everything new except the metal framed bed. I was almost going to get another cover for it but decided it was in prefect condition & have just left it.

While our puppy is delightful and we love him to pieces I still miss my old girl so very much, but I know that Murphy will grow to be every bit as fantastic, if not better (due to me hopefully getting more knowledge from her.

Good luck in finding someone that will fit into your family.

As a foster carer I've had heaps of different dogs come through my house (usually entire to start with and some on heat) and it's never been a problem.

Dogs will be able to smell another dogs presence whether you've washed stuff or not. The scent will be on walls, curtains and pretty much everything.

Fortunately they adapt pretty easily. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies.

The blankets I can throw out i think. Even a wash wont get all his fur out of them so they'd never lose the scent completely.

I'll give the floors a good mop, but theres not much i think i can do with the main canvas bed. Its a large, square, padded bed with raised sides. The cushion in it can be washed so will do that, might just have to give the canvas a good scrub with some soap and water.

I almost feel disloyal to Fred in cleaning his scent away :(

Fred was only half beagle. I think his other half was labrador. Basically he looked and behaved like a beagle, but was labrador sized, with labrador fur (and the nose and appetite of both combined!).

fredrun.jpg

I dont think i will get another beagle, would feel a bit too much like an imitation Fred, if that makes sense.

I'm actually thinking about a Huskie X red kelpie that i've seen that needs a new home.

I'm sorry for your loss Kingbob :( Fred sure was a handsome boy.

I have had foster greyhounds and they have never really cared, but as rescues they are just glad for a soft bed. I buy all my blankets and sheets from he op-shops so maybe you can do that rather than try to get the others clean. A rescue will just be glad to have a loving home with you :)

Your not being disloyal to Fred...he'll be in your heart forever.

Hi,

why do you want to clean his scent away at all? It's not something we worry about here and I've never had a problem with new dogs coming in. We're a multiple dog household here and sometimes we look after dogs for other people if it's urgent. Dogs are very accommodating - all they need is love. :thumbsup: It might even make them feel more at home.

Barbara B