Irish Spotting/mismarked Working Kelpies

mixeduppup

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble tracking done the bloodlines that are mostly associated with the irish spotting or mismark in kelpies. The reason i ask is because i've met two in the past (currently own one with stationbred kelpies on one side and coogee on the other) and she has a small amount of irish spotting on her neck and seems to work a lot like a collie and I've notice the other two I met worked very similar to her and was wondering if it was just chance or if there's something in it. I'd love to find out the lines associated with irish spotting and meet some of the dogs or speak to the breeders and have a look at their working style. There's a particular bloodline in Aust that is quite well known for producing the irish spots but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.

Edited by mixeduppup

• 1 year later...

looking on google I assume Irish spotting is white on the muzzel, toes/legs and chest. If so my parents Kelpie x would be a good example.

He's a working dog but don't ask me what style he uses :p

IMG_1284_zpsbcd738dd.jpg

Yup that's irish spotting :) It's sometimes hard to know whether they are pure kelpie or have border collie in them and that's why they work like one. Still can't locate that breeder lolYou can see the white broken stripe on this one's face (not mine). That's the irish spotting I mean. The one I had had a small spot on the top of her neck

http://dims.vetstreet.com/dims3/MMAH/crop/0x0+0+0/resize/645x380/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fassets.prod.vetstreet.com%2F35%2Fda1240aec111e088ab0050568d634f%2Ffile%2FAustralian-Kelpie-3-645km071411.jpg

Edited by mixeduppup

I was curious too because Boss is Red and White kelpie x staffy but he has a little white tip on his tail, white socks, white chest and a small white patch on the back of his neck and was thinking maybe one of the grandparents on the kelpie side has these bloodlines.. I know it could just be the the staffy but the dad was pure black.

I was curious too because Boss is Red and White kelpie x staffy but he has a little white tip on his tail, white socks, white chest and a small white patch on the back of his neck and was thinking maybe one of the grandparents on the kelpie side has these bloodlines.. I know it could just be the the staffy but the dad was pure black.

Was he definitely just pure kelpie cross pure staffy? If so there's a chance, it's tougher to tell with unknowncrosses as there's always a chance there's a number of breeds contributing to colour genetics.

For any Irish marked "Kelpie" I'd be looking towards collie ancestry.

Irish marking is common in quite a few breeds. It certainly occurs in Whippets - I have an Irish marked dog here.

In a dog of Kelpie/SBT ancestry, I'd be looking at the SBT side for the origins of the irish markings.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

For any Irish marked "Kelpie" I'd be looking towards collie ancestry.

Irish marking is common in quite a few breeds. It certainly occurs in Whippets - I have an Irish marked dog here.

In a dog of Kelpie/SBT ancestry, I'd be looking at the SBT side for the origins of the irish markings.

I'm not sure if this is what the OP means though. I've got a lovely Irish marked whippet (funnily though, when I filled his papers out and sent them to the VCA they didn't know what it meant) here but she's called it Irish spotting so I assumed that was something different.

Yep, both pedigree kelpie & staffy.. I know both the owners of the parents. (Accidental mating in a small country town). Don't know the what the grandparents look like though. Would be interesting to know which side though. Has anyone found out the bloodline yet? So peeved I can't remember what I googled to come across the page with it! :(